Home General Discussion

super high priced cigars

asianbiker8asianbiker8 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 551
Is it collector mentality? Just to have them? Or the idea that you're going to smoke that one super expensive rare stick on that one perfect day?

Comments

• lcpleellcpleel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,447
    asianbiker8:
    Is it collector mentality? Just to have them? Or the idea that you're going to smoke that one super expensive rare stick on that one perfect day?
    Ask Steve.
  • AJGARLETTAJGARLETT Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 648
    just for reference...whats "super high priced" in this context? $100+ per stick?
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    lcpleel:
    asianbiker8:
    Ask Steve.
    Says Mr. Opus himself. Wink [;)]
  • HaybletHayblet Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,400
    j0z3r:
    lcpleel:
    asianbiker8:
    Ask Steve.
    Says the guy who just bought 3 boxes of ISOM's Stick out tongue [:P]
    Hayblet:
    j0z3r:
    lcpleel:
    asianbiker8:
    Ask Steve.
    +1 and I'm more like Mr. Pirates gold.
  • asianbiker8asianbiker8 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 551
    AJGARLETT:
    just for reference...whats "super high priced" in this context? $100+ per stick?
    Yeah, in my budget 1-10 is every day priced, 11-20 is a "sure, i'll get something nice for myself" price, 21-50 is "best not let the wife find out" price, 51-100 is "tax refund check and i'm going to go nuts" price, and 101 plus is just out of my imagination.
  • scarlinscarlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,592
    All my expensive ones 20+ are being aged in my humi. No urge to smoke them yet..
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,036
    Falling into your mid-range category, a few that stand out by being exceptional are:
    Perdomo Edicion de Silvio Connecticut
    Ave Maria Reconquista
    Camacho Triple Maduro

My favorite Cubans are the Cohiba EL 2006 and the Maduro 5 (no, I haven't tried the Behike yet).

But to answer the question, yes I believe special days call for special cigars.

• JudoChinXJudoChinX Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 775
    asianbiker8:
    I think it's a mix. I know that a lot of my super premiums (in my mind, $20.00+) are definitely fun to have as part of a collection. Extra thoughtful gifts or bombs also fall here. They will be smoked eventually, but probably not before I replace them in some way.

In the end, they're to be smoked though, so don't be shy, even if you save them up for a special occasion. I have a stick from my secret Santa that still has me reeling. That will be something I keep for the first kid or another huge moment in my life.
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 600
    Who bought 3 boxes of ISOMs?
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Hayblet:
    j0z3r:
    lcpleel:
    asianbiker8:
    Ask Steve.
    Well, it was actually five, but I'm not one to split hairs. The bigger point is that they weren't what I'd call high priced at all, they worked out to a $7.20 average cost. So...you were saying...Big Smile [:D]
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    asianbiker8:
    The real serious collectors, the guys who will spend $1000++ on a box of cigars will typically get boxes and age them for years. Then sell them at auction. People do the same thing with wine. I know if I ever got a box of...let's say...Cohiba BHK52's, I'd age them for at least 7 years before I ever smoked one. Sticks like that are made to be aged IMO.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
    I buy mine to age and smoke....Not all expensive cigars are better than cheaper cigars but I have smoked enough lower end cigars to know that they are nice and because I am a 2 to 3 cigar a day smoker almost always make it in to my lineup, I just prefer higher end cigars, there is a HUGE difference for me....
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    i dont usually spend more than $50 on a single cigar. to be honest, there arent too many out there that i am interested in seriously. partly because of price but mostly because they are rare enough that it isnt worth the effort to find them.

but ive said it before and ill say it again, i have no problem dropping $15-$20 on something like a Davidoff or a rare LFD...
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 908
    asianbiker8:
    AJGARLETT:
    Yeah, in my budget 1-10 is every day priced, 11-20 is a "sure, i'll get something nice for myself" price, 21-50 is "best not let the wife find out" price, 51-100 is "tax refund check and i'm going to go nuts" price, and 101 plus is just out of my imagination.
    wow...........here's my range
    0-$2 - every day price
    $2-$4 - sure, I'll buy some nice smokes for myself
    $4-$8 - rare treat, best not let the wife find out
    $8 - ?? - ha ha ha........um......no

Auction sites on holiday evenings have been good to me lately........ I have been able to get some really good (imho) cigars in my range.
    Besides, given my amateurish palette, you wouldn't catch me smoking a $100 cigar anyways.................I'd sell it and by a box of good $4 sticks!

• camgfscamgfs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 967
    I buy them when I can, and I smoke them. I do keep some sticks for a few years, but I smoke from the box till they are all gone. I have some Cohiba 2002 Reserva that are worth $$$ and those will probably be gone by the end of this year. They are fantastic cigars. I can't always afford the expensive sticks, but adding 5 or 10 years to them makes their value higher and that's my way of having a real expensive cigar.
  • joshvoigtjoshvoigt Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 325
    20.00 is about my max and it has to be something I really really want. Most great sticks can be had for 4-10 bucks. Anymore I've been disappointed with quite a few of the ultra rare high price smokes they just don't add up. Depends on the time and the place but one that never disappoints for me is a Liga Privada no. 9. about 11 bucks and well worth any special occasion I could come up with.
  • DirewolfDirewolf Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,493
    I have spent $30 on a cigar. and that dude is in my humi for awhile.
  • ScottCScottC Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 38
    Are you all aware of Gurkha's His Majesty's Reserve? If not, search for it. Currently not in stock but it sure is intriguing.

Anyone ever have your hands on one of these?
  • JDHJDH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,107
    joshvoigt:
    20.00 is about my max and it has to be something I really really want. Most great sticks can be had for 4-10 bucks. Anymore I've been disappointed with quite a few of the ultra rare high price smokes they just don't add up. Depends on the time and the place but one that never disappoints for me is a Liga Privada no. 9. about 11 bucks and well worth any special occasion I could come up with.
    That's about the way I see it too. Haven't had the Liga Privada, but it's on my list. If you buy well made cigars from blenders who know what they're doing and cure the tobacco well, then you can easily turn a $6 to $8 cigar into something special by aging it. The Oliva V & the Oliva Master Blend are really good examples of that. There's so much ligero in them, and they're very smooth to begin with, but after a couple of years they're just terrific. I want to set some of my Ovals aside and rest them for a couple of years, and I'd bet good money that the MOW PA will do the same.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    ScottC:
    Are you all aware of Gurkha's His Majesty's Reserve? If not, search for it. Currently not in stock but it sure is intriguing.

Pheebs and I have had them. I have had 2 and have one more left. Not sure how many he has/had.
    rwheelwright:
    ScottC:

Pheebs and I have had them. I have had 2 and have one more left. Not sure how many he has/had.
    I've had one and don't think I'll ever pay for them. I had a killer deal and had to try it just to say that I tried it. Smoke a Beast or a Titan if you want a good Gurkha.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    lcpleel:
    rwheelwright:
    ScottC:

I've had one and don't think I'll ever pay for them. I had a killer deal and had to try it just to say that I tried it. Smoke a Beast or a Titan if you want a good Gurkha.
    Isaac, believe me. I have had my share of Gurkhas. I have some titans and beasts with almost 4 years on them. While I admit I haven't had every gurkha out there I can say pretty confidently that I have tried ~75%.
  • Unthought_KnownUnthought_Known Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 454
    I don't buy any just to collect. The most I've spent was about $30/cigar for some high end Padron's (80th Anniversary and some Family Reserves). I still have 2 or 3 of the 80th Anniversary from a box (of 8 cigars) that I got 2 years ago. I usually smoke them on an anniversary or a birthday. I've never been tempted to spend $50+ on a cigar though.
  • asianbiker8asianbiker8 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 551
    i have yet to buy anything over 15 bucks in a shop yet, cant really justify it yet because of my untrained palate.