Home General Discussion

SoapStone Whiskey Rocks? Anyone using them?

caplazacaplaza Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3
I recently discovered Whiskey Stones made of Soap Stone that can keep my whiskey chilled while drinking.  At first I thought it was weird, but now that I used them... WOW!!!!  They are a truely awesome product.  My wife uses them in the AM with her coffee, all you have to do is put them in the microwave for a minute to keep your coffee warmer longer.  

This is a MUST have item!!!  I purchased mine from MGDirect.co, fast shipping, and extremely reliable. 

BTW... The reason why Im posting this is due to purchasing a Montecristo Media Noche during my lunch break... I will be smoking this tonight with some Gentlemens Jack!!!    CANT WAIT!

Comments

• Jiffy78Jiffy78 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 30
    My wife bought me some for Christmas along with some Glencairn whiskey glasses.
    I have been looking at them for a long time, so I'm glad she broke down and got me some. I am really excited to get home and try them.

Do they keep it as cold as you would like?
  • JSaintJSaint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,848
    I bought some from Groupon. Havent received them yet but I have heard they work wonders.
  • caplazacaplaza Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3
    They keep it pretty cool/just cool enough to enhance the flavor with out watering it down.   My house stays a cool temp so my liquor isnt that warm anyway. 
  • cooch36cooch36 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 711
    I got them for x-mas as well. they seem to get whiskey up above room temp but not really cold. I like what it does just wish it made my drink colder.
  • slickricslickric Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 705
    i have used them. they are great if don't want your drink to get watered down
  • jasonusa1jasonusa1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 729
    What type of whiskey are you putting these in?
  • slickricslickric Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 705
  • caplazacaplaza Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3
    You can use any whiskey or any drink at that matter.   You put the stones in your glass then pour the whiskey in the glass.  

https://mgdirect.3dcartstores.com/Whiskey-Stones-Set-of-9_p_91.html

• gripnripgripnrip Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 406
    cooch36:
    I got them for x-mas as well. they seem to get whiskey up above room temp but not really cold. I like what it does just wish it made my drink colder.
    +1 on this....I like my bourbon/rum cold, so they don't work that well for me.
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    I use them and the Glencairn whiskey glasses and like them quite well. Their purpose isn't to keep your drink cold - it's merely to lower the temp of the liquor by a degree or two below room temp, thereby helping to dissipate the ethanol component of the alcohol. The ethanol is the part that burns your throat if you drink it straight (neat).

I've noticed that the sour mash that I drink as everyday booze tastes more like a liqueur when using the stones. Makes it even smoother than normal.

If you're looking for something to cool your drink without watering it down, there are reusable ice cubes on the market. I believe they're plastic, possibly with a liquid center, that you can re-freeze as needed. I've seen them on Amazon but probably others sell them, too.
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    jlmarta:
    I use them and the Glencairn whiskey glasses and like them quite well. Their purpose isn't to keep your drink cold - it's merely to lower the temp of the liquor by a degree or two below room temp, thereby helping to dissipate the ethanol component of the alcohol. The ethanol is the part that burns your throat if you drink it straight (neat).

I've noticed that the sour mash that I drink as everyday booze tastes more like a liqueur when using the stones. Makes it even smoother than normal.

If you're looking for something to cool your drink without watering it down, there are reusable ice cubes on the market. I believe they're plastic, possibly with a liquid center, that you can re-freeze as needed. I've seen them on Amazon but probably others sell them, too.
    Good info! I was just going to post that they're nice but they don't chill it enough for me unless the liquor is really high quality. I think if I use them with this in mine my expectations and thus my experience will be completely different. Thanks!
  • MarkerMarker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,524
    These sound interesting since I like my scotch neat. Hrmm.
  • jasonusa1jasonusa1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 729
    Marker:
    These sound interesting since I like my scotch neat. Hrmm.
    +1
  • cooch36cooch36 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 711
    cooch36:
    I ment below room temp. And yes I do like how it seems smoother.
  • GrazuhGrazuh Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 164
    I've always heard that drinking your whisky cold doesn't allow for as much flavor to come through. I will sometimes drink bourbon on the rocks but I prefer to drink scotch warm with a splash of water. The worst was when I was out to dinner with a vendor for work and he ordered a $20 glass of scotch for me. I asked for it with a splash of water. They put it over a glass full of ice AND added a splash of water. What a waste of good scotch!
  • CharlieCordusCharlieCordus Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 84
    Grazuh:
    I've always heard that drinking your whisky cold doesn't allow for as much flavor to come through. I will sometimes drink bourbon on the rocks but I prefer to drink scotch warm with a splash of water. The worst was when I was out to dinner with a vendor for work and he ordered a $20 glass of scotch for me. I asked for it with a splash of water. They put it over a glass full of ice AND added a splash of water. What a waste of good scotch!
    About 2 years ago I decided that I wanted to learn about scotch. So, over time, I purchased several bottles. Someone once told me to first taste it neat, second try it with a splash cool (not cold) water, then try it on the rocks. I definitely learned alot that way.
  • GrazuhGrazuh Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 164
    CharlieCordus:
    Grazuh:
    About 2 years ago I decided that I wanted to learn about scotch. So, over time, I purchased several bottles. Someone once told me to first taste it neat, second try it with a splash cool (not cold) water, then try it on the rocks. I definitely learned alot that way.
    So how do you typically drink it? Or does it vary based on the brand?
  • oldsoulrevivaloldsoulrevival Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 630
    Frankly, I don't care for them. I think they are more of a novelty than anything else.
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,707
    My fiance got me some as a stocking stuffer this year. I haven't tried them out yet, as I normally drink whiskey neat.
  • kevin1323kevin1323 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 294
    I am a bourbon drinker and I use spherical ice balls made with this thing
  • djbeeniedjbeenie Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 469
    I prefer ice, I like the little extra water added from the ice.