Home General Discussion

CA's Top 25 of 2011

docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
Surprised there isn't already a big thread on this with a lot of arguing, and name calling, and what not (seems to be one on every other board). So numbers 2 through 10 have been announced, and earlier tonight, the number 1 cigar seems to have been leaked by a blogger...
10. Casa Magna Colorado Diadema
9. Warlock Robusto
8. Punch DC
7. Cabaiguan Guapo
6. RP 15th Torpedo
5. Padron 64 Exclusivo Maduro
4. Partagas Serie P. No. 2
3. Illusione Epernay Le Taureau
2. La Aroma de Cuba Mi Amor Belicoso
1. Alec Bradley Prensado Churchill (not 100% on this, but there is pretty solid evidence...)

So for me, the list isn't bad. The only ones that I'm thrown by are the Warlock (absolute total piece of Altadis Dog Shite, trying to jump off the "edgy" Boutique thing), and the Prensado. I love Alan Rubin, and think Alec Bradley sells some great cigars. Being made at Raices Cubanas doesn't hurt, on that front... But the reality is that there isn't a single cigar Alec Bradley sells that makes me go "Oh boy, I can't wait" before I light it. Also, the Cabaiguan Guapo... Uh... a few years late there. In fact, the Cabaiguan Guapo isn't even on the market anymore as the Guapo, it has had a name change since the entire line took the Guapo name. It is now the Cabaiguan Guapos Toro Grande.

For me, there are several cigars further down the list that would be much better #1's than the Prensado. Bummed by that, but at the same time, since this list seems to fuel demand in shops, the casual smokers can have the Prensados. I'll take the Tat Black PLs and other small ring, less loved by CA sticks that the masses didn't even hear about.

Comments

• BigT06BigT06 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,899
    thanks for posting, doc. I can't say I agree with the list... but to each his own, I guess.
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    When even Pete Johnson is posting "AB Prensado" on another board, I think it's safe to say that the Prensado is the one. Bummer.
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    Haven't had a Prensado. I like AB but when I see an AB pull COTY over so many really great, well established sticks it makes me think either I'm stupid or they really got something special.
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    Also really surprised by the Warlock and wondering why the Padron 45 didn't make the top ten this year.
  • BigT06BigT06 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,899
    and where the f*ck is the Undercrown? I know I'm biased... but if this is a 2011 list... who doesn't have that in the top 10? geez
  • RCY CigarsRCY Cigars Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,346
    Well, I had a ten pack of Warlock Robusto and the Torpedos. I gave a few out to fellow BOTL's here. And yes, I've smoke them and thought they were pretty good. As far as rating a cigar and putting it on a count down. I would have no clue if that is a good spot for it or not. But I will say this, my palate my kind of cigar. Along with La Aroma de Cuba Mi Amor Belicoso and Illusione Epernay Le Taureau being box worthy. There's only one cigar on this list that I've had and I did not like and that's the Rocky Patel 15th Torpedo. Not bashing it at all, because it's to each it's own. Yet, I've only had one and it may have been a dud to say the least. One thing for sure, reading Dennis posts and Doc's lets me know I still have a lot to learn about the history of some cigars. For where they came from as a company and to where their going today.
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,971
    BigT06:
    and where the f*ck is the Undercrown? I know I'm biased... but if this is a 2011 list... who doesn't have that in the top 10? geez
    Same with the Oval... :(
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    The AB Prensado is a great stick. I have only had the robusto so far. RP 15th Torp is also a good smoke. Bought a box of these back in nov.
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 600
    I have a Prensado in the humi but I probably gave away the other 4 I bought to other BORKS. Just not a big AB guy...I do want to try the Black Market and Rare sticks.
  • JDHJDH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,107
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    BigT06:
    ++++
  • JudoChinXJudoChinX Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 775
    I liked the Warlock quite a bit. Wish I could give an opinion on the others listed here.
  • kevin1323kevin1323 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 294
    JDH:
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    BigT06:
    ++++
    I am sure there are other cigars with the same issue, but wouldn't the blind tester know what the oval was given it's unique shape?
  • Andrew DzikoskiAndrew Dzikoski BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users, Trusted Users Posts: 338
    I have a special going on a 10pk of the Prensado robustos. Drop me an email if you want to get in on it.
  • jsnakejsnake Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,037
    This is why CA's rating are a joke to so many cigar smokers. Warlock? Seriously? Must be the advertising in the magazine and they have listed the top ten by level of advertising payment. I do like Alec Bradley and the Prensado is one of my favorites so I have no problem with that. Now there will be a mad rush to buy everything on this list but who cares.

Everyone has their own opinions so decide for yourself. I admit I haven't tried them all but for all the new stuff that came out this year my list would definitely be different.
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    BigT06:
    Just wanted to remind everyone that the list I think is only of the cigars that they reviewed this year. I coul dbe wrong on that, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but its not a top25 new relase list and its not an all time top 25, its just a top 25 of the cigars that they reviewed this year. So maybe thye didn't review the Oval or the Undercrown. No idea.

Not defending the list, just pointing that out.

Also does anyone know what the full list is? I only see 1-10 on their site. Do we know what 11-25 are?
  • CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 239
    I gotta agree with the consensus, this list is a joke and it makes me believe what people say about "paying" your way onto the list. Can't believe AJ isn't on the list. The San Lotano Habano is one of the best releases this year, my #1 pick in fact. This rating list is a bunch of malarkey and I will be taking future CA ratings with a grain of salt.
  • CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 239
    Tuesday, January 3: Cigars No. 10, 9 and 8 Wednesday, January 4: Cigars No. 7, 6 and 5 Thursday, January 5: Cigars No. 4, 3 and 2 Friday, January 6: Cigar of the Year Monday, January 9: Remainder of the Top 25 Tuesday, January 10: Best Bargain Cigars of 2011
    For whatever reason, CA seems to love Drew Estate in theory (had a great article about them not long ago actually), but their cigars never get really impressive ratings. I think the Dirty Rat has been relegated to the high 80s even, which seems to be about where Liga lives for them.
  • lcpleellcpleel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,447
    I think its the blend it self they dont like. I personally would give some of the Liga's Ive smoked mid 90's. It is all personal taste.
    lcpleel:
    I think its the blend it self they dont like. I personally would give some of the Liga's Ive smoked mid 90's. It is all personal taste.
    I agree. I have had some outstanding smoking experienced with some Ligas... though the irony of my previous post is that the Dirty Rat has yet to convince me of its greatness. Just never had one that had the intensity, and complexity of flavor that a great No. 9 or even T-52 has. They have all seemed muddled and (lol) dirty.
  • 415415 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 951
    docbp87:
    lcpleel:
    I agree. I have had some outstanding smoking experienced with some Ligas... though the irony of my previous post is that the Dirty Rat has yet to convince me of its greatness. Just never had one that had the intensity, and complexity of flavor that a great No. 9 or even T-52 has. They have all seemed muddled and (lol) dirty.
    glad im not the only person who feels this way about the dirty rat.
  • AJGARLETTAJGARLETT Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 648
    the power of these ratings is AMAZING.... both Ccom and sister are both sold out of Prensado churchills....lol
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,036
    So the #1 cigar is the Prensado Churchill, but the Beard send out an email offer for "CA's #1 RATED CIGAR"...and it's the robusto.

Shaun, ever since I saw the Camacho Triple Maduro score an 88, I don't pay attention to the ratings.
    When contemplating a smoke I haven't tried yet, I listen to the guys here and on the banter next door and use that as a gauge.

• scarlinscarlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,592
    Steve2010:
    So the #1 cigar is the Prensado Churchill, but the Beard send out an email offer for "CA's #1 RATED CIGAR"...and it's the robusto.

Shaun, ever since I saw the Camacho Triple Maduro score an 88, I don't pay attention to the ratings.
    When contemplating a smoke I haven't tried yet, I listen to the guys here and on the banter next door and use that as a gauge.

Checked the main site and the Churchills are on Order. Lotano got shafted!
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    I can't believe Warlock made the top ten, what a crappy cigar. And Prensado, I've had several and I thought they were one of the better AB blends I've had but not top 10 worthy at all, no way number one. I guess my feelings are shared by many on the board. Nice top 10, whatever.

I would like to try a Casa Magna Colorado and a LADC Mi Amor one of these days, those do look tasty.
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,036
    scarlin:
    Steve2010:

I understand that, but what I disagree with is that the Prensado Churchill got the "#1 rating", and now retailers are using that as a selling point for all the vitolas within the lineup. And yes, AJ got hosed.
  • chemforeverchemforever Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,200
    scarlin:
    Steve2010:

more for those of us that know better. I would say the list could be a dis service since I would expect fewer deals on the top rated sticks for a while.
  • MephistoMephisto Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 508
    I'm having a Prensado Robusto right now, been sitting on it for few months. I like AB in general but I don't know about number one of the year.
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    Alec Bradley has never wowed me...

That being said, I like some of the other smokes you guys are talking about, the Oval, under crown etc...

I like these lists, cuz then I can look at what people are bitching about and actually know what cigars to go try!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    415:
    docbp87:
    lcpleel:
    glad im not the only person who feels this way about the dirty rat.
    the original dirty rat i agree is not as impressive as i want it to be.

the Ratzilla is very good. this is one of the few cigars that i feel a larger ring did a considerable amount of good. if you get the chance check that cigar out. you may like it more.