Home General Discussion

Info on FDA

MVW67MVW67 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,447
Stopped and talked to my state rep, had her send this letter to me so I could post it, Thought it was interesting, it had to come accross her committee, Where is Bill Posey from?? (still could hurt the smaller machine made cigars)] Dear Mr. Williams :] Thank you for contacting me about cigars. It is good to hear from you and I apologize for the delay in my response.] I appreciate knowing of your concern that the Food and Drug and Administration (FDA) may begin regulating cigars. T he Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act provides the FDA with the legal authority to regulate cigarettes and smokeless tobacco. The Act also enables the FDA to regulate other tobacco products if it determines that those products should be subject to control under the law . Hence, the FDA may only regulate cigars after issuing a final rule stating that doing so would be appropriate under the Tobacco Control Act. While the FDA has not yet issued a rule on the subject, Rep. Bill Posey has introduced preemptive legislation to preclude the FDA from regulating traditional large and premium cigars. The Traditional Cigar Manufacturing and Small Business Jobs Preservation Act (H.R. 1639) would exempt traditional large and premium cigars from FDA regulation and from user fees assessed on tobacco products by the FDA. This measure has been referred to the House Energy and Commerce Committee, on which I serve. Please know that I will keep your thoughts in mind should H.R. 1639 or similar legislation come before me. Again, thank you for sharing your views. Your opinion matters to me. If I can be of service to you in any other way, please do not hesitate to let me know. As a security precaution, all mail sent to Congress is first irradiated. This process causes significant delays. To ensure the fastest response, I encourage all constituents who have access to the internet to contact me through my website at http://tammybaldwin.house.gov .