Home General Discussion

Well my GA Senator gave me the run around letter for Tobacco S.1461

djbeeniedjbeenie Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 469
Thank you for contacting me regarding S.1461, Traditional Cigar Manufacturing and Small Business Jobs Preservation Act of 2011. I appreciate your comments, and I am glad to have this opportunity to respond.

As a member of the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee, and as someone who represents a state in which agriculture is the number one industry, I take a keen interest in the issue of tobacco regulation. S.1461 was introduced on August 1, 2011, by Senator Bill Nelson (D-FL). This legislation amends the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act to exempt traditional large and premium cigars from regulation by the Secretary of Health and Human Services through the Food and Drug Administration, also known as the FDA. It would also exempt traditional large and premium cigars from user fees assessed on tobacco products by the FDA. S.1461 is currently pending in the Senate HELP Committee.

As my colleagues on the Senate HELP Committee continue to review such proposals, I will evaluate all legislation based on merit. While doing so, I will continue to keep your thoughts in mind.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please visit my webpage at http://isakson.senate.gov/ for more information on the issues important to you and to sign up for my e-newsletter.

Sincerely,
Johnny Isakson
United States Senator

Comments

• y2pascoey2pascoe Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,707
    I emailed my state legislators not too long ago and I was responded to with the same useless drivel. "I will keep your thoughts in mind...BLAH BLAH BLAH....Vote Quimby!" Not one of the responses I've read to myself or anyone on this forum presents a clear stance on this issue. If they're against the bill and want FDA regulations to go through, why not just say so. Oh, wait, that would involve the truth. I know how unfond most polititions are of the truth. Bunch of special interest pandering zeros.
  • JDHJDH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,107
    djbeenie:
    Thank you for contacting me regarding S.1461, Traditional Cigar Manufacturing and Small Business Jobs Preservation Act of 2011. I appreciate your comments, and I am glad to have this opportunity to respond.

As a member of the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee, and as someone who represents a state in which agriculture is the number one industry, I take a keen interest in the issue of tobacco regulation. S.1461 was introduced on August 1, 2011, by Senator Bill Nelson (D-FL). This legislation amends the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act to exempt traditional large and premium cigars from regulation by the Secretary of Health and Human Services through the Food and Drug Administration, also known as the FDA. It would also exempt traditional large and premium cigars from user fees assessed on tobacco products by the FDA. S.1461 is currently pending in the Senate HELP Committee.

As my colleagues on the Senate HELP Committee continue to review such proposals, I will evaluate all legislation based on merit. While doing so, I will continue to keep your thoughts in mind.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please visit my webpage at http://isakson.senate.gov/ for more information on the issues important to you and to sign up for my e-newsletter.

Sincerely,
    Johnny Isakson
    United States Senator
    This quote is from my US Congressman, Ben Chandler (D) KY

You will be pleased to know that I became a cosponsor of this legislation on October 13, 2011. Like you, I believe H.R. 1639 would protect cigar store owners from burdensome regulations while also allowing for rules that keep minors from purchasing cigarettes.
    JDH:
    djbeenie:

Sincerely,
    Johnny Isakson
    United States Senator

You will be pleased to know that I became a cosponsor of this legislation on October 13, 2011. Like you, I believe H.R. 1639 would protect cigar store owners from burdensome regulations while also allowing for rules that keep minors from purchasing cigarettes.
    Well...I guess that's 1!
  • djbeeniedjbeenie Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 469
    JDH:
    djbeenie:

Sincerely,
    Johnny Isakson
    United States Senator

Nice!
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    What a wuss. That letter meant nothing. "I take a keen interest in the issue of tobacco regulation". Right. What does that mean?
  • taythegibstaythegibs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,024
    djbeenie:

Sincerely,
    Johnny Isakson
    United States Senator

Thats about the same thing i got from Saxby Chambliss today...

y2pascoe:
    JDH:
    djbeenie:

Sincerely,
    Johnny Isakson
    United States Senator

Well...I guess that's 1!

Heres another for 1639-

Dear Mr. Gibs,
    Thank you for contacting me with your support for H.R. 1639, the Traditional Cigar Manufacturing and Small Business Jobs Preservation Act. It is good to hear from you.
    As you may know, the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act, or the Tobacco Act, was passed by the Democrat controlled Congress in and grants the Federal Drug Administration (FDA) authority to regulate tobacco. On April 15, 2011, Representative Bill Posey introduced H.R. 1639 to remove large and premium cigars from being under the FDA's jurisdiction. This bill has been referred to the Committee on Energy and Commerce, of which I am not a Member, and no hearings have been held.
    Like you, I do not support legislation that harms business growth and stifles our economic recovery. That is why I am a co-sponsor of H.R. 1639 and look forward to supporting it, should it come before me for a vote in the U.S. House of Representatives.
    Again, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me on this important matter. Your input helps me to better serve you in the U.S. House of Representatives. If I can be of any further service, please let me know.

Sincerely,

Tom Graves
    Member of Congress
  • djbeeniedjbeenie Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 469
    taythegibs:
    djbeenie:

Sincerely,
    Johnny Isakson
    United States Senator

Thats about the same thing i got from Saxby Chambliss today...

y2pascoe:
    JDH:
    djbeenie:

Sincerely,
    Johnny Isakson
    United States Senator

Well...I guess that's 1!

Heres another for 1639-

Dear Mr. Gibs,
    Thank you for contacting me with your support for H.R. 1639, the Traditional Cigar Manufacturing and Small Business Jobs Preservation Act. It is good to hear from you.
    As you may know, the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act, or the Tobacco Act, was passed by the Democrat controlled Congress in and grants the Federal Drug Administration (FDA) authority to regulate tobacco. On April 15, 2011, Representative Bill Posey introduced H.R. 1639 to remove large and premium cigars from being under the FDA's jurisdiction. This bill has been referred to the Committee on Energy and Commerce, of which I am not a Member, and no hearings have been held.
    Like you, I do not support legislation that harms business growth and stifles our economic recovery. That is why I am a co-sponsor of H.R. 1639 and look forward to supporting it, should it come before me for a vote in the U.S. House of Representatives.
    Again, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me on this important matter. Your input helps me to better serve you in the U.S. House of Representatives. If I can be of any further service, please let me know.

Sincerely,

Tom Graves
    Member of Congress
    Yeah got the Same Saxby Chambliss, which is retarded because we are a farming State.
    Dear Mr. Brooks:
    Thank you for taking the time to contact me regarding S. 1461, the "Traditional Cigar Manufacturing and Small Business Jobs Preservation Act of 2011." It is good to hear from you, and I appreciate you letting me know your thoughts.
    S. 1461 was introduced in the Senate on August 1, 2011, and was referred to the Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions for further review. If enacted, this legislation would exempt traditional large and premium cigars from regulation by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). It would also waive user fees enforced by the FDA on tobacco products that are wrapped only in leaf tobacco, contain no filter, and weigh at least 6 pounds per 1,000 count. Should this legislation come before the full Senate, I will keep your thoughts and views in mind. If you would like to receive timely email alerts regarding the latest congressional actions and my weekly e-newsletter, please sign up via my web site at: www.chambliss.senate.gov. Please let me know whenever I may be of assistance.
  • Unthought_KnownUnthought_Known Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 454
    beatnic:
    What a wuss. That letter meant nothing. "I take a keen interest in the issue of tobacco regulation". Right. What does that mean?
    Honestly, if I was a senator and I received a hundred generic emails about an issue, I'd probably respond with a generic reply. I think that's part of the problem with some of the websites that we go to in order to email our senators. They fill out a template and we just put our name on it. It's not personal in any way, so why should they take time for a personal reply?
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    This from Senator David Vitter of Louisiana.

As you know, the FDA has published notices indicating its intention to regulate premium cigars under the Tobacco Act, which primarily targeted cigarettes. Cigars are considered tobacco products under this law, but the FDA must first issue a regulation subjecting cigars to its requirements. To stop these actions by the FDA, the Traditional Cigar Manufacturing and Small Business Jobs Prevention Act would exempt premium cigars from the FDA's authority under the Tobacco Act.

I support your right to sell legal products and understand that many regulations, taxes, and "user fees" are unreasonable, especially for small businesses. One-size-fits-all regulations do not work for many products. Also, I support appropriate efforts to educate consumers about the dangers of tobacco use. Rest assured that I will keep your thoughts in mind as the U.S. Senate considers this legislation.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts on this important issue. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future about other issues important to you.
    Unthought_Known:
    beatnic:
    Honestly, if I was a senator and I received a hundred generic emails about an issue, I'd probably respond with a generic reply. I think that's part of the problem with some of the websites that we go to in order to email our senators. They fill out a template and we just put our name on it. It's not personal in any way, so why should they take time for a personal reply?
    Sure it's a generic response to a generic letter, but it still could convey a stance on the subject matter, whether it be in support of or against.
  • JDHJDH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,107
    Everybody on this forum, especially all Republicans, ought to write Mitch McConnell.