Home General Discussion

It's so much more than what people think

SalemSalem Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 717
I know I've only been smoking cigars for a few weeks now, but in doing so, I find that smoking a cigar gives me what I wanted and needed from it and so much more than what I thought. You find yourself a comfy spot and settle in for at least 45 minutes. You look at your pick of cigar for the day, take it out of the wrapper, feel it's texture with your fingers, then smell it, smelling the uniqueness of that one cigar. You cut it at just that right place. Lightning it is an art form in itself, making sure you don't touch the flame to the end. Then puff on it to get the flame rounded out on the end. Then you are ready for the smoke. I'm a beginner, but am starting to taste the complexities of the cigar and have learned how to exhale some smoke through my nose, which makes tasting the flavors and smelling them easier. In doing all the above, I am able to relax and my worries just melt away. For that period of time, I'm concentrating on something enjoyable that not everyone is lucky enough to enjoy or even know they could. I look at the day in my backyard and If I've woken my Lab up, I pet her some and enjoy her beauty. I enjoy the beauty of the nature of my backyard, the birds, the trees, the weather if it's good. All by smoking a cigar. Somehow, it's more enjoyable with a cigar......So it's more than simply smoking a cigar. So much more.

Comments

• kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Your preaching to the choir here Salem, these are some of the reasons we all enjoy this hobby. Until someone has experienced it , they don't know what they are missing. The way you express it here may be able to convince those opposed to it to give it a try, or allow those of us who do enjoy it, to do so without disapproval.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    Salem:
    I know I've only been smoking cigars for a few weeks now, but in doing so, I find that smoking a cigar gives me what I wanted and needed from it and so much more than what I thought. You find yourself a comfy spot and settle in for at least 45 minutes. You look at your pick of cigar for the day, take it out of the wrapper, feel it's texture with your fingers, then smell it, smelling the uniqueness of that one cigar. You cut it at just that right place. Lightning it is an art form in itself, making sure you don't touch the flame to the end. Then puff on it to get the flame rounded out on the end. Then you are ready for the smoke. I'm a beginner, but am starting to taste the complexities of the cigar and have learned how to exhale some smoke through my nose, which makes tasting the flavors and smelling them easier. In doing all the above, I am able to relax and my worries just melt away. For that period of time, I'm concentrating on something enjoyable that not everyone is lucky enough to enjoy or even know they could. I look at the day in my backyard and If I've woken my Lab up, I pet her some and enjoy her beauty. I enjoy the beauty of the nature of my backyard, the birds, the trees, the weather if it's good. All by smoking a cigar. Somehow, it's more enjoyable with a cigar......So it's more than simply smoking a cigar. So much more.
    Yep
  • SalemSalem Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 717
    LOL, you know a woman has to put a sentimental view on things!
  • The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    A woman who knows,,,,Its a beautiful thing!
    The Kid:
    A woman who knows,,,,Its a beautiful thing!
    LOL!
  • KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    Tell My Wife. Please!
  • The SniperThe Sniper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,910
    What you said is pretty well EXACTLY why I took up the hobby. Smoking a cigar pretty well forces me to take an hour or so and do absolutely NOTHING but enjoy myself. For a type-A personality who cant sit still, thats important stuff.

• jr_p951jr_p951 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,121
    I'm with ya Salem! Sometimes I just like to kick back and try not to think about all the stress in life. However, I also like to tinker around the garage with a cigar. Just do little odd and end jobs at my work bench. Nothing extravagent that requires two hands and alot of time, that defeats the purpose of the smoke. Depends on what I'm smoking I guess.
  • JDHJDH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,107
    Salem:
    Yep, that's pretty much it. I really value the time spent on my back porch sacrificing another stogie. Last year the wife got me some outdoor speakers, so I can stream music from my computer and rock out with Clapton or the Almand Brothers, or smooth our with Dave Brubeck or Miles Davis or Winton Marcellous, or chill out with Beethoven, or Wagner, orTchaikovsky, or Gershwin, or just have some peace & quiet, whatever my mood happens to be.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    The Sniper:
    What you said is pretty well EXACTLY why I took up the hobby. Smoking a cigar pretty well forces me to take an hour or so and do absolutely NOTHING but enjoy myself. For a type-A personality who cant sit still, thats important stuff.

I can tell you other ways to enjoy "yourself"...

back on topic, very nicely done, I agree. Cigars are a little bit of relaxation, well the good ones.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    KCW:
    Tell My Wife. Please!
    my wife gets it. however, she doesnt partake. she doesnt mind me smoking so much though.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    You have it figured out Salem. My back porch is my special place and I enjoy many of the same things. Didn't realize anyone else liked watching the birds while enjoying the Allman Bros and Taichovsky within the same session. BTW, 1st Piano Concerto in B flat minor is my favorite.
  • acewoodsonacewoodson Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 191
    I have trouble slowing down for anything but this is why I smoke mostly churchills so it takes a good 45-60 minutes. I stop for the duration of the cigar, relax and don't have any priorities other than kicking back and enjoying a good smoke. I don't smoke so many that it is an expensive habit, just a nice escape. Enjoy the moment brother.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    You hit the nail on the head there. Most people who don't smoke cigars just don't get it. To them there's no difference from cigarettes.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    fla-gypsy:
    You have it figured out Salem. My back porch is my special place and I enjoy many of the same things. Didn't realize anyone else liked watching the birds while enjoying the Allman Bros and Taichovsky within the same session. BTW, 1st Piano Concerto in B flat minor is my favorite.
    . Allman brothers...now that's what I'm talking about!!! Duane slide fanatic checking in, regards. Dustin
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    I find the longer I take, the better and I honestly ruin the moment if I do not have the correct amount of time to relax and let go. Its become rather addicting...
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,377
    Salem, you are 200 % correct! Smoking cigars, especially now that my wife smokes with me, is a meaningful time to relax and just talk or enjoy the time together.

Since my son got me into man made cigars a few years ago, my blood pressure has dopped 20 points and I think that is due to forcing myself to relax for an hour or so daily and chill. I'm not one to smoke a cigar while doing something else, although I will smoke on a long drive.

For a new smoker, you are very perceptive.
    For me, I'm a pretty impatient person, and smoking also forces me to slow down and take everything in and enjoy the moments. Rather than sit and wish the time were over, I relish the time sitting with a good cigar. For me the benefits are endless. I love it.
    fla-gypsy:
    I think you've confused Salem and me. I recently made a playlist with a bunch of jazz artists, Gershwin, some ragtime, and some of the "big sound" classical pieces, and stream them while I'm enjoying some quality time. Surprisingly, they flow together pretty well, and the transitions are really interesting.

Sounds like we've got a few things in common; music, cigars, a big ole back porch, and we could probably have a great time together as long as we avoid the Civil War!
    Salem:
    For me, I'm a pretty impatient person, and smoking also forces me to slow down and take everything in and enjoy the moments. Rather than sit and wish the time were over, I relish the time sitting with a good cigar. For me the benefits are endless. I love it.
    Amen to this. My wife has been telling me that I have no penchant for patience for over 30 years, but this hobby is starting to make inroads on that little problem.
    JDH:
    fla-gypsy:
    I think you've confused Salem and me. I recently made a playlist with a bunch of jazz artists, Gershwin, some ragtime, and some of the "big sound" classical pieces, and stream them while I'm enjoying some quality time. Surprisingly, they flow together pretty well, and the transitions are really interesting.

Sounds like we've got a few things in common; music, cigars, a big ole back porch, and we could probably have a great time together as long as we avoid the Civil War!
    JDH, you've given me a good idea, while out there I'd love to pipe some music out there too. What a great combo!! I have a very eclectic taste in music.
    Salem:
    JDH:
    fla-gypsy:

JDH, you've given me a good idea, while out there I'd love to pipe some music out there too. What a great combo!! I have a very eclectic taste in music.
    Get some tunes and a hot tub out there, and hubby won't be able to say no...guranteed!
    JDH:
    Salem:
    JDH:
    fla-gypsy:
    I think you've confused Salem and me. I recently made a playlist with a bunch of jazz artists, Gershwin, some ragtime, and some of the "big sound" classical pieces, and stream them while I'm enjoying some quality time. Surprisingly, they flow together pretty well, and the transitions are rally interesting.

Get some tunes and a hot tub out there, and hubby won't be able to say no...guranteed!
    YES!!! Great idea!
  • JudoChinXJudoChinX Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 775
    These qualities are what makes it easy for me to get the inexperienced to enjoy a smoke with me.