Home General Discussion

Too sick to smoke a.k.a When did this hobby take over my life?

rudel.dietrichrudel.dietrich Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 33
It has been 13 days since I enjoyed my last cigar. I did not smoke through Christmas due to being busy. I got some wonderful cigar gifts for Christmas and had planned on a nice day after Christmas smoke. The weather turned cold and wet the day after Christmas and I decided to brave it to go shopping.

It has been a tradition for the last four years for me to go shopping the day after Christmas. I am by no means a big shopper except on this one day. I did visit a tobacconist that day and picked up even more cigars (my two humidors are bursting at the seams)

I didn't feel very well when I woke up and the cold and rain did not help. My throat hurt and mucus membranes were in overdrive. I ended up not smoking that night or any night afterwards. I can't taste anything so I figured why waste a good stick and not be able to enjoy it 100%. But the sad part is that I could be this way for a few more weeks before my taste returns to normal.

I can tell that I have turned into a hardcore hobbyist because the thoughts of tobacco swirl around my head almost all day long. I have even contemplated going out into the cold winter to buy some cheap $4 nubs to curve the cravings. I did not do that and now my desperation has hit even new lows. Earlier today I almost willed myself out of the house to purchase a 10 pack of Cigarillos.

The two weeks have not been a total waste however. I did use the time to do a lot of internet research and have compiled a list of stick that I want to order this spring. Some very lovley Brazilian and Cameroon wrappers.

I also pulled every cigar out of my humidors and set up an Excel program to catalouge them and rate them for future remembrence. I have 127 cigars now and two sealed boxes from Christmas. With every cigar out of the humidors I used some distilled water and PG and rubbed down the entire interior wood surface again. I was having some trouble with getting enough humidification due to the new house and the weather. I also redid the humidification system in both humidors and used a mini vaccum to vaccum up all of the tobacco particals.

I then used some left over Spanish cedar from some used cigar boxes to create some new dividers and shelves for my humidors. I used some silicon glue and foam from a hardware store to put on the ends of the dividers. From there I put all of my stock back into the humidors and divided them by wrapped and style. All of the Cubans are together, all of the Maduros are together, all of the Sumatras etc. Now they can age together and the oils that each stick secrets will blend together with other sticks from their own styles.

This is a long post but a needed one :) I have been so sick lately that I have not done much of anything. Way too much pent up energy that needed to be unleashed. And even though I can't enjoy a good smoke, writing about it helps somewhat.

And now I will pose a question. What do the rest of you do when you get sick? Do you stop smoking? Do you switich to quicker and cheaper sticks? Or do you just keep smoking like nothing has changed? This should be a interesting topic.

P.S. Make sure you light up an extra one tonight for me.

Comments

• rudel.dietrichrudel.dietrich Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 33
    Why is nothing I write on this forum ever formatted? It is really annoying and makes me not want to post here. I also know if must make the readers eyes bleed when they look at one of my posts. Any help would be apprechiated.
  • MarkerMarker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,524
    You need to use some HTML formatting.

Click quote on this post and notice the 'br' things in it. Those will give you a new line for each one you use. Cut and paste from word or notepad will not work. The IT people at Ccom just smoke cigars and come up with words that get **** out.
  • jj20030jj20030 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,448
    i have the same thing going on that started 2-3 days ago and seems everyone else around here too, been 2 days for me so far but might be a week more for me too,, i usully will smoke but this time im coughing head colds to where my throat is scratched up so ill wait awhile to heal up, thanks marker been wondering how to do that
    Marker:
    You need to use some HTML formatting.

Click quote on this post and notice the 'br' things in it. Those will give you a new line for each one you use. Cut and paste from word or notepad will not work. The IT people at Ccom just smoke cigars and come up with words that get **** out.
    Yeah :)

That worked. Not perfect but it works for now.
  • MarkerMarker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,524
    Now that you have learned something Grasshopper... click on the inbox top right of the cigar.com forums page. See how that works for you.
    Marker:
    Now that you have learned something Grasshopper... click on the inbox top right of the cigar.com forums page. See how that works for you.
    Done and done
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    i never smoke when i am sick. cigars are supposed to be enjoyed to their fulles. how can i do that when i cant taste or smell anything?

• KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 908
    sickie?? no smokie......that's it