Home General Discussion

Just received my first CCOM purchase...

oldsoulrevivaloldsoulrevival Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 630
Fantastic service. I got onto live chat, and Andy D was incredibly helpful. Overall, a pleasant shopping experience.

First humidor and cigars:
Arturo Fuente Hemingway, Classic, Cameroon
Illusione, Epernay '10 le matin, habano
Camacho Corojo, Churchill, Habano
Macanudo Vintage Maduro 1997, perfecto Maduro
My Father
Man o War Ruination
Padron 1926
Opus X Lost City
Cohiba Puro Dominicana

Which cigars should I age and which should I jump into?

Thanks again to CCOM for a fantastic consumer experience :)

Comments

• james40james40 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,450
    Dayum bro, that's a great selection you have. Congrats on your order. You will need to season that humidor before putting any cigars in there. Do you also have a hygrometer? That will need to be calibrated as well for accurate readings of humidity. You can perform a salt test to calibrate that. Man, I'm still drooling over that list, lol. Post up any questions you have.
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,121
    Very nice selection of smokes. I'd smoke the Ruination and let the others rest. Just me though.
  • jj20030jj20030 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,448
    he aint playin around, nice selection
  • MVW67MVW67 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,447
    jj20030:
    he aint playin around, nice selection
    When he jumps in he jumps IN!!!! :)
  • chemforeverchemforever Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,200
    epernay should be good to smoke right now, I would only hold off on smoking the ones I wanted to save for a special occasion.
  • MVW67MVW67 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,447
    chemforever:
    epernay should be good to smoke right now, I would only hold off on smoking the ones I wanted to save for a special occasion.
    I think I need more special occassions to smoke the ones i have been saving....LOL!!
  • chemforeverchemforever Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,200
    MVW67:
    chemforever:
    I think I need more special occassions to smoke the ones i have been saving....LOL!!
    Same here brother! ROFL
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,836
    Andy is a great guy. Very nice order man, enjoy!
  • JDHJDH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,107
    oldsoulrevival:
    Fantastic service. I got onto live chat, and Andy D was incredibly helpful. Overall, a pleasant shopping experience. First humidor and cigars: Arturo Fuente Hemingway, Classic, Cameroon Illusione, Epernay '10 le matin, habano Camacho Corojo, Churchill, Habano Macanudo Vintage Maduro 1997, perfecto Maduro My Father Man o War Ruination Padron 1926 Opus X Lost City Cohiba Puro Dominicana Which cigars should I age and which should I jump into? Thanks again to CCOM for a fantastic consumer experience :)
    Woah! Very nice!

The Padron doesn't need any age, it's got plenty already. I'd save the Opus for a special occasion, and I'd age the My Father, the Comacho, the Fuente, and the Illusione, and burn up the rest, but then again I like to burn 'em up. Whatever you do with 'em, smile while yer doin it!
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 908
    oldsoulrevival:
    Fantastic service. I got onto live chat, and Andy D was incredibly helpful. Overall, a pleasant shopping experience. First humidor and cigars: Arturo Fuente Hemingway, Classic, Cameroon Illusione, Epernay '10 le matin, habano Camacho Corojo, Churchill, Habano Macanudo Vintage Maduro 1997, perfecto Maduro My Father Man o War Ruination Padron 1926 Opus X Lost City Cohiba Puro Dominicana Which cigars should I age and which should I jump into? Thanks again to CCOM for a fantastic consumer experience :)
    Don't listen to the above comments.........they are simply trying to be nice.
    Most all of those cigars on your list suck, and age poorly.....and won't be ready to smoke (as badly as they do) for months or years.............I feel bad for you.....however....
    Lucky for you, I'm here to help
    I have a great collection of ready-to-smoke cigars, and being the cool guy that I am, will be happy to trade with you......just let me know.......

• ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,539
    KingoftheCove:
    oldsoulrevival:
    Don't listen to the above comments.........they are simply trying to be nice.
    Most all of those cigars on your list suck, and age poorly.....and won't be ready to smoke (as badly as they do) for months or years.............I feel bad for you.....however....
    Lucky for you, I'm here to help
    I have a great collection of ready-to-smoke cigars, and being the cool guy that I am, will be happy to trade with you......just let me know.......

LOL!! these sticks are awesome nice selection.
  • oldsoulrevivaloldsoulrevival Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 630
    james40:
    Dayum bro, that's a great selection you have. Congrats on your order. You will need to season that humidor before putting any cigars in there. Do you also have a hygrometer? That will need to be calibrated as well for accurate readings of humidity. You can perform a salt test to calibrate that. Man, I'm still drooling over that list, lol. Post up any questions you have.

The humidor is seasoning as we speak, and my hygrometer is finishing up a salt test calibration in about 4 hours. The cigars should be fine in the sealed bags with the humi-care packs for another 24 hours, right?

It took me about a week or two to come up with that list. I did a lot of reading, a lot of adding and deleting from my cart, and finally settled on it. The two big deals I got from it were the Man O War/My father pack (5 of each) for about 45 bucks, and then I bought a membership to CCOM for 30, but since my order was almost 300 bucks, I was able to get 10% off, which paid for the subscription. I get 3 Cohiba Puro Dominicanas and 5 other cigars with it.

I have had about half of the cigars I bought before, and the other half are just based on reviews and research, and knowing who I've agreed with in the past. I am so excited :) Friends are coming over tonight for cigars and a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 20! WOOHOO!

Also, LOL @ KingoftheCove - I appreciate your sense of humor :)
    Okay, my only other question is:

WHO IS "THE BEARD"?

I keep seeing people posting stuff about The Beard giving them cigars - who is this person? What do people mean when they label a picture of cigars with "Courtesy of The Beard"? Does he just give cigars away or something?
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    oldsoulrevival:
    Okay, my only other question is: WHO IS "THE BEARD"? I keep seeing people posting stuff about The Beard giving them cigars - who is this person? What do people mean when they label a picture of cigars with "Courtesy of The Beard"? Does he just give cigars away or something?
    I am going to guess they are referring to Mr. Blythe, he is one of the reps??!!? I had a customer service issue and he went WELL above and beyond the call of duty, which is why I am here. P.S. You sticks will be fine in the bags, I would season for 2 days to make sure the humidor is stable. I made the mistake once and had to rebag. A digital is the way to go, I use the Planet Waves since I'm a guitar player. I also bought another humidor...you will need it bro as those sticks will need age, and you will need more in the meantime.
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    oldsoulrevival:
    Okay, my only other question is: WHO IS "THE BEARD"? I keep seeing people posting stuff about The Beard giving them cigars - who is this person? What do people mean when they label a picture of cigars with "Courtesy of The Beard"? Does he just give cigars away or something?
    The Beard is indeed Tim Blythe. Your cigars will be fine in that bad, but you might want to give them a week or so to acclimate to your humidor once you put them in there to acclimate before you smoke one. They don't need age so much as a short amount of rest, because they can get a bit wonky in transit even with the lengths ccom goes to in order to make the disturbance minimal.

Or just smoke one tonight. Maybe one you got more than one of, just in case it's wonky.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    Dang ! Brother doesn't mess around.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Nice selections there oldsoul, but then of course. All are great now, and improve with age, but I would age the Opus Lost City for sure. Next time double up and you can judge for yourself. Never tried the My Father though so I don;t have first hand advice.
    Tonight we smoked the Man O War Ruinations- Great cigar! Incredible burn, and the flavors are incredible!

QUESTION:
    I am calibrating my hygrometer right now, and it seems to be going up sooooo slowly. I am doing a salt test, but I am so worried that I did it wrong. How can I be sure that the my salt to water ratio is correct? does it usually take a long time to calibrate? If my digital is off by 10 points on the first try, is something wrong with it, or is that normal?
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,077
    oldsoulrevival:
    Tonight we smoked the Man O War Ruinations- Great cigar! Incredible burn, and the flavors are incredible! QUESTION: I am calibrating my hygrometer right now, and it seems to be going up sooooo slowly. I am doing a salt test, but I am so worried that I did it wrong. How can I be sure that the my salt to water ratio is correct? does it usually take a long time to calibrate? If my digital is off by 10 points on the first try, is something wrong with it, or is that normal?
    Remove any excess water from the salt with a paper towel and that will leave you with a wet clump of salt. Shouldn't take more than 4 hours to reach equilibrium but you can check it at 4 and 8 hours if you like to be sure. If you don't trust your readings recalibrate it a second time in 24 hours. Congrats on that list of cigars you put together for your first ccom purchase. You must be some kind of freakin' genius!