Home General Discussion

HR 1639 mini update

KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 908
Got this from my Congressman today
===============
Dear Horst:
  Thanks for contacting me about cigars.  HR 1639 is slowly making its way through the legislative process but it's hard to judge whether it'll really gain traction.  As Ranking Democrat on the Agriculture Appropriations Subcommittee I have jurisdiction over the FDA and am sensitive to the pros-and-cons of regulatory actions that try to protect health but that sometimes go overboard in their application.
  I will keep an eye on actions directed toward specialty cigar manufacturers with your comments in mind. 
Your input will be helpful to the debate.
  Sincerely,
SAM FARR
Member of Congress
===============

Looks like we may have one guy helping us out a bit.....

Comments

• bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    GO SAMM FARR!!! He seems like a terrifi........aughhhhhhhhhh......someone just stole my candy!!! Damn it!!!
  • amz1301amz1301 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,287
    Here's what I got today.

Dear Mr. Z.......:

Thank you for getting in touch with me to express your support for the Traditional Cigar Manufacturing and Small Business Jobs Preservation Act of 2011 (S. 1461). It's good to hear from you.

I understand your concerns about the regulation of the cigar industry. At a time of great economic uncertainty, we cannot afford to turn our backs on the small businesses and industries that create and provide jobs in Maryland and throughout our nation. I will continue to fight to make sure that we are creating an environment in which small businesses can prosper.

I appreciate hearing of your support for S. 1461. This legislation would amend the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act to exempt traditional large and premium cigars from regulation by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and from user fees assessed on tobacco products by the FDA. S. 1461 is currently pending in the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions. I will keep your views in mind as we continue working on this important issue.

Thanks once again for writing. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any assistance in the future.

Sincerely,
    Barbara A. Mikulski
    United States Senator
  • JDHJDH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,107
    KingoftheCove:
    ===============
    Dear Horst:
      Thanks for contacting me about cigars.  HR 1639 is slowly making its way through the legislative process but it's hard to judge whether it'll really gain traction.  As Ranking Democrat on the Agriculture Appropriations Subcommittee I have jurisdiction over the FDA and am sensitive to the pros-and-cons of regulatory actions that try to protect health but that sometimes go overboard in their application.
      I will keep an eye on actions directed toward specialty cigar manufacturers with your comments in mind. 
      Sincerely,
    SAM FARR
    Member of Congress
    ===============

Yea, I got another letter from Mitch again, and it was almost word for word exactly the same language...precisely non-commital. This sentance was used in almost the same context: "I will keep an eye on actions directed toward specialty cigar manufacturers with your comments in mind." Odd that the words of a Democrat and Mitch McConnell would be almost exaclty the same.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    JDH:
    KingoftheCove:
    ===============
    Dear Horst:
      Sincerely,
    SAM FARR
    Member of Congress
    ===============

Yea, I got another letter from Mitch again, and it was almost word for word exactly the same language...precisely non-commital. This sentance was used in almost the same context: "I will keep an eye on actions directed toward specialty cigar manufacturers with your comments in mind." Odd that the words of a Democrat and Mitch McConnell would be almost exaclty the same.
    not really, I think a lot of it is like a sig or something. some various language added for a specific bill and a name but everything else is already on the document. I wouldn't be surprised if it's like the military when they present an award or something, a few blank lines in the paragraph for filling in the blank.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    keep the mailing up.
    Join CRA.
    if you want to know how, PM me.
  • jsnakejsnake Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,037
    Funny thing that all these letters are word for word the same from one state to the next. I received similar emails from my efforts and the only difference is the name or state.
    I did get a response from my US Congressman, Ben Chandler, and he made it very clear that he would oppose the FDA regulation of cigars.
  • robbyrasrobbyras Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,487
    I got my response from Diane Fienstein a few months back... it was pretty similar to these, but I can't seem to find it... I actually got a second email as well... I'll have to dig them up
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    just got my form response from my Senator. But rest assured guys, the offices for these politicians are aware of what they're getting emailed about. Keep emailing.
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    robbyras:
    I got my response from Diane Fienstein a few months back... it was pretty similar to these, but I can't seem to find it... I actually got a second email as well... I'll have to dig them up

I think the ones from Feinstein must self-destruct... After reading your post, I went looking for the last ones I got from her as well, but they're gone. I still have one from Sen. Boxer but it's 100% weasel-words that say absolutely nothing.

Sorry I couldn't help.
  • WafflesWaffles Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 63
    I got a non committed response from mine too. Gee thanks.
  • DirewolfDirewolf Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,493
    I never received a response back. Guess I shoulda included a check in the envelope.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    Just got this response back from my house rep

Dear Mr. Kitchens:  
    Thank you for contacting me to express your opinion regarding H.R. 1639, the Traditional Cigar Manufacturing and Small Business Jobs Preservation Act of 2011.  As your Congressman, I appreciate hearing your thoughts and welcome every opportunity to be of service. 

As you may know, H.R. 1639 was introduced by Representative Bill Posey (R-FL) on April 15, 2011 and was subsequently referred to the House Committee on Energy and Commerce.  If enacted, this legislation would amend the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act to clarify the Food and Drug Administration's jurisdiction over certain tobacco products, and to protect jobs and small businesses involved in the sale, manufacturing and distribution of traditional and premium cigars.

I value highly small businesses, who serve as one of the largest economic drivers and employers in the nation's economy.  Excessive regulations placed on small businesses under the current administration have served as a burden to job creation and business expansion, leading to the record level of unemployment we have witnessed over the past 3 years.  As a Member of the Energy and Commerce Committee, rest assured that I will continue to be an advocate for economic development and will keep your thoughts in mind as H.R. 1639 moves through the legislative process.

Again, thank you for sharing your concerns. If you feel that I may be of additional assistance on this, or any other matter of importance to you, please do not hesitate to contact me.  I also invite you to sign up for my weekly email newsletter, or to share your ideas and opinions, by visiting my website at http://gingrey.house.gov or emailing me at gingrey.ga@mail.house.gov.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,836
    I emailed mine and all I got back was a picture of a big middle finger....WTF
  • jj20030jj20030 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,448
    amz1301:
    Here's what I got today.

Dear Mr. Z.......:

Thank you for getting in touch with me to express your support for the Traditional Cigar Manufacturing and Small Business Jobs Preservation Act of 2011 (S. 1461). It's good to hear from you.

I understand your concerns about the regulation of the cigar industry. At a time of great economic uncertainty, we cannot afford to turn our backs on the small businesses and industries that create and provide jobs in Maryland and throughout our nation. I will continue to fight to make sure that we are creating an environment in which small businesses can prosper.

I appreciate hearing of your support for S. 1461. This legislation would amend the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act to exempt traditional large and premium cigars from regulation by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and from user fees assessed on tobacco products by the FDA. S. 1461 is currently pending in the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions. I will keep your views in mind as we continue working on this important issue.

Thanks once again for writing. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any assistance in the future.

Sincerely,
    Barbara A. Mikulski
    United States Senator
    about what i got from kay bailey hutchinson
  • taythegibstaythegibs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,024
    sent in the emails via the link ccom sent out and i got a quick response
    Dear Mr. Gibs,  

Thank you for contacting me with your support for H.R. 1639, the Traditional Cigar Manufacturing and Small Business Jobs Preservation Act. It is good to hear from you.

As you may know, the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act, or the Tobacco Act, was passed by the Democrat controlled Congress in and grants the Federal Drug Administration (FDA) authority to regulate tobacco. On April 15, 2011, Representative Bill Posey introduced H.R. 1639 to remove large and premium cigars from being under the FDA's jurisdiction. This bill has been referred to the Committee on Energy and Commerce, of which I am not a Member, and no hearings have been held.

Like you, I do not support legislation that harms business growth and stifles our economic recovery. That is why I am a co-sponsor of H.R. 1639 and look forward to supporting it, should it come before me for a vote in the U.S. House of Representatives.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me on this important matter. Your input helps me to better serve you in the U.S. House of Representatives. If I can be of any further service, please let me know.

Sincerely,

Tom Graves
    Member of Congress
    guess i should have looked more into it before i emailed him but im glad i sent it anyway!
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,077
    Krieg:
    Just got this response back from my house rep

Dear Mr. Kitchens:  
    Thank you for contacting me to express your opinion regarding H.R. 1639, the Traditional Cigar Manufacturing and Small Business Jobs Preservation Act of 2011.  As your Congressman, I appreciate hearing your thoughts and welcome every opportunity to be of service. 

As you may know, H.R. 1639 was introduced by Representative Bill Posey (R-FL) on April 15, 2011 and was subsequently referred to the House Committee on Energy and Commerce.  If enacted, this legislation would amend the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act to clarify the Food and Drug Administration's jurisdiction over certain tobacco products, and to protect jobs and small businesses involved in the sale, manufacturing and distribution of traditional and premium cigars.

I value highly small businesses, who serve as one of the largest economic drivers and employers in the nation's economy.  Excessive regulations placed on small businesses under the current administration have served as a burden to job creation and business expansion, leading to the record level of unemployment we have witnessed over the past 3 years.  As a Member of the Energy and Commerce Committee, rest assured that I will continue to be an advocate for economic development and will keep your thoughts in mind as H.R. 1639 moves through the legislative process.

Again, thank you for sharing your concerns. If you feel that I may be of additional assistance on this, or any other matter of importance to you, please do not hesitate to contact me.  I also invite you to sign up for my weekly email newsletter, or to share your ideas and opinions, by visiting my website at http://gingrey.house.gov or emailing me at gingrey.ga@mail.house.gov.

I received essentially the same letter, almost word for word, from my house rep. in MN (minus the part about "As a Member of the Energy and Commerce...")
  • havanaalhavanaal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 150
    I would be curious to know how much in bribe money the cigar industry is sprinkling around to Dems in the Senate, who will ultimately control this. I would be happy to contribute to a lobbying effort directed at selected whores who may stand in our way (but who have proven they can be bought off--won't mention any names). Or is membership in CRA sufficient?
    From my US Congressman, (Note that he has co-sponsored the bill): December 12, 2011 Dear Mr. H:

Thank you for contacting me about H.R. 1639. My job is to serve the people of Central Kentucky, so hearing your thoughts and concerns is extremely important to me. I appreciate that you took the time to share them.

As you may know, H.R. 1639 would amend the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act to exempt traditional large and premium cigars from regulation by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and from fees assessed on tobacco products by the FDA. You will be pleased to know that I became a cosponsor of this legislation on October 13, 2011. Like you, I believe H.R. 1639 would protect cigar store owners from burdensome regulations while also allowing for rules that keep minors from purchasing cigarettes. Please rest assured I will closely monitor this issue and keep your thoughts in mind.

Again, I value your input on H.R. 1639. Please continue to keep in contact with me, and feel free to use my online office at http://chandler.house.gov and to sign up for my e-newsletter at http://chandler.house.gov/enews.html to stay up-to-date on issues affecting Central Kentucky in the 112th Congress.

Sincerely,

Ben Chandler
    Member of Congress