Home General Discussion

Suggestion: Humidor/Accessory Reviews and Videos

oldsoulrevivaloldsoulrevival Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 630
So, I recently purchased my first humidor and about 35 cigars to start off, and I had a hell of a time choosing which humidor to get, which cigars to buy, etc. This is just a thought I had about adding a feature to the site due to some frustration and anxiety I am experiencing with my first major purchase.

Buying the cigars was by far the easiest because there is so much feedback in the community. There is not, however, a lot of feedback on humidors and accessories. I get that you can come to the forum and search for things, but as far as just going to the humidor page, and seeing what people say, there is not much of anything.

This is possibly because so many people buy their humidors from other places, and just buy cigars from this site.

I think the site would GREATLY benefit from taking some time to do some video overviews of the humidors and accessories. For instance, I just spent 100 dollars on the Adirondak humidor. I think I saw the same one at another store for 195, and it was beautifully constructed, but to be honest, I cannot be sure that I am getting the same thing. For all I know, I get it, and the seal is bad.

It would give me, and others I am sure, peace of mind if I could see someone open and drop the lid to hear the woosh sound, or even do a flashlight test. I know it's a bit of work, and that's why I don't think the whole of the responsibility should be on the shoulds of cigar.com, but rather on the community.

If we could get a place to post video reviews directly on the site, I think it would be great if the community could come together and build a strong review section for humidors and other accessories.

Comments

• ENFIDLENFIDL Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,836
    I'll say this, I kept it private because of how it was handled, when I bought my 300 count humi it was damaged and I had an issue with it. I ordered it through The Beard and simply shot him an email with pics of the damage he sent me a new one immediately, the same day, with a return slip for the damaged one. Only thing I did was tape the old one up in the box and drop it off. The made it right so take peace of mind from knowing that if there is an issue that CCOM will take care of it and make it right
  • oldsoulrevivaloldsoulrevival Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 630
    I certainly think that the customer service is fantastic - at least from what I have read online, cigar.com is a great company to work with.

But, I still think that offering some overviews of things like humidors that don't have much feedback would help new buyers have a peace of mind.
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    I think the problem is that accessories are mostly personal preference. There's no secret, no experience you can share with others that they can't get by looking at the thing and knowing how it works. The problem comes when they don't work, but I think 99% of that is going to be a bad piece rather than a bad design that will affect all who buy it. In the case of a bum accessory, contact whomever you purchased it from and they should make it right by you, and if no then try the manufacturer because they very well might make it right as well. If you bought it from ccom, though, I can nearly guarantee they'll make it right.

Every once is a while a new accessory will pop up and people will "review" it, as in write about whether it does what it says and/or whether it's worth the price. You can search, you might find a couple. Also there are a lot of threads about humidor setup's, and a PM to the poster of a humidor you find interesting would probably yield whatever details made you hesitate from purchasing.

But posting videos of doing tests on individual humidors seems unnecessary to me, because problems or successes with a given piece only demonstrate THAT piece, not the one you will receive.
  • DirewolfDirewolf Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,493
    You are going to hear that the only humidor to get is to build a coolidor lol. I thought it was a joke at first.....
    Ken Light:
    I think the problem is that accessories are mostly personal preference. There's no secret, no experience you can share with others that they can't get by looking at the thing and knowing how it works. The problem comes when they don't work, but I think 99% of that is going to be a bad piece rather than a bad design that will affect all who buy it. In the case of a bum accessory, contact whomever you purchased it from and they should make it right by you, and if no then try the manufacturer because they very well might make it right as well. If you bought it from ccom, though, I can nearly guarantee they'll make it right.

Every once is a while a new accessory will pop up and people will "review" it, as in write about whether it does what it says and/or whether it's worth the price. You can search, you might find a couple. Also there are a lot of threads about humidor setup's, and a PM to the poster of a humidor you find interesting would probably yield whatever details made you hesitate from purchasing.

But posting videos of doing tests on individual humidors seems unnecessary to me, because problems or successes with a given piece only demonstrate THAT piece, not the one you will receive.

I can certainly see your point.
    Direwolf:
    You are going to hear that the only humidor to get is to build a coolidor lol. I thought it was a joke at first.....

Why is that? Cheaper, easier, bigger?
  • DirewolfDirewolf Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,493
    I started off with a 120 count humi. Thought for sure that it would be more than I'd need. That thing is full and I have a 20 count seasoning because I want to age some. I bought a box today online and a handfull at the B&M, plus I have a few coming in from other folks. The coolers are alot bigger and if you search on the forum you will see alot of the brothers cooler setups. lol At no time did I ever think I'd own the amount of cigars that I do,and it's not even a drop in the bucket to what you will see here. Enjoy filling that first one up.. I know I am.
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 908
    oldsoulrevival:
    Direwolf:
    Why is that? Cheaper, easier, bigger?
    all of the above
    the only reason I haven't gone the coolidor route is that it helps me "control" spending (at least somewhat)
    Just about a year ago, I had a single 20 ct humi, 15 cigars, and I was happy.......
    things have changed..........................(I'm still happy......but the cigar thing has grown quite a bit)

• kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    it doesnt have to be a cooler. i have a very large tupperware that holds quite a bit. i sealed the lid with D ring weather seal and it works like a charm. total cost (including humidification device and hygrometer): $45.

my 75ct humidor cost more than that before the humidification device and the hygrometer.

the biggest downfall?
    that thing is ugly.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    kuzi16:
    it doesnt have to be a cooler. i have a very large tupperware that holds quite a bit. i sealed the lid with D ring weather seal and it works like a charm. total cost (including humidification device and hygrometer): $45.

my 75ct humidor cost more than that before the humidification device and the hygrometer.

the biggest downfall?
    that thin g is ugly.
    I was considering this... I got hooked last year really and blasted my 200ct and soon my 50ct once I get my first 2012. I really learned the value of letting smokes age and settled on my fave's. That being said, I plan on buying up some GOF's, Opus, 80th's and 85th's any day now and let them sit, along with a couple boxes of the patel's I like. If you have a thread explaining the tuperware route, let me know.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    catfishbluezz:
    kuzi16:

the biggest downfall?
    that thin g is ugly.
    I was considering this... I got hooked last year really and blasted my 200ct and soon my 50ct once I get my first 2012. I really learned the value of letting smokes age and settled on my fave's. That being said, I plan on buying up some GOF's, Opus, 80th's and 85th's any day now and let them sit, along with a couple boxes of the patel's I like. If you have a thread explaining the tuperware route, let me know.
    its fairly easy actually.

step one:
    obtain tupperware or similar container and clean it out. Stuff it with newspaper once dry and leave it in there for 48 hours or more. if it still smells like plastic, replete the process.

step two:
    make sure it seals.
    most tupperware dose by nature but some brands will not. if it does not get the smallest D-ring weather strip you can find and line the top of the container with it. make sure that lid still snaps closed.

step three:
    obtain old boxes of cigars. take them apart and use them for the cedar in the humidor. this will help regulate Rh a little.

step four:
    Season it like you would a humidor.

step five: add in hygrometer, humidification device and cigars

that is all.