Home General Discussion

Glass Tubes and Tbuos. Cap on or off, What's your opinion?

brettdub33brettdub33 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 56
While I have my own opinion reguarding cap on or off in the humidor I think this topic sometimes brings out a good discusion and sometimes some ingenious ideas as well. For instance my friend J.P. pokes little tiny holes all over his tubos and then he decided to use one as a travel humidification divice by adding an odor free kitty litter that has somthing similar to beads and Xikar solution, and to my suprise it works pretty damn good. but any way what do you think? Cap on or off in the humi?

Comments

• docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    Cap on. Especially with glass, since you can see if any problems develop through the glass.
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    since every single cigar I have is in my humidor and only one is in a tubo, I leave the cap off. in fact, the only reason it's still in the tubo is if I ever trade it. otherwise, it matters not
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 600
    I leave caps on but like to check em from time to time. One never knows the things that can happen inside if unattended.
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,971
    glass-cap on, tubos-I usually take them out of the tubo or take the top off
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    docbp87:
    Cap on. Especially with glass, since you can see if any problems develop through the glass.
    this
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    I've only ever had but one tubo had it about 6 months then sent it off to a brother because I didn't think I'd ever open it. Anyway here's my question what purpose do the tubes serve besides isolating the cigar?
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    transportation, decoration, tradition.

tubes that are sealed at the factory and are not opened until smoking have a different age timeline. since the cigar will not breathe as much (if at all) the aging process will slow down but only partly.

part of the reason why a cigar is actively aged is to mellow. this mellowing is caused by the break down of some of the essential oils.
    when the cigar does not breath the gasses it lets off and the O2 it needs to to break down is limited. therefore it will slow down the age. however, this also means that the oils will have more time to marry before they break down.
    the choice is yours on what you want to do with your tubes.