Home General Discussion

Humidor help Cigars falling apart

jsurma21jsurma21 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6
I'm newer to humidors. I have 2, one that my dad gave me that I keep everyday smokes in and a brand new that I cured. I cured it for 2 days by wiping distilled water and letting it set. I kept my cigars out of the plastic (mostly because i buy them in boxes). My cigars are about 2-3 months old and break apart. When I cut them it really breaks. I've had to go to strictly punching them. I'm using a digital reader, and Xikar gel jars. My humidity levels is at 67%. It's ruining the cigars. Any idea what to check or ideas on what's going on?

Comments

• BombayBombay Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,207
    First salt test the hygrometer. It sound as if it is giving a seriously false reading for your cigars to be that brittle. Just my .02.
  • Bucking WBucking W Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 206
    Bombay may have your answer however, if it is not that recharge your humidifiers. Adding an initial mixture of 50% distilled water and 50% propylene glycol should stabilize the humidity and prevent any erratic activity. Depending on the size of the humidor and how dry the air in your area is, you may find yourself recharging the humidification device(s) anywhere from every two weeks to once a month so keep an eye on your humidor for humidity changes. Also is it a big humi and how many cigars you have in it can make a difference.
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    Yeah, your cigars are underhumidified if they are splitting when you cut them.
  • jsurma21jsurma21 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6
    Thanks, i'll do the salt check. It's a 100 cigar humidifier, so I figured the Xikar gel would be fine even if my meter was off.
  • MarkerMarker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,524
    jsurma21:
    Thanks, i'll do the salt check. It's a 100 cigar humidifier, so I figured the Xikar gel would be fine even if my meter was off.
    Gel seems to be the worst way to himidify for me. Both Shaun and I tried it, both times the gel actually molded. No idea why and the cigars are fine but never worked worth a crap.
  • TheedgeTheedge Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 316
    Last year I started using a gel jar, along with a puck of beads in my humidor, it works perfectly. In my cooler I have 3 pucks, and a gel jar. Same great results. I just keep the jars full, the beads regulate.
  • JDHJDH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,107
    jsurma21:
    Go to Heartfelt Industries and buy some humidification beads. These are terrific; they're even used for humidity control to preserve precious historical documents in most museums. They're accurate, reliable, and cheap.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    Theedge:
    Last year I started using a gel jar, along with a puck of beads in my humidor, it works perfectly. In my cooler I have 3 pucks, and a gel jar. Same great results. I just keep the jars full, the beads regulate.
    This is what's in my humi except instead of a jar I got the large rectangle from humi care. Been working great. I to was having a problem with my sticks cracking when I tried cutting even using a punch I had to lick the cap first (still do out of habit)
    Did the salt water test came in at 71% so apparently that's off by 4% so really my sticks have been at 63-64%. I can't believe 3% has killed them that bad.

Xikar beads seems to be the same thing has heartland beads or am i looking at the wrong ones. Thanks for all your help everyone
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,971
    jsurma21:
    Did the salt water test came in at 71% so apparently that's off by 4% so really my sticks have been at 63-64%. I can't believe 3% has killed them that bad. Xikar beads seems to be the same thing has heartland beads or am i looking at the wrong ones. Thanks for all your help everyone
    Yeah, that doesnt seem right...3% should make "that much" of a difference
  • jasonusa1jasonusa1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 729
    Cigars shouldn't be breaking up and in this bad of shape at 63-64 rH should they?
  • danielruasdanielruas Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 778
    jasonusa1:
    Cigars shouldn't be breaking up and in this bad of shape at 63-64 rH should they?
    Not at all, I keep 2 of my humis at 62-64 and another at 70 and have no problems with cigars breaking.
  • jasonusa1jasonusa1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 729
    danielruas:
    jasonusa1:
    Not at all, I keep 2 of my humis at 62-64 and another at 70 and have no problems with cigars breaking.
    Ok good, that's what I was thinking. Mine has been fluctuating down about 64-65 lately, and for some reason the temp has been reading 72-74, but everything looks good so far. And I just use a small thing of gel and 2-3 water pillows, but my aging humi is about a 75-ct with about 50+ sticks in it.
  • camgfscamgfs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 967
    might be the cutter. If the blade is dull, that would make a mess of any stick. If you know someone with a reliable cutter, try it out. Maybe your B&M can check your cutter or try one they have to see if it works better.

camgfs:
    might be the cutter. If the blade is dull, that would make a mess of any stick. If you know someone with a reliable cutter, try it out. Maybe your B&M can check your cutter or try one they have to see if it works better.

It's a new Calibari cutter. My perdoma's unwrap while sitting in there.

It's very very perplexing. I've stopped ordering cigars till I get this figured out. I spent 95 bucks on the humidor so it's not complete trash. Frustrating.
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,971
    jsurma21:
    camgfs:

It's a new Calibari cutter. My perdoma's unwrap while sitting in there. It's very very perplexing. I've stopped ordering cigars till I get this figured out. I spent 95 bucks on the humidor so it's not complete trash. Frustrating.
    Is this happening with every cigar in there? How are they smoking?
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    jsurma21:
    camgfs:

It's a new Calibari cutter. My perdoma's unwrap while sitting in there.

It's very very perplexing. I've stopped ordering cigars till I get this figured out. I spent 95 bucks on the humidor so it's not complete trash. Frustrating.

Is this happening with every cigar in there? How are they smoking?

If I punch them they aren't horrible and stay together better, and they for the most part stay lit. if I cut they really unravel. The perdoma's really unravel.
  • Andrew DzikoskiAndrew Dzikoski BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users, Trusted Users Posts: 338
    Can you send me a link of which cutter your using? Also may want to put a shot glass with some distilled water in the humidor to help bring up the humidity. Winters are the worst as cold air = dry air. If you have any questions you want to ask directly feel free to PM me or send me an email.