Home General Discussion

Cigar Journal's top 25.

DirewolfDirewolf Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,493
Was reading it this Am and see that I have had 5 so far of their top 25. I have had the San Lotano Oval (#2) , Man O War Torpedo (#11) , LFD La Flor Dominica ( #12) , COA OSA SOL (#13) , Rocky Patel The Edge Toro Corojo (#22) , and Ashton VSG Robusto ( #23) . For being so new at this I'm glad I have picked those. Most on suggestions by you folks here.

Comments

• jasonusa1jasonusa1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 729
    Direwolf:
    Was reading it this Am and see that I have had 5 so far of their top 25. I have had the San Lotano Oval (#2) , Man O War Torpedo (#11) , LFD La Flor Dominica ( #12) , COA OSA SOL (#13) , Rocky Patel The Edge Toro Corojo (#22) , and Ashton VSG Robusto ( #23) . For being so new at this I'm glad I have picked those. Most on suggestions by you folks here.
    Out of curiosity.. Besides having had those five, what did you think of each of them?
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    Oval. Fantastic smoke
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    Krieg:
    Oval. Fantastic smoke
    Agreed how about the complete list.

• DirewolfDirewolf Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,493
    jasonusa1:
    Direwolf:
    Out of curiosity.. Besides having had those five, what did you think of each of them?
    The Oval , Ashton and LFD were my favs. The Edge was decent. The Osa was good till it fell apart on me ( one of my first smokes ever and I had a *** cutter) . The MOW made me want to continue on and try all the other ones.. very tasty stick.
    stephen_hannibal:
    Krieg:
    Oval. Fantastic smoke

All credit to Cigar Journal for this list. 1. Padron Family Reserve no.85 Maduro (2) San Lotano Oval Rubusto (3) Master By Carlos Torano Churchill (4) Cain Daytona 654 Torpedo (5) La Gloria Cubana Inmensos (6) My Father Le Bijou 1922 toro (7) Fuente Fuente OPUSX Fuente Fuente (8) Gurkha Celler Reserve Churchill XO (9) J. Fuego Origin Original (10) Rocky patel 15Th Anniversary Corona Gorda (11) Man O War Torpedo (12) La Flor Dominicana Oscuro natural L-500 (13) CAO OSA SOL Lot 50 (14) Tatuaje The 7th Capa Especial (15) Illusione Epernay 2009 Serie L'Alpiniste (16) Alec Bradley Family Blend VR1 (17) Cain F Habano/Sun Grown 550 (18) Cohiba Beehike 56 (19) Davidoff Puro D'oro Mementos (20) La Palina El Diario Robusto (21) Romeo Y Julieta Wide Churchills (22) Rocky Patel The Edge Toro Corojo (23) Ashton VSG Robusto (24) Flor De Copan Linea Puros Robusto (25) Bolivar Belicosos Finos.
  • jasonusa1jasonusa1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 729
    Krieg:
    Oval. Fantastic smoke
    This seems to be the consensus... cool, thanks.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    Direwolf:
    stephen_hannibal:
    Krieg:
    Oval. Fantastic smoke

All credit to Cigar Journal for this list.

(1) Padron Family Reserve no.85 Maduro
    (2) San Lotano Oval Rubusto
    (3) Master By Carlos Torano Churchill
    (4) Cain Daytona 654 Torpedo
    (5) La Gloria Cubana Inmensos
    (6) My Father Le Bijou 1922 toro
    (7) Fuente Fuente OPUSX Fuente Fuente
    (8) Gurkha Celler Reserve Churchill XO
    (9) J. Fuego Origin Original
    (10) Rocky patel 15Th Anniversary Corona Gorda
    (11) Man O War Torpedo
    (12) La Flor Dominicana Oscuro natural L-500
    (13) CAO OSA SOL Lot 50
    (14) Tatuaje The 7th Capa Especial
    (15) Illusione Epernay 2009 Serie L'Alpiniste
    (16) Alec Bradley Family Blend VR1
    (17) Cain F Habano/Sun Grown 550
    (18) Cohiba Beehike 56
    (19) Davidoff Puro D'oro Mementos
    (20) La Palina El Diario Robusto
    (21) Romeo Y Julieta Wide Churchills
    (22) Rocky Patel The Edge Toro Corojo
    (23) Ashton VSG Robusto
    (24) Flor De Copan Linea Puros Robusto
    (25) Bolivar Belicosos Finos.
    Fixed it.

• chemforeverchemforever Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,200
    stephen_hannibal:
    Direwolf:
    stephen_hannibal:
    Krieg:
    Oval. Fantastic smoke

(11) Man O War Torpedo
    (13) CAO OSA SOL Lot 50
    (18) Cohiba Beehike 56
    (23) Ashton VSG Robusto
    Fixed it.

I always wonder how many candidates they consider and why.
    Stephen, thanks for fixing that bro.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    I was pretty happy to see the J. Fuego Origin Originals at the #9 spot, especially when you read that their MSRP is a whopping $2.50! Those are really tasty sticks, I gotta get some more of those.
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    chemforever:
    stephen_hannibal:
    Direwolf:
    stephen_hannibal:
    Krieg:
    Oval. Fantastic smoke

(11) Man O War Torpedo
    (13) CAO OSA SOL Lot 50
    (18) Cohiba Beehike 56
    (23) Ashton VSG Robusto
    Fixed it.

They reported this in the article, but I can't remember the number and don't have it with me. Anyone?

There were some curiosities in there, to me, mostly the order. Honestly, I wasn't sure if it was random order or truly in order of quality. Also, MOW torpedo best of 2011? Hasn't that been around a couple years? Did it just hit B&M's or something?
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    Ken Light:
    chemforever:
    stephen_hannibal:
    Direwolf:
    stephen_hannibal:
    Krieg:
    Oval. Fantastic smoke

(11) Man O War Torpedo
    (13) CAO OSA SOL Lot 50
    (18) Cohiba Beehike 56
    (23) Ashton VSG Robusto
    Fixed it.

They reported this in the article, but I can't remember the number and don't have it with me. Anyone?

There were some curiosities in there, to me, mostly the order. Honestly, I wasn't sure if it was random order or truly in order of quality. Also, MOW torpedo best of 2011? Hasn't that been around a couple years? Did it just hit B&M's or something?
    I think it is cigars that they have done tastings of, or scored at some point in 2011, not necessarily new releases. CA does similar tastings, where not everything they taste and score is new.
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    Cain Daytona at #4. proof that their tastebuds don't function. the rest of the list looks in line, my palate approves.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
    That is the most ridiculous list of ratings I've ever seen yet lol...
  • big chunksbig chunks Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,607
    Man I really want to try the San lotano oval
  • MVW67MVW67 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,447
    The list is ok, and I mean ok, because there are some in there that are... well???
  • The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    dennisking:
    Cain Daytona at #4. proof that their tastebuds don't function. the rest of the list looks in line, my palate approves.
    Not sure I agree with # 16m I love AB and The Family Blend is good but not that good IMO
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 908
    Diamondog:
    hmmmmm.....I agree with this statement 1000%...........I'm a noob of sorts I suppose ( having taken 15 years off).....but geez, imho............there are just a "few" sticks missing from the list...............and a "few" that don't belong.................

• MarkerMarker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,524
    Diamondog:
    What makes it more stupid is CCs are included. A BBF and Padron along with a hundred other premium cigars make that MoW torp seem stupid in that list.

This list just gets cigar journal some advertising points with the brands it mentions. You see it all the time. This is not a best of list. This is a how can I sell my magazine advertising list.

They have a BBF but no BRC or PSP2 or Cohiba siglo/espe? Many brands/marcas make different tasting cigars in many vitola. To exclude them because you already mentioned one from that brand/marca is rediculous.

Two Rocky Patel. Proof the list is a sham. There is not one Rocky that beat out anything in the top 250 cigars available today.
  • The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    Marker:
    Diamondog:
    What makes it more stupid is CCs are included. A BBF and Padron along with a hundred other premium cigars make that MoW torp seem stupid in that list.

This list just gets cigar journal some advertising points with the brands it mentions. You see it all the time. This is not a best of list. This is a how can I sell my magazine advertising list.

They have a BBF but no BRC or PSP2 or Cohiba siglo/espe? Many brands/marcas make different tasting cigars in many vitola. To exclude them because you already mentioned one from that brand/marca is rediculous.

Two Rocky Patel. Proof the list is a sham. There is not one Rocky that beat out anything in the top 250 cigars available today.
    I dont know if you've tried the 15th Anniv but IMO it is a very good smoke and was not as suprised to see it up there as I was some others
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 600
    I would agree with some and not for others...which is probably normal for any list of this size really.
  • MarkerMarker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,524
    I tried the 15th anni and compared to many lesser expensive cigars I have smoked, it didn't measure up. I honestly don't think it is in the top 250 cigars made currently.
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    Marker:
    I tried the 15th anni and compared to many lesser expensive cigars I have smoked, it didn't measure up. I honestly don't think it is in the top 250 cigars made currently.
    Top 250 cigars Rocky Patel makes, or top 250 cigars anyone makes?
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 908
    docbp87:
    [Top 250 cigars Rocky Patel makes, or top 250 cigars anyone makes?
    lol.......you just made me almost spit up and choke on my good scotch dang it!

• kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    bigharpoon:
    I was pretty happy to see the J. Fuego Origin Originals at the #9 spot, especially when you read that their MSRP is a whopping $2.50! Those are really tasty sticks, I gotta get some more of those.
    agreed
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    Marker:
    Diamondog:

in the grand scheme of things, does it matter?

everyone has different tastes.

there isnt a single person on this board that can agree on a top 5 let alone a top 25.

its so subjective that i just look at lists like this as a list of things to try.

i AM surprised a bit to see the Cain Daytona on there. but again, there are many cigars that seem to have a huge following that I dont like.

im not sure what other forums that you guys read out there, but this forum has a distinct culture. we like a very different set of cigars than the general populous. we seem to like the MoW lines more than most. We tend to like Anejos more than most. We tend to like Kelner blends more than most. We tend to like 5 vegas more than most.
    we also tend to have slightly less of a hard-on for Drew Estates (even though we all agree that they are great cigars. we just realize that they are not the end all) and we also have a bit a slightly less voracious apatite for Tatuaje and DPG. (well... a smaller percentage of us do)

the general cigar population is not very brand loyal. they buy from many different brands. this is one of the few places that i see us lining up with the general population of cigar consumers. the other thing that we as a forum tend to like that is in align with the rest of the cigar world is our love for Nicaraguan cigars. Our forum is also very well versed on the the cigar making process and theory behind taste. this is WAY out of line with the general smoking population but in line with the on-line smoking population.... even there though, we tend to look a things more in depth than most.

before i ramble on too much, ill just sum it up by saying its nothing special. its just a list.
    i do hesitate to say it is all advertising. Colin (the editor) is a person that i have met and have spent some time with. i trust his judgement and i will vouch for his credibility. I believe that the list is what they honestly think are the best cigars of 2011.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    The Kid:
    Marker:
    Diamondog:

I dont know if you've tried the 15th Anniv but IMO it is a very good smoke and was not as suprised to see it up there as I was some others
    Neither am I. Very good smoke. Reminded of the first release of Decade.