Home Non Cigar Related

I'm back and I love the South!

YankeeManYankeeMan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,377
I haven't been posting lately becasue I've started a new job as Department Chair at a community college in North Carolina. I started two days before the semester started and I've been a$$ deep in alligators!

I'm very happy at the college and I absolutely love the South! I cannot believe how friendly everyone is down here. They just don't say, "Hello", the actually have a conversation with you. People in the South take time to breath. Ithaca was a very friendly place, but the people here make Ithaca seem stuck up. I've never been called Honey, Baby and Darlin' so much in my life... and I love it!

One Saturday I went to a B&M and met several new friends in the smoking lounge. Even though I was a Yankee, they accepted me and made me part of the conversation. Also, the fact that it was in the 70's yesterday and I was wearing a short sleeve shirt in December is just icing on the cake!

Comments

• DirewolfDirewolf Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,493
    I'm a southern transplant. I went from Mississippi to Long Island NY. Want to talk about a nice case of culture shock? lol . People are great here , just hard as hell to beat real southern hospitality.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    Damn, I've wanted to move to NC for the past year.
    Congrats man.

• ENFIDLENFIDL Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,836
    Congrats on the new job man! I grew up in the south and miss the hell out of it
  • JDHJDH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,107
    I see a trip to Asheville in your future! Biltmore at Christmas time is fantastic.
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,121
    I grew up in South Mississippi, the south is the place to be!! The only thing I hate about the south is the humidity and heat in the summer time. Brutal! I wish I could raise my kids back in the south. I now live in Southern California and this area sucks b@lls! Everyone is in such a d@mn rush and there has to be a million people per square mile. I have neighbors on all sides of me and dog has to stay in a fence!! My son had the cops called on him cause he had a bb gun! I have to pay to fish in a lake or hunt on land! Man I miss the south! I hear Northern California is better though. I sure hope so.
  • james40james40 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,450
    Congrats on the new job! I love the southern hospitality. We have offices in Texas, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Alabama, and lived a year in Fayetteville, N.C. You learn more about someone in 5 minutes there than 2 months elsewhere. Our Houston guy hates coming to Calif - thinks everyone is rude.
    I recently went to Nawlins to attend some National Safety Council training. couldn't believe how good it felt to be around people that talked correctly lol
  • MarkerMarker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,524
    I like where I live in Minnesota. People are friendly and go out of their way to help you. Just have to deal with the crap weather to live here.
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    jr_p951:
    I grew up in South Mississippi, the south is the place to be!! The only thing I hate about the south is the humidity and heat in the summer time. Brutal! I wish I could raise my kids back in the south. I now live in Southern California and this area sucks b@lls! Everyone is in such a d@mn rush and there has to be a million people per square mile. I have neighbors on all sides of me and dog has to stay in a fence!! My son had the cops called on him cause he had a bb gun! I have to pay to fish in a lake or hunt on land! Man I miss the south! I hear Northern California is better though. I sure hope so.

Northern California is WAY better! SoCal is okay to visit but d@mned if I could live there again. Once was enough. I live in a relatively small town, primarily agriculture-related, and it's a kicked-back lifestyle. I grew up in Detroit, I've lived just north of the L.A. area and in Seattle, but I'll take small town California any time.
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    Direwolf:
    I recently went to Nawlins to attend some National Safety Council training. couldn't believe how good it felt to be around people that talked correctly lol
    Ya'll come back now.
  • HaybletHayblet Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,400
    What part of NC yo? I've spent a good chunk of my life near the Asheville area and now have resided in SC for the past 7+ years
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,377
    Hayblet:
    What part of NC yo? I've spent a good chunk of my life near the Asheville area and now have resided in SC for the past 7+ years
    We're in the eastern part of the state. We have campuses in Tarboro and Rocky Mount. Right now I'm in Rocky Mount, but will probably be getting a house in Tarboro.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    welcome back Yankee! Glad you're liking the South. Born and raised in GA myself, def a different atmosphere down here, u can actually walk down a sidewalk in downtown and not get bumped 30x if you're not talking 5mph! We def like to slooowwww it down a little, throw something on the smoker, get some beers, lite up a good smoke and chill ;) lol
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,750
    Yes sir! I'll take kind and generous southern country folk who maybe didn't get the best education over the New England educated, snobby, and rude citizens of the north. I'm not saying everyone from either areas fits these descriptions, but I've lived in both and the overwhelming majority just cannot be denied!

I love the coastal cities of the south like Jacksonville, Charleston, Savannah, Wilmington, Myrtle Beach and many more smaller areas like St. Augustine, Palm Coast, St. Mary's Georgia, Hilton Head, and the list goes on. I've been to most of the New England cities and was pretty disgusted by every one of them!
  • doromathdoromath Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 576
    Welcome back! Maybe we'll see ya at one of the herfs. We keep talking about having one closer to the Tenn/Carolina BOTLs.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    Growing up and living in North Florida is kind of nice. I think I will stay the rest of my life!
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 600
    Now you are seeing the light bro. Wife and I are looking to move to SC soon.
  • Bucking WBucking W Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 206
    You guys are still northerners to me. Central Texas here, Austin. Anyone ever get this far south you PM me and cigar and drink are on me at my B&M.
    james40:
    Congrats on the new job! I love the southern hospitality. We have offices in Texas, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Alabama, and lived a year in Fayetteville, N.C. You learn more about someone in 5 minutes there than 2 months elsewhere. Our Houston guy hates coming to Calif - thinks everyone is rude.
    I spent a year in Cali. San Diego La Jolla area. I actually loved the weather and some people. However, going to a local restaurant and they had a sign in the window "No Texans we don't serve ICE tea" Lol
  • Lakota72Lakota72 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,267
    YankeeMan:
    Hayblet:
    We're in the eastern part of the state. We have campuses in Tarboro and Rocky Mount. Right now I'm in Rocky Mount, but will probably be getting a house in Tarboro.
    Holy Crap man. We need to meet up sometime. I live in Fayetteville but work up in Raleigh. Are there any good B&M's in the Rocky Mount area? There are a couple of pretty good places in Raleigh.
  • HippiebrianHippiebrian Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 146
    Congrats on the new job!

I lived in the south for a while (Charleston, Jacksonville, Orlando and a little town outside of Austin) and, while the people are nice, I'm a bit too left to be really accepted down there! All of you who are hating southern CA? Ha! I love it here. I've lived here since '85 and will never leave. Brought up in Ma., by the way.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,750
    Hippiebrian:
    Congrats on the new job! I lived in the south for a while (Charleston, Jacksonville, Orlando and a little town outside of Austin) and, while the people are nice, I'm a bit too left to be really accepted down there! All of you who are hating southern CA? Ha! I love it here. I've lived here since '85 and will never leave. Brought up in Ma., by the way.
    I can see why you'd feel a little left out but I'm a conservative and my two closest coworkers are total Obamanites and we get along great! We have some interesting political conversations but most of all we talk about football, technologies, movies, and help each other study for FAA exams.
    Lakota72:
    YankeeMan:
    Hayblet:
    Holy Crap man. We need to meet up sometime. I live in Fayetteville but work up in Raleigh. Are there any good B&M's in the Rocky Mount area? There are a couple of pretty good places in Raleigh.
    There's one store here, but it's pretty limited. There's a new one in Knightdale, which is supposed to be pretty good and a small one in Greenville, which I've been to. It's not too big, but the owner is a really nice guy and he has a couch and a few chairs to lounge in while you're smoking.

I'll be up north packing up over the semester break, but I'll be back for good after New Year's. We'll have to get together.
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    clearlysuspect:
    Hippiebrian:
    Congrats on the new job! I lived in the south for a while (Charleston, Jacksonville, Orlando and a little town outside of Austin) and, while the people are nice, I'm a bit too left to be really accepted down there! All of you who are hating southern CA? Ha! I love it here. I've lived here since '85 and will never leave. Brought up in Ma., by the way.
    I can see why you'd feel a little left out but I'm a conservative and my two closest coworkers are total Obamanites and we get along great! We have some interesting political conversations but most of all we talk about football, technologies, movies, and help each other study for FAA exams.
    +1 to this. One of my friends at work is a feminist who thinks Obama's not doing enough; we have fun ribbing each other over politics, and we're best friends anyway. We get along with each other better than anyone else in the office since our sense of humor is so similar (dark/dry, very un-PC)
    Hippiebrian:
    Hate is strong word. I liked Southern Cali, great place, great weather, and met some good people but not my place. I don't hate ya for it.
    Hippiebrian:
    It was kind of a culture shock politically. Coming from Ithaca, NY, also know as "Berkely East" and the P.C. capital of the world, I'm not used to hearing people say "Christmas." In Ithaca, we celebrated all the Muslim, Jewish and African American holidays, etc., including Wiccan feasts, but God help you if you said Christmas or Easter, because you would be offending someone.

I kind of like it here, I fit better! That being said, I don't hate those who stand a little to the left of me. It makes for great conversation!
  • SalemSalem Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 717
    I'm live in NC, born and bred!! Welcome to the state! I love NC due to the vast amount of things to do.....beaches, mountains, etc.
  • JDHJDH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,107
    Salem:
    I'm live in NC, born and bred!! Welcome to the state! I love NC due to the vast amount of things to do.....beaches, mountains, etc.
    One of my sisters has a house in Murphy, NC. That's where they are when they aren't in Alaska.
    This is why I''m proud of being a Mississippi boy and proud of all the folks there. Jason Rogers
  • howtobasshowtobass Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 589
    YankeeMan:
    I haven't been posting lately becasue I've started a new job as Department Chair at a community college in North Carolina. I started two days before the semester started and I've been a$$ deep in alligators!

I'm very happy at the college and I absolutely love the South! I cannot believe how friendly everyone is down here. They just don't say, "Hello", the actually have a conversation with you. People in the South take time to breath. Ithaca was a very friendly place, but the people here make Ithaca seem stuck up. I've never been called Honey, Baby and Darlin' so much in my life... and I love it!

One Saturday I went to a B&M and met several new friends in the smoking lounge. Even though I was a Yankee, they accepted me and made me part of the conversation. Also, the fact that it was in the 70's yesterday and I was wearing a short sleeve shirt in December is just icing on the cake!
    Small world. My buddy and his wife are from Ithica. (Now in Tampa)