Home General Discussion

does aging really help?

2»

Comments

• beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    docbp87:
    beatnic:
    Collecting them for years is wasteful. IMO.
    Then what do you say about cigars like the Hoyo Des Dieux that need 8 years in some cases to really open up, and come into their own? I guess I just don't see what the argument AGAINST aging is, except in the cases of cigars that are known to not benefit from age, or that you personally prefer fresher. That said, if you haven't had a particular cigar both fresh and aged, how can you argue against aging it legitimately?
    Doc, I've seen pictures of some of these collections, and you can't tell me some guys are "collecting" cigars.
  • lcpleellcpleel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,447
    beatnic:
    docbp87:
    beatnic:
    Then what do you say about cigars like the Hoyo Des Dieux that need 8 years in some cases to really open up, and come into their own? I guess I just don't see what the argument AGAINST aging is, except in the cases of cigars that are known to not benefit from age, or that you personally prefer fresher. That said, if you haven't had a particular cigar both fresh and aged, how can you argue against aging it legitimately?
    Doc, I've seen pictures of some of these collections, and you can't tell me some guys are "collecting" cigars.
    I'm not going to lie. I collect them. I also smoke them. I don't see how one could knock a person for buying something they want and holding them for a certain occasion. I buy what I do because I can. If you think it's wasteful don't do it. It's really simple.
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    docbp87:
    beatnic:
    I agree with doc on this. I had a Partagas 150 about 2 months ago and all that age took the properties of the cameroon wrapper I don't like away, leaving nothing but awesomeness. 16 yrs of age on the stick plus an additional 17 (i think) on the wrapper will do that.
    lcpleel:
    beatnic:
    docbp87:
    beatnic:
    I'm not going to lie. I collect them. I also smoke them. I don't see how one could knock a person for buying something they want and holding them for a certain occasion. I buy what I do because I can. If you think it's wasteful don't do it. It's really simple.
    I haven't knocked anyone for doing that. Hell, I do that. I have 2 Opus Xs with a year on them that I plan to smoke before the end of the year. And I'll replace them with a couple more. I'm talking about collecting. You know the guys that need one of everything in their collection, or 800 Opus Xs to take pictures of, etc. My comments were meant to address the extreme. Collect and age at will.
    OK! Perhaps I am a novice at this. Actually, be assured that I am. I have absolutely no frickin idea what a cigar with 5 years of age tastes like. So would someone please send me one?
    Smoke your one year old opus and I will match it with a 7 year old for a review in exchange. But to make sure it's fair what vitola do you have? I'll try to make it as close to each other as possible. I don't have 800 but I do have a lot and the picture your talking about, mine?
    lcpleel:
    Smoke your one year old opus and I will match it with a 7 year old for a review in exchange. But to make sure it's fair what vitola do you have? I'll try to make it as close to each other as possible. I don't have 800 but I do have a lot and the picture your talking about, mine?
    No. No. No. My mental picture is generic of all the collections I've seen. I'm not picking on anyone in particular.
    Do you really have an Opus X 7 years old? In different vitolas?
    Maybe it was your's. LOL. More power to you brother. You have long term commitment.

So seriously, is there a big difference between an Opus x aged 1 year, and one aged 7? Is aging 1 for 1? Is 7 years, 7 times better?
    I wouldn't say 7 times better but it is better in my opinion. Also depends on the year produced and vitola. What's the 1 year old you have? I would really like you to tell me your opinion.
    The 2010 stock of opus and Anejos smoked great rott in my opinion.
  • asianbiker8asianbiker8 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 551
    I have to start date labeling my cigars. What do most of you guys use for labels? Just regular stickers on top of the cellophane?
    They are Perfexcion X (6.2 X 48 ?) from the 2010 Holiday Sampler.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    beatnic:
    OK! Perhaps I am a novice at this. Actually, be assured that I am. I have absolutely no frickin idea what a cigar with 5 years of age tastes like. So would someone please send me one?
    it tastes like a cigar.
    and it all depends.
    if you dont know what it is like fresh, after 3-5 years of age on it how are you going to know how it has changed?
    i may be able to send you a cigar with that kind of time on it but if you have yet to have a fresh one it will do you no good.
  • camgfscamgfs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 967
    It is difficult to pin down the difference with age compared to fresh. Our pallets change over the years, and even if we keep a journal, what you liked 7 years ago may not be what you like now. What I DO know is that I started smoking cigars over 30 years ago, and to this date there has only been one brand/size/make of cigar that I did not like after a year or 2 of rest.....and I didn't like it when it was fresh either!! Used tampons (my take on "dog rockets") just don't smoke or taste better with rest or age IMO.

Other than that one 'knock off brand' of cigar, I have truly enjoyed any cigar that has had more than a year of rest, and find that cigars with 5+ years of age to be fantastic.

Just like wines (so I am told because I can't appreciate a 10 year old bottle from a new bottle), cigars are said to get better with age. I'm sure some wines don't age well, just as some cigars will not age well.

If you do get the opportunity to smoke a quality cigar that has 5, 10 or even 20+ years on it, SMOKE IT! No way will you be able to go back in time and compare it to a fresh one, but I'm sure that it will be a fantastic experience.
    Personally, I wish all my collection of cigars had 10+ years on them because I feel that they would all be better than they are now....that's how much I 'believe' age improves a cigar.

• kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    your palate changing is a very valid point. i do notice that most cigars that i liked before i like now. they may not be my favorite anymore, but that does not make them bad.
    Well, I'll get back to you guys in 10 or so years.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    dennisking:
    docbp87:
    beatnic:
    I agree with doc on this. I had a Partagas 150 about 2 months ago and all that age took the properties of the cameroon wrapper I don't like away, leaving nothing but awesomeness. 16 yrs of age on the stick plus an additional 17 (i think) on the wrapper will do that.
    I have to agree with Dennis. Not that I don't like cameroon but I have some of these and they are still great after all these years!
  • Bucking WBucking W Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 206
    dennisking:
    Bucking W:
    I see almost everyone agrees. I have sticks that have been in my Humis for almost ten years. I have some Cubans that have been in there a little longer. However, I can say that your Cigar will mellow over time and become smoother as long as you keep them managed well. I get teased a lot from the guys at the Cigar Lounge, they think I am crazy to let some of the one I have that nobody can get their hands on sit for the time they have sat in my Humi. Tell you the truth 6 months to a year is good enough. I think the reason why I keep the ones longer is because they are very rare and I like opening the box and looking at them.
    the gentleman that owns my local B&M has first year Opus still resting in his collection. I see no problem with 10 years of rest on certain cigars like that.

would you care to share what cigars you have that are over 10yr. old. It's not a bad thing in here to tell what you have.
    The Oldest 2000 Hoyo de Monterrey - Particulares Montecristo - Robustos Partagás - Pirámides Romeo y Julieta - Exhibición No.2 2001 Hoyo de Monterrey - Particulares Montecristo - Double Corona Partagás - Serie D No.3 Romeo y Julieta - Robustos