Home General Discussion

Hops Cigars

DirewolfDirewolf Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,493
I love a good hoppy beer and have seen a few cigars that have a hops component to them. Have any of you guys tried one , and was it worth it?

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    as in actual hops or there is that flavor or a similar flavor in the profile of it?

any particular cigar in mind?

• stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    HAHAHAHAHA I remeber Iced and I were at a BBQ thing and we saw these.
    First thing we said was hops are bitter who the hell would want to smoke a bitter cigar?

• DirewolfDirewolf Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,493
    stephen_hannibal:
    HAHAHAHAHA I remeber Iced and I were at a BBQ thing and we saw these.
    First thing we said was hops are bitter who the hell would want to smoke a bitter cigar?

That's what I'm thinking. I just don't see it adding anything good to a stick.
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    I saw these at a liquor store on a display with the ones infused with Maker's Mark. I was curious, but not that curious...they're probably still there.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,454
    Hops aren't necessarily very bitter by nature. The alpha acids in them contribute to their overall aroma and bitterness but fresh hops are slightly grassy with the typical floral, citrus or pine resin undertones. Either way, this is a flavored cigar. Depending on how the company flavored the cigars, they may have just added a hop aroma/flavor without the bitterness.

In other words, if they stuck the cigars in a room full of hops and/or hop aromas, they shouldn't be bitter but should have that citrusy, grassy flavor or aroma to them. As in beer, if a beer is heavily kettle hopped (during the boil - example: Sierra Torpedo) and not dry hopped enough, it will end up extremely bitter and lose some of the true hop aroma and flavor. A beer that is dry hopped (after the boil, during and after fermentation - my favorite: Southern Tier Unearthly) will still have the bitterness but that will be balanced by a sweet citrus, floral or pine aroma and flavor.

I saw these cigars at a shop in NJ while on a business trip recently and was interested but passed. I think I remember them being a bit more than I wanted to spend on an experimental flavored cigar. I've had too many flavored cigars that just take cheap tobacco and hit it with tons of artificial flavors, oils and sugar. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy flavored and infused cigars every now and then, but if they're well done.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,454
    Ken Light:
    I saw these at a liquor store on a display with the ones infused with Maker's Mark. I was curious, but not that curious...they're probably still there.
    The maker's ones are meh. I had one a while back. Wasn't terrible, but wasn't too impressive. Would be worth a try at $5 or 6.
  • Bucking WBucking W Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 206
    Try the Quesada Oktoberfest. Not sure on the hoppy side but it does have a nice hint of brew to it. It is actually made to go with a good beer. I've smoked them with Samuel Adams Oktoberfest and Shiner. there great.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    Bucking W:
    Try the Quesada Oktoberfest. Not sure on the hoppy side but it does have a nice hint of brew to it. It is actually made to go with a good beer. I've smoked them with Samuel Adams Oktoberfest and Shiner. there great.
    i havent had that cigar yet but if it isnt hops maybe you are looking for a "malt" flavor in that one.