Home General Discussion

Where, how often, when, and what do you drink?

SalemSalem Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 717
I'vee searched this forum up one side and down the other and I've found some of these answers, but would love to get something concise here. This is my second topic started here since joining today and before I go on, I'd like to say you are all a fine group of people. I've not had my first cigar yet, but anticipate smoking one very soon. I have a pretty stressful job at times and really need some relaxing time and the smoking of a cigar really seems to be like something I would enjoy. I envision myself maybe once every other day or so, after work, going outside and sitting on my swing with my Labrador and enjoying a nice cigar. I've not had a drink of alcohol for years, but taking a nip of some type of whiskey with it sounds appealing. Or, if I do smoke earlier in the day, a nice coffee would be great. So where do you smoke, how often, when, and do you drink anything with yours, if so, what? I'm just curious.

Comments

• 90+ Irishman90+ Irishman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,868
    A great maduro cigar with a strong coffee and some cream really brings out the chocolate and espresso notes while the cream helps bring the sweetness, by far one of my favorite combos of all time! Otherwise a snifter of brandy and a Fuente stick (your choice Hemmingway, Anejo, GoF etc) is about as supreme an experience as one can have with their clothes on ;)
    Oh, and I normally smoke at the local b&m (brick and morter ie. storefront) and once a week, twice if I am lucky :)
  • BigT06BigT06 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,899
    I smoke 1 to 3 cigars a day. Usually one at my brother's house, on his porch, one in my office, and if I get a third, it's whenever/wherever I can. I drink sweet tea with most everything I smoke, unless I am in the mood for an adult beverage... then I pick my drink based on what I am smoking. My new favorite combo is a good med-full bodied maddy with a new drink I've started to enjoy (no idea what it's called) but it's spiced rum, ginger-ale, and grenadine. Delicious.
    BigT06:
    I smoke 1 to 3 cigars a day. Usually one at my brother's house, on his porch, one in my office, and if I get a third, it's whenever/wherever I can. I drink sweet tea with most everything I smoke, unless I am in the mood for an adult beverage... then I pick my drink based on what I am smoking. My new favorite combo is a good med-full bodied maddy with a new drink I've started to enjoy (no idea what it's called) but it's spiced rum, ginger-ale, and grenadine. Delicious.
    Sounds great Todd, nice idea! Oh nad PM to you sir.... ;)
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    where: home or at my B&M (brick and mortar cigar shop)
    how often: whenever i can. usually about 2-3 a week if im not too busy
    when: afternoons and evening usually.
    what i drink: one of three things: coke (not pepsi), Dr Pepper, water. more times than not i drink nothing.
  • flayankeeflayankee Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 47
    Smoke at home on the back porch or at the B&M. Whenever i'm in the mood. Usually after dinner. Beer(A GOOD BEER, micro brew) or scotch.
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,539
    I usually smoke about 10 -14 sticks a week. 9 times out of 10 I smoke on my patio.
    I guess a couple of times a month I go to my B&M for a smoke.
    I actually either drink black coffee or water when smoking. I always read a book while smoking, I find it relaxing.
    When I am at the B&M I usually just talk with the guys and drink scotch.
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    I prefer to smoke on my patio around toddy-time with some good sour mash bourbon. It's a great sippin' whiskey. Either neat or with whiskey stones or an ice cube.

This time of year, though, I usually end up in the garage to stay out of the wind - it does hinky things to my stogie. And I usually do the garage bit around 10 or 11 am so I've still got some daytime left for chores and such.
  • Unthought_KnownUnthought_Known Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 454
    If I go to the local cigar bar after work, I drink Guinness. If I smoke outside near my apartment, I generally don't bring anything to drink with me. Maybe a soda or a coffee, but I find that I barely drink it when I'm outdoors.
  • camgfscamgfs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 967
    Can't smoke in ANY B&M around here. Usually the deck (warmer months), the garage (now till March) or out camping (late June to late September-ish...). Warmer months might be from 2 to 5 sticks a week, colder months 1 a week. Molson Canadian, Keith's IPA or Scotch...sometimes a Black Russian, sometimes a Coke. Depends on the temp, the company and the cigar.

• JDHJDH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,107
    My job is pretty stressful too. You have perfectly described how, when and why I enjoy these cigars: "...once every other day or so, after work, going outside and sitting on my swing with my Labrador and enjoying a nice cigar....I don't have a Lab, but we've got two terrier types (one of them will inevitably jump up on my lap while I'm smoking.)

My favorite drink is water. I put a little Bourbon in it when I want to relax with my favorite cigar. Woodford Reserve, Four Roses, Elija Craig 18 year, Eagle Rare are my favorite Bourbons, and I will often have one in the evening. If I'm in the mod for Scotch whiskey, I usually choose Highland Park 18 year. If I want something a little lighter, I'll choose an Oregon Pino Noir.

The Irishman is right on the money about maduros and coffee, they really compliment each other well.
    We've got a covered back porch that runs the length of the house, and one of my great pleasures is to sit out there when it's raining, or when a thunderstorm is passing by, and have a bourbon and enjoy a good cigar. I've got outdoor speakers out there, and I can watch the basketball or football games through the picture window and still have the sound, or music if I want. A couple of my neighbors will come over sometimes and join me...that's just good stuff.
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,707
    I like beer. With a cigar I prefer darker, heavier beers like stouts and porters. Coffee porters and stouts are my favorite. In the fall and winter I like single malt highland or Islay scotches, and I go with dark rums in the summer.
    y2pascoe:
    I like beer. With a cigar I prefer darker, heavier beers like stouts and porters. Coffee porters and stouts are my favorite. In the fall and winter I like single malt highland or Islay scotches, and I go with dark rums in the summer.
    What Scotches?
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,707
    JDH:
    y2pascoe:
    What Scotches?
    Normally Laphoaigs. The peaty-smokiness of the blend can sometimes overwhelm the cigar, but I like it too much to care sometimes. When I have a little less money to spend, I pick up McClellands.
  • RCY CigarsRCY Cigars Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,346
    Where: B&M and at work.
    When: Mostly in the morning and sometimes at night
    How often: 3-4 times a week

My Drink: Usually a cup of joe. Contains normally Jamican Bean and enjoyed black. Every once in a while I will visit Starbucks and get a ice coffee. In the evening, if I'm really wanting to pay attention to the cigar. I'll have a Red Stripe, if not. I'll have a scotch or Remy XO.

• jj20030jj20030 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,448
    at home, in the evenings, everyday drink a few beers and smoke 1 cigar sometimes 2, wont even touch a beer or drink till 5pm or later and fire up a cigar around 7pm
    y2pascoe:
    JDH:
    y2pascoe:
    What Scotches?
    Normally Laphoaigs. The peaty-smokiness of the blend can sometimes overwhelm the cigar, but I like it too much to care sometimes. When I have a little less money to spend, I pick up McClellands.
    I haven't had that one, but I've had Ardbeg, Glenmorainge, Macallan, the Glenlevitt, and Highland Park. I prefer bourbon to Scotch, but there are times whan a good Scotch is just the ticket. When we were in Ireland last spring I stumbled on a whiskey called Greenore, and I REALLY liked it, even brought a couple of bottles home with us, but I can't find it here.
  • jj20030jj20030 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,448
    JDH:
    y2pascoe:
    JDH:
    y2pascoe:
    What Scotches?
    I haven't had that one, but I've had Ardbeg, Glenmorainge, Macallan, the Glenlevitt, and Highland Park. I prefer bourbon to Scotch, but there are times whan a good Scotch is just the ticket. When we were in Ireland last spring I stumbled on a whiskey called Greenore, and I REALLY liked it, even brought a couple of bottles home with us, but I can't find it here.
    not a scotch drinker but heres a link on a fishing forum i hang out on they were talking about it, > http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=381713
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    one thing that i actually left out, and it may be the most important part...

i always make sure to leave enough time to smoke that cigar. if i have a carona, i make sure to leave about an hour and a half to enjoy it.
    if i am smoking a toro at least two hours.
    if a churchill, i make sure for 3 hours.
    if it is stronger, then longer.
    there are few things in life that irk me more than having to end a cigar prematurely.