Home General Discussion

af shark #77

jj20030jj20030 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,448
i see ccom has listed this one @ 34 + bucks, just got one at my b&m for 12 bucks, whats the deal, is my b&m guy making a mistake of what he is charging or what ?

Comments

• zeebrazeebra Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,166
    I think cause they have a very limited quantity. I think last year, around Christmas, they lowered the price to like $17 or so on the Sharks. You have a great B&M btw! The one here charges $27 per shark! Luckily I got a box in as a gift recently.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    ccom does this so they dont sell out instantly. there used to be a "word about pricing" but i cant seem to find it.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    I have a B&M that I got a few from a couple of years ago. I think they were 14 - 15 a piece.
  • jj20030jj20030 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,448
    zeebra:
    I think cause they have a very limited quantity. I think last year, around Christmas, they lowered the price to like $17 or so on the Sharks. You have a great B&M btw! The one here charges $27 per shark! Luckily I got a box in as a gift recently.
    yup guy runs it name charlie , nice guy, said he had 6 boxs around 220 for a box
    jj20030:
    zeebra:
    yup guy runs it name charlie , nice guy, said he had 6 boxs around 220 for a box
    $220 is an insane price!
    jj20030:
    zeebra:
    $220......good lawdd....great price! I usually pay $300 for one roughly.
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    Authorized Fuente merchants who have accounts to carry Opus X and Anejo directly from Fuente aren't supposed to charge more than MSRP plus taxes, which is probably what your B&M is doing. CCom uses third parties to keep Opus and Anejo in stock year round, which is why their prices are so high, except around Christmas and Father's day when they get stock from Fuente instead of someone second hand. This is why the prices are so high on several of the online merchants on these cigars. Frankly, I don't think it's great business, as it has given people a skewed sense of what these cigars should cost. Anejo MSRP is like 9 to 15 dollars at most, Opus like 10 to 17 per stick (aside from the 'A', which certainly still should never cost the 80 dollars or whatever CCom has them listed at...). This is why it is worthwhile to build a relationship with your B&M. One of my locals actually sent me a personal email yesterday to tell me that the first part of their Fuente Holiday shipment was coming in today or tomorrow (Hemingway Maduros), because I am a loyal customer, and he knows I will buy up the HTF Fuente stuff.

Any B&M charging more than MSRP plus taxes for Fuente rarities is gouging, and is doing something that would make Carlito very angry...
  • DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
    rwheelwright:
    $220 is an insane price!
    $220 is not an insane price its MSRP or slightly above...
    Diamondog:
    rwheelwright:
    $220 is an insane price!
    Let me correct myself. $220 is an insane price to get them for. I don't know anywhere that has them for that price MSRP or not. Cheapest I found them for was $280. I found a box of Hemingway Maduro Classic for $240 and I want to bite but I can't justify it.
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,971
    rwheelwright:
    Diamondog:
    rwheelwright:
    $220 is an insane price!
    Let me correct myself. $220 is an insane price to get them for. I don't know anywhere that has them for that price MSRP or not. Cheapest I found them for was $280. I found a box of Hemingway Maduro Classic for $240 and I want to bite but I can't justify it.
    The place that i saw get them it, they were gone in under 2hours, they were $230 there
  • lonewolf2011lonewolf2011 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 503
    The sharks are selling for just under $11 here...........all other sizes about a $1 less
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,971
    jj20030:
    zeebra:
    Is that for 10 or 2 boxes(20 cigars)? The $230 I mentioned was for 2 boxes, $115 a piece plus other discounts got it down to around $100-110
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    docbp87:
    Authorized Fuente merchants who have accounts to carry Opus X and Anejo directly from Fuente aren't supposed to charge more than MSRP plus taxes, which is probably what your B&M is doing. CCom uses third parties to keep Opus and Anejo in stock year round, which is why their prices are so high, except around Christmas and Father's day when they get stock from Fuente instead of someone second hand. This is why the prices are so high on several of the online merchants on these cigars. Frankly, I don't think it's great business, as it has given people a skewed sense of what these cigars should cost. Anejo MSRP is like 9 to 15 dollars at most, Opus like 10 to 17 per stick (aside from the 'A', which certainly still should never cost the 80 dollars or whatever CCom has them listed at...). This is why it is worthwhile to build a relationship with your B&M. One of my locals actually sent me a personal email yesterday to tell me that the first part of their Fuente Holiday shipment was coming in today or tomorrow (Hemingway Maduros), because I am a loyal customer, and he knows I will buy up the HTF Fuente stuff.

Any B&M charging more than MSRP plus taxes for Fuente rarities is gouging, and is doing something that would make Carlito very angry...
    Good info Doc, thanks for posting.
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    jj20030:
    zeebra:
    Is that for 10 or 2 boxes(20 cigars)? The $230 I mentioned was for 2 boxes, $115 a piece plus other discounts got it down to around $100-110
    AF Sharks come in boxes of 20. So the $230 sounds good. They do not make 10 count boxes.
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    my B&M sells them for MSRP in the winter. if they score any more from other sources later in the year, they will raise the prices on those but never on their allocation from Fuente. this time of year though, MSRP is what you should be paying
    good info, thanks everyone!
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    My box of (25) of Reserva 46s came in at just about $9/stick. Though I was able to get them before the B&M owner put them in the humidor.
    beatnic:
    My box of (25) of Reserva 46s came in at just about $9/stick. Though I was able to get them before the B&M owner put them in the humidor.
    Nice. That's the best size Anejo, IMO. They seem to be good EVERY year, where other sizes can be inconsistent from year to year. Just make sure not to store them at RH% above 65%, as they LOVE mold, notoriously.
  • NightHawkNightHawk Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 246
    sorry, noob question.. what is htf? holiday time fuentes?
    1 more dumb question , maybe 2,lol,, why do all the anejos come cedar wrapped except the #77 ? also the #55 is a bigger vitola yet cheaper than the #77 image
    I think but am not positive that MSRP is actually cheaper on the 77 but because they are more rare the price tends to be jacked up. As for cedar, maybe because they are around to square and the cedar wouldn't fit properly. Not sure about that one. I know that some opus are cedar wrapped while others aren't.
    Actually the Torpedo is about 50 cents more. $10.95 for 77 and $11.50 for torpedo. The 77's sell for more cause they are harder to get.
    The Shark is rolled by only one roller only at Chateau de la Fuente. That's why they are so rare.
  • BigT06BigT06 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,899
    docbp87:
    The Shark is rolled by only one roller only at Chateau de la Fuente. That's why they are so rare.
    That's very cool. I didn't know that. Thanks Doc!
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    dennisking:
    my B&M sells them for MSRP in the winter. if they score any more from other sources later in the year, they will raise the prices on those but never on their allocation from Fuente. this time of year though, MSRP is what you should be paying
    yup, dennis hooked me up big time a couple of years ago.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    docbp87:
    not sure if that's an honor or a bane... eh either way he/she does a great job. sharks are some of the most consistent cigars I have have had if not the most, and I smoke a lot of sharks.
  • 90+ Irishman90+ Irishman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,868
    So Doc you said that the Shri is only rolled by one person, and I also know the shark name and concept was hatched by Carlito when he took his children on a trip to Seaworld. Does that mean that Carlito rolls them since it is his brainchild?
    90+ Irishman:
    So Doc you said that the Shri is only rolled by one person, and I also know the shark name and concept was hatched by Carlito when he took his children on a trip to Seaworld. Does that mean that Carlito rolls them since it is his brainchild?
    No. She does:

• BigT06BigT06 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,899
    very cool pic Doc.