Home General Discussion

Rocky Patel vs. Gurkha

Comments

• kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    I would think so too, as the vintage line would indicate. '90, '92, '98, some of my favorites by the way Ubino. Try 'em ....I also read an article that Kaizad Hansotia started in the cigar industry in 1989, but before that was in the coffee, tea and tobacco trade in India. re: Cigar. Com magazine March 2008 pg.20.
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    Thanks, guys. Things like this remind me of just how big the cigar world is. I mean, I wasn't a connoisseur 10 yrs. ago and I didn't read industry mags (and still don't), but I did visit a LOT of different smoke shops in quite a few places, and just never saw either of these brands -- brands that are major, important names in cigars.

The amount of variety available to us is really incredible. Lucky us.
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    kaspera79:
    I would think so too, as the vintage line would indicate. '90, '92, '98, some of my favorites by the way Ubino. Try 'em ....I also read an article that Kaizad Hansotia started in the cigar industry in 1989, but before that was in the coffee, tea and tobacco trade in India. re: Cigar. Com magazine March 2008 pg.20.
    I'm almost positive Gurkha was around 10 years ago but was still a boutique brand and wasn't carried in heavy quantities then. Rocky Patel's lines WERE NOT around 10 years ago, back then he only sold Indian Tabac cigars. The vintage lines are tobacco he bought from a defunct General Cigar line. They had abandoned the project years before and RP picked up some well aged tobacco at a reasonable price and thus launched his RP line and more or less abandoned ITC.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    i just said earlier today that i learn something from this forum every day. today this is it.
    Me too man. There is a lot more to the story but I figured that was a good enough synopsis. Did you also know Rocky pays Indian motorcycles royalties to use the name Indian Tabac?
    Thanks for the update, maddy.
    urbino:
    Sure thing! What good is all this reading I do if I can't share it?
    madurofan:
    urbino:
    no good at all
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    urbino:
    no good at all
    Amen, brother kuzi!
    heck i try and do the same thing. if you look through a bunch of my posts youll see links to all kinds of cigar info sites.
    I know! It beats the alternative too, actually doing work while I'm at work? What kind of fun would that be?
    i cant check the forum at work.... its sad really.
    Thanks for the correct info, Maduro, thats why I always throw the (...I think ) disclaimer in there. I stand corrected
    Maduro is the encyclopedia of cigar info, Is all this stuff commited to memory or the ability to search the 'net at super human speeds ? Your right Kuzi you can learn something every day.
    kaspera79:
    Maduro is the encyclopedia of cigar info, Is all this stuff commited to memory or the ability to search the 'net at super human speeds ? Your right Kuzi you can learn something every day.
    A little of both. I enjoy learning about cigars as much as smoking them. So if you guys start talking about something I'm not knowledgable about, and Kuzi doesn't immediately educate us, then I go do some research. Honestly I know as much as I do bc I have never been scared to ask questions.
    madurofan:
    kaspera79:
    A little of both. I enjoy learning about cigars as much as smoking them. So if you guys start talking about something I'm not knowledgable about, and Kuzi doesn't immediately educate us, then I go do some research. Honestly I know as much as I do bc I have never been scared to ask questions.
    ummm... yes.
    madurofan:
    Honestly I know as much as I do bc I have never been scared to ask questions.
    that. its true. i ask a bunch of questions. i read online way too much. i want to be corrected when im wrong so that i learn what is right.
    We are all lucky to have all the answers to every question at our fingertips. Billions of answers just a few clikcks away. What did we do before the Technology / Computer Age ? What are we calling it now.
    There was a time before computer? What did you old people do back then? LOL just kidding.
    Very funny Maduro, we asked questions like, There was a time before television ? What did people do then..
    It was tough. We had to fight Sleestaks and T. Rex's and such.
    LMAO you guys are killing me! I was just kidding with ya.
    Don't worry about it. Madoro I would be the first to joke with you given the chance. I truely do not care, we are all here to have fun. Sell that Ranger yet ?
    I know kas, I'm just giving you guys a hard time while I still can before I know it I'll be the old man. Nope you interested?
    Hey Kuzi ...

Gurkha's suck.
  • These Filthy HandsThese Filthy Hands Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 455
    That's not very nice maddy...

I've smoked more Gurkah's than I have RP's but I'm yet to find a RP that I don't like. I enjoy both Niceraguan and Honduran tobacco.
    Its an old joke TFH, just an old joke. I too have a few Gurkha's that I thoroughly enjoy. I have an issue more with Gurkha's image than their product much like Davidoff.
  • These Filthy HandsThese Filthy Hands Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 455
    madurofan:
    Its an old joke TFH, just an old joke.
    I know. My response was supposed to be a joke too.