Home General Discussion

How bad did I "F" up?

ZAPZAP Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 164
Just have a little cherrywood cheapo humidor and it works fine during the summer but in the winter I usually move my sticks to plastic bags with gell bags.

Anyhow, I'm down to five sticks but all pretty good LF Air Bender, Gurkha Black Dragon and a few others I can't remember.  A few weeks ago I recharged the humidifier device and all was well....checked today and it was bone dry and sitting at 50%....I immediately moved them to the bags and where they are sitting around 65% right now.

I'm guessing they were at the low humidity for perhaps two weeks most.

Have I lost these smokes or will they be ok after some time in the bag and if so how long should I wait for them to recalibrate....f'n winter...

Comments

• ENFIDLENFIDL Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,836
    YES they are ruined send them to me for proper disposal....lol

In all seriousness they should be fine. Give them I'd say at least a month and they should be gtg
  • gaberoxgaberox Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 824
    They should be just fine. 50% isnt that bad especially for a short time. Just let em rest a while.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,836
    Also I'd check the seal on the humi if I was you. Do the dollar bill test it may not be holding the way it should and that could be the root of the problem
  • TeegeTeege Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 660
    ENFIDL:
    Also I'd check the seal on the humi if I was you. Do the dollar bill test it may not be holding the way it should and that could be the root of the problem
    Whats the dollar bill test?
  • BigT06BigT06 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,899
    Teege:
    ENFIDL:
    Whats the dollar bill test?
    Put a dollar bill in between the lid and the humi. Close the lid. The dollar should be snug. If it slides around, or pulls out easily, your lid isn't sealing properly.
  • TeegeTeege Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 660
    can I borrow a buck i dont carry cash lol
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    Boy two weeks without checking on the humi. I don't know if I ever make it thru a day without looking in on mine at least once. Which reminds me I better have my wife check the RH.
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,539
    I agree in a month with proper humidity they should be fine, just don't jack up the humidity too high or the wappers can crack, bring them up slowly. the dollar test is a good way to determine if your seal is good or you have a warped humi.
    Remember that a well stocked humi holds better RH too few sticks say 5 in a 50 count and they will dry out.
    Cigars are like cigar smokers they like company.
  • deejmemixxdeejmemixx Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,064
    did no one else catch that he is down to his last 5 sticks? Maybe I should have your address for safe keepings.....
  • CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 239
    You can also use a bright flashlight to check. I used my 700 lumen MTE light when I had wooden humis. You turn off all the lights and stick the flashlight inside the humi. You should see no light, if you do then your seal is shot. Another thing to remember is that wooden humidors suck up a lot of humidity so if your stash is low the wood is competing with the cigars and will win every time. This is another reason why plastic bins/bags ect are superior in my humble opinion. No competition for humidity and the media will last much longer. The advice other gave is solid, let those smokes rest and they will be fine. 30 days would be ideal. Just check the head and not the foot. The foot will humidify much faster than the head, especially with the cello on. When the head is supple then they are good to go.