Home General Discussion

Noob introduction.

DirewolfDirewolf Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,493
Wanted to say hello . I'm Rand from LI New York and just started enjoying cigars a couple months ago. One thing I would like to know is what are your favorite fallback / session sticks and What craft beers would you pair it with?

Comments

• jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    Welcome to the forum, Rand. Now PM me your address and go buy a bigger humidor. You'll thank me later.
  • JudoChinXJudoChinX Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 775
    jlmarta:
    Welcome to the forum, Rand. Now PM me your address and go buy a bigger humidor. You'll thank me later.
    Haha. He's not kidding.

To answer your question, I'm not sure I'm quite to the point where I have a fallback stick, but as far as craft beers go, I tend to go with something local; Squatters or Uinta brewing. Utah, surprisingly, has a good craft scene.
  • DirewolfDirewolf Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,493
    Craft beers have really taken off in the last few years. I really enjoy homebrewing so I know I'll be burning a few to my own beers .
  • BigT06BigT06 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,899
    Welcome to the forum!
  • Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 843
    Right now my go to stick is a MOW PA. I love that little fire cracker. It seems to loose some of its "fire" the longer it rests. I paired it with a Sam Adams Chocolate Bock this weekend. It went well together. (I know that SA isn't a "craft" beer but that is what I had). I do love a Great River Brewing Company Red Brand (coffee stout) with my cigar these days.
    Welcome to the forum!

Rob
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    Welcome aboard Rand. Not a big beer drinker so can't help you there. What type of sticks are you enjoying the most right now? Based on that answer we can likely give you dozens of others to try. Flavor profile is so important. Everyone has different tastes and what 8 out of 10 people love, the last two BOTL just won't get into them at all. If you know what you like as far as flavor and strength go... you will get lots of suggestions that won't have you running all over the place looking for the flavors you like.
    Sam's chocolate bock is really good . If you have a chance and availibilty to it try Brooklyn Brewery's Black Choclate Stout. It's an awesome beer and gets better with age on it.
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    Personally, I think a pale ale goes well with just about any type of cigar. Two of my favorites are Dogfish 60 Minute IPA or Columbus IPA (local).

You might want to check out this article which has some pretty good suggestions for pairing cigars and beer.
    Usually I'll pick up a few nat Sherman Metropolitans or Sancho Panza Double Maduro's .
  • PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 739
    Welcome Sir. Where in LI are you?
    PsychoSJG:
    Welcome Sir. Where in LI are you?
    South Shore Suffolk County
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,971
    Go to sticks: Alec Bradly 97 Harvest, Diesel d.X, My Father, and Olivia V
    Favorite pairings: Diet Coke w/rum(if possible) or Baileys on ice...the craft beer scene is awful here in ND(plus I cannot drink at my B&M in the smoking section), but I went crazy last week in AZ and hit up a lot of great ones, consumed a lot of Hefeweizen and Peach Beer for the local brewers along with some nice DFH 90min IPA, YUM!

Welcome to the forums!
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,608
    Welcome to the moneypit Direwolf. Try some Man O War, 5-Vegas, CCom blends, whatever brother - it's all good. Oh yeah, get a bigger humi too.
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    I live in the Microbrew (what you east coasters call "craft brew) Capital of the world. I enjoy lots of wondrous hop-filled delights. With that said, I enjoy Pabst or Miller with my cigars because I like the emphasis to be on the cigar and not on the flavor of the beer.
  • bdmauk24bdmauk24 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 74
    dennisking:
    I enjoy Pabst or Miller with my cigars because I like the emphasis to be on the cigar and not on the flavor of the beer.
    Wow, I don't see many PBR fans (at least anyone who'll admit it). Cheers to you Brother.
  • bdmauk24bdmauk24 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 74
    Oops, almost forgot: Welcome Rand. You'll find yourself here more than you expected. Great bunch of guys here.
    Want to thank everyone for the welcome. Rare to find a message board with such nice folks.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Direwolf:
    Want to thank everyone for the welcome. Rare to find a message board with such nice folks.
    , you ain't seen nothin' yet. Welcome wolf.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,836
    Welcome to the forum!
  • 90+ Irishman90+ Irishman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,868
    Welcome to the forums Rand, this is a great place with tons of knowledge and truly generous folks! Stick around and ask as many questions as needed, none are stupid or else they would have kicked ME off long ago lol!
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    Go to sticks: Alec Bradly 97 Harvest, Diesel d.X, My Father, and Olivia V
    Favorite pairings: Diet Coke w/rum(if possible) or Baileys on ice...the craft beer scene is awful here in ND(plus I cannot drink at my B&M in the smoking section), but I went crazy last week in AZ and hit up a lot of great ones, consumed a lot of Hefeweizen and Peach Beer for the local brewers along with some nice DFH 90min IPA, YUM!

Welcome to the forums!
    Did he just say diet coke w/rum?
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    Oh, and welcome Rand.
    Thanks folks.. I'm sure I'll have plenty of stupid questions to ask here and there. Some may even be about cigars