Home General Discussion

crisis averted ...kinda.

kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
im sure most, if not all, of you remember that thread"A Call To Arms" about a month or so ago.

...there was one casualty.

one cigar had a giant crush point in the center. somewhere along the line something bad happened to it. its too bad, too. I had never had that cigar before. Folsom is the name of cigar. Ozzy sent me a few of them. it looks like there was another one in the package with the same wrapper so not a total loss.
under normal conditions i would just throw this cigar out and feel bad about it.

good thing this isnt normal

in cigar press magazine, Vol IV Issue II, on page 62, there is a recipe for Tobacco Ice Cream with a Chocolate Bourbon Swirl.

check back to this thread through the day for updates.

Comments

• roland_7707roland_7707 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,647
    Kuzi the mad scientist.

hope it's good.
  • BigT06BigT06 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,899
    whoa... don't know what else to say.
  • bdmauk24bdmauk24 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 74
    Can't make up my mind if it sounds great or gross. Cigar=check; chocolate=check; bourbon=check; ice cream=check. All together=?? very interesting though. let us know how it turns out.
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    that's just wrong.
  • JudoChinXJudoChinX Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 775
    Wow. Talk about turning lemons into lemonade... or cigars into cigar ice cream.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    JudoChinX:
    Wow. Talk about turning lemons into lemonade... or cigars into cigar ice cream.
    damn right.

here is some of the process...

had to try the bourbon....

now i wait. its chilling in the fridge before it gets to go in the ice cream maker.
    gunna finish that Bourbon and have a cigar while i wait.

Did you take the shreds of tobacco out of it, or do you just chem em up and eat em?

btw... whatcha smokin while you wait?
    BigT06:
    Did you take the shreds of tobacco out of it, or do you just chem em up and eat em?

nm, caught it in the other thread. gonna be an interesting day for you palate... and maybe your digestive system...
  • TeegeTeege Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 660
    Im gonna go out on a limb and say the only way this taste good is if you start by drinking the whole bottle of Bourbon... just sayin
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,539
    awesome hope it works!!! I remember a thread like this before but never think anything happened with it.
  • DirewolfDirewolf Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,493
    Had flashbacks of a plug of Levi Garret and an ice cream sandwhich . Never chewed again after that .
  • GoldyGoldy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,636
    Thats going to be amazing
  • howtobasshowtobass Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 589
    Kuzi's Christmas Special..... I like it..
    BigT06:
    BigT06:

nm, caught it in the other thread. gonna be an interesting day for you palate... and maybe your digestive system...
    while i waited i was smoking a Sandusky Bay Cigar Co. cigar. not sure what one. but it was a good brisk fall walk.

the mixture actually tastes good. it is very mild and earthy. i think this is going to be a good thing.

worst case:
    hey at least i tried to save that cigar and give it life instead of throwing it out.
    Direwolf:
    Had flashbacks of a plug of Levi Garret and an ice cream sandwhich . Never chewed again after that .
    LMAO. Got quite the mental picture from that one. I remember throwing up the first time I had a chew. Nobody told me it was chew only, not chew then swallow. :p
    here is a bit more of the process:

8 degrees till i add the cooked mixture to the ice cream maker:

in the mixture goes:

time to make the bourbon chocolate swirl:

Ice cream is done:

Add the swirl:

that is how it looks in my freezer currently. the small taste i had was good. the real test is if my wife likes it.
    wish me luck.

• kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Dude, I would love to give that a taste. How do you think it would taste with a touch of coffee in the ice cream.. I make my own coffee ice cream as it is one of my favorites.
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    kuzi16:

that is how it looks in my freezer currently. the small taste i had was good. the real test is if my wife likes it.
    wish me luck.

dude, looks, f'ing amazing, let us know how the missus, likes it.
    so... im eating it right now.

the initial taste is interesting. if there is a hefty dose of the chocolate bourbon swirl involved it is sweet and chocolatey with an almost black pepper almond taste to it. it does have a "fall leaves" taste to it.

there is just one major problem.

it sucks.

its a bit too strong. fall leaves are a wonderful thing to smell, but when concentrated and tasted it is a different ball game.

the recipe calls for the tobacco to steep for 20-30 minutes. the longer it steeps, the stronger it will be. I was on the low end of the recipie and had it in for 20 minutes.

i feel that 10 would have been enough. maybe even 5. a good tea is in from 3-6 minutes.

the biggest problem is that there is a harshness at the end. its spicy and throws the entire thing out of balance.

if i were to make this again i would up the sugar a slight bit, add a bit more of the bourbon swirl (i didn't add it all, the recipe made A LOT) and i would steep the tobacco for only 5 minutes.

...if being the operative word. im gunna chalk this experiment up as a fail, but what a glorious fail it is.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Oh well, It looked good from here.
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    haha! For Science . . . you monster.
  • The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    Maybe after a day or two of intermingling it will be better, I gotta tel ya it looks tasty and the sound of the chocolate bourbon swirl thing sounds great, wonder how it would be with something like emmetts Irish cream
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    Not a flavor I'd ever have thought of . Think I'll stick to mint chocolate chip.
    xmacro:
    haha! For Science . . . you monster.
    it was that or throw it out.
    If nothing else, you entertained us (at least me) all day with this thing! Kudos for even trying.
    I would just try it again without the cigar. That chocolate bourbon swirl sounds like a scoop of heaven!
  • DirewolfDirewolf Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,493
    kudos for giving it a go. I wouldn't have thought to try it.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    At least the cigar didn't get wasted and died for a good cause. lol
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    I wouldn't mind having the recipe for the bourbon chocolate swirl. Minus the tobacco, of course. That part doesn't excite me.
  • jj20030jj20030 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,448
    maybe its like sketti, it taste better the 2end day,lol , jim beam black is one of my favs.