Home General Discussion

Which cigar would you smoke for your birthday?

allsmokedupallsmokedup Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 738
So my birthday is coming up in a few days and I have 3 super premiums I could smoke. Choices are Ashton VSG, Opus X or a God of Fire- Don Carlito. I'm not sure which one to go for as I've never had any one of them.

I'm leaning toward the Opus or VSG as I think the GoF will not live up to expectations based on what others have said.

Comments

• kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    allsmokedup:
    So my birthday is coming up in a few days and I have 3 super premiums I could smoke. Choices are Ashton VSG, Opus X or a God of Fire- Don Carlito. I'm not sure which one to go for as I've never had any one of them.

I'm leaning toward the Opus or VSG as I think the GoF will not live up to expectations based on what others have said.
    All three are highly praised, and should be pleasing. I personally like the Ashton anytime, the Opus with a lot of age, and I can't tell you about the GOF since I'm still aging the ones I have. Happy Birthday, by the way.
  • jj20030jj20030 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,448
    allsmokedup:

VSG
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    I'd go with the opus if it has a few years on it. Otherwise I'd go with the vsg. I haven't been to impressed with any of the gof carlitos I've had.
  • allsmokedupallsmokedup Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 738
    Opus X has roughly 8-10 months on it, I think. Approximately the same for the other 2.
    Ah, it's a Don Carlos GoF, not a Carlito.
  • james40james40 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,450
    Happy Birthday bro. I haven't had either and for me, I would hit that Opus. The GoF is my second choice.
  • danielruasdanielruas Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 778
    My birthday is acually coming up next month and I have thought about this a little bit, I'm leaning towards one of my Cohibas I've been sitting on for 6+ months or one of my armadas. I also have a opus that Doc sent me but I want to let that sit for at least another year. When the time comes I'll probably make a short list and have the great brothers here help me decide.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    I would go for the VSG. My reason being, the Opus might need some more time. The GoF DC for me is one awesome smoke, but that is my opinion. I've got some with some serious age on them. Some are 4+ while I have some of the Carlito 2004 that I got in 2007. So that is 4+ years for me plus 3 more since they were rolled back in 2004. Keep in mind that the year that is on them is the year they were rolled iirc. And then they were sold 2 years later.
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,647
    Haven't had any of those, but happy birthday.
    Thanks guys! I didn't know that the year on the GoFs was the year they were rolled. This one I have is a 2007.
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,971
    VSG gets my vote as well. I have the 3 cigars listed and I am waiting until the stars line-up where I have a clear mind and a great reason to celebrate. I have only hit the Opus X on my -1(we are getting married next Oct) anniversary...and will smoke another one next year on the same day. The VSG is a GREAT stick and will not disappoint
  • TeegeTeege Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 660
    I haven't smoked near the number of sticks most people have so my pallet isnt quite as advanced. That being said I would really like to smoke an Opus X just because of all the comments on them. That would be my birthday choice.
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    if it's a GoF Don Carlos, I would go with that. I love the VSG and Opus as well. You really can't go wrong with any of them.
  • 90+ Irishman90+ Irishman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,868
    I would go VSG.... it's a stupendous smoke that has never once let me down, whereas the Opus can be finicky if it doesn't have enough age on them. As for the GoF... well you will never be disappointed IMHO, but to me that is an anniversary smoke, or baby being born etc... something truly grandeous I guess.

As for what I would have on my birthday (March 13th), assuming I could even find it, and second if said person would be willing to trade for it (no one is in mind I just know how special and rare they are) it would be a Fuente Anejo Shark #77... but I am not holding my breath for that one lol
  • MarkerMarker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,524
    As far as what I would smoke on my birthday, I have been thinking about the Ashton ESG Lately. I have one that's been resting for awhile and everytime I open my humi, it starts calling my name,
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,971
    kaspera79:
    As far as what I would smoke on my birthday, I have been thinking about the Ashton ESG Lately. I have one that's been resting for awhile and everytime I open my humi, it starts calling my name,
    Same here, I got one in a trade...its a big boy tho, the churchie(20 year salute)
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    kaspera79:
    Same here, I got one in a trade...its a big boy tho, the churchie(20 year salute)
    Mine is the 23 year, I try not to think about it too much or else it may meet an early demise.
  • RCY CigarsRCY Cigars Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,346
    Well, last year I bought a box of Camacho Scorpion's in December. My B-Day is next week and I'm going to smoke that. Figured, I'd smoke one once a year. Don't know if it's good or bad. But, I'm going with that since that's my zodiac sign. Why not, if it's bad and I haven't had a Camacho yet that I didn't like. I can always fire up something else....

• RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    I got me an ISOM Monte Cristo and a Hoya De Monterey for Christmas and my birthday.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,836
    I'd say VSG I dunno why that's just what my gut says. Happy bday!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    i am not a huge fan lf the VSG. not that i thiunk its bad. i mean it is a good smoke but it has a flavor profile that im not into and is overall mild in flavor. the GoF is a cigar that i dont have too much experience with and when i smoke a birthday cigar i want something that i know i will like. i dont want to be disappointed on my birthday.

given the options you put out, i would go OpusX especially if it was in the Petite Lancero or the Perfexion no.4 Vitolas.
    kuzi16:
    i am not a huge fan lf the VSG. not that i thiunk its bad. i mean it is a good smoke but it has a flavor profile that im not into and is overall mild in flavor. the GoF is a cigar that i dont have too much experience with and when i smoke a birthday cigar i want something that i know i will like. i dont want to be disappointed on my birthday.

given the options you put out, i would go OpusX especially if it was in the Petite Lancero or the Perfexion no.4 Vitolas.

Now you have me thinking. I should have smoked one of the Camacho's first. But even with saying that, I haven't had a cigar from them I didn't like. I'm praying for the best to happen.

I never did answer which one out of your three. I would go with the VSG seeing that I know I enjoy smoking that cigar. And I have smoked more of those than any OpusX. Maybe that's what I'll do on my birthday. Smoke both, maybe you can get at least two out of the three your thinking about smoking....

• The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    I'd go with something from the humidor of DD inc.
    The Kid:
    I'd go with something from the humidor of DD inc.

I wish! No ISOMs on hand, unfortunately. I think I will go with the VSG, and then work from there.... Probably the GoF as a followup the next day or right after.
    When is your B-Day?

• rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    allsmokedup:

I wish! No ISOMs on hand, unfortunately. I think I will go with the VSG, and then work from there.... Probably the GoF as a followup the next day or right after.
    My personal opinion is that I would smoke each one independantly of each other. Smoke the GoF the next day.
  • JudoChinXJudoChinX Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 775
    rwheelwright:
    allsmokedup:

My personal opinion is that I would smoke each one independantly of each other. Smoke the GoF the next day.
    Having had none of those either, so you can pretty much completely disregard anything I say, I'd go with the OpusX since it's such a fabled smoke to me. Tony changed that though and hooked me up, but it's going to get plenty of rest before its inevitable demise.