Home General Discussion

Will last for 500 years unopened ...

gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
Was listning to a radio contest the other morning and the question was : A food packed in a can that if unopened will last for approximatly 500 years and still be edible , what is it ?

The answer was Spam !!! Does Spam have an expiration date ; and if it does and this is true , WHY !?!?

Just thought that was interesting .

Comments

• KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
  • VulchorVulchor Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,176
    No WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ive heard this of Spam, Honey (as Krieg stated), twinkies...and a few others. While I dont believe any of it------is it bad that I wouldnt mind having 2 twinkies with spam and honey between them and then the whole thing deep fried and eaten off a stick at the fair???? I mean...just sayin.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    Vulchor:
    No WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ive heard this of Spam, Honey (as Krieg stated), twinkies...and a few others. While I dont believe any of it------is it bad that I wouldnt mind having 2 twinkies with spam and honey between them and then the whole thing deep fried and eaten off a stick at the fair???? I mean...just sayin.
    I almost threw up in my mouth after reading this...
  • VulchorVulchor Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,176
    Thanks!!.......lolllllllllllll.......but its like throw up in a good way, no?
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    Vulchor:
    Thanks!!.......lolllllllllllll.......but its like throw up in a good way, no?
    I was ok with the twinkie but spam and honey ruined it.
  • HeavyHeavy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,590
    Vulchor:
    I'd give it a try. Hell, I'd try a deep fried shoe from the fair - I'm sure they would make it tasty somehow.
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,707
    Vulchor:
    I've eaten 500 year old Spam, Vulchor. It's delicious, don't knock it till you've tried it.
  • smoke em if you got emsmoke em if you got em Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,119
    gmill880:
    Was listning to a radio contest the other morning and the question was : A food packed in a can that if unopened will last for approximatly 500 years and still be edible , what is it ?

The answer was Spam !!! Does Spam have an expiration date ; and if it does and this is true , WHY !?!?

Where you listening to the John Boy and Billy show??
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    nice, btw twinkies will go bad. I use to think they wouldn't but on modern marvels this question was answered. now I want some twinkies, deep fryed at that.
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    smoke em if you got em:
    gmill880:

Yeah , I think it was
  • smoke em if you got emsmoke em if you got em Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,119
    gmill880:
    smoke em if you got em:
    gmill880:

Yeah , I think it was
    Right on.I heard that yesterday I do believe.
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    smoke em if you got em:
    gmill880:
    smoke em if you got em:
    gmill880:

Yeah , I think it was
    Right on.I heard that yesterday I do believe.

They crack me up ... warped sense of humor like mine !
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,762
    phobicsquirrel:
    nice, btw twinkies will go bad. I use to think they wouldn't but on modern marvels this question was answered. now I want some twinkies, deep fryed at that.
    Why didn't I wait for that show..... I can PERSONALLY atest that Twinkies go bad, really really bad. About 20 years ago I was at my brothers house waiting on him so we could go out. Naturally I hit the kitchen panty looking for something to munch on, ah Twinkies. Took one out of the box, tore the wrapper off, took a big ole bite and tasted the most disgusting thing ever. He was damn lucky I made it to the sink to puke my guts up. After puking I looked and there was NO WHITE FILLING IT WAS JUST GREEN MOLD..... my brother heard the commotion and yelled out, Don't eat the Twinkies, there bad......WTF, why would you knowingly leave that SH!T in your pantry..........
  • asianbiker8asianbiker8 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 551
    yeah, i've seen mold grow on twinkies too, after a long time honey turns really dark and tastes kinda funky too. haha, phobicsquirrel, does your brother take out spoiled milk from the fridge, smell it, almost hurl, and then put it back in the fridge again too?
  • MarkerMarker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,524
    bandyt09:
    phobicsquirrel:
    Why didn't I wait for that show..... I can PERSONALLY atest that Twinkies go bad, really really bad. About 20 years ago I was at my brothers house waiting on him so we could go out. Naturally I hit the kitchen panty looking for something to munch on, ah Twinkies. Took one out of the box, tore the wrapper off, took a big ole bite and tasted the most disgusting thing ever. He was damn lucky I made it to the sink to puke my guts up. After puking I looked and there was NO WHITE FILLING IT WAS JUST GREEN MOLD..... my brother heard the commotion and yelled out, Don't eat the Twinkies, there bad......WTF, why would you knowingly leave that SH!T in your pantry..........
    The twinkies were just waiting for the next victim...
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,121
    I like Spam but this makes me not want to eat!
  • JudoChinXJudoChinX Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 775
    Honey will indeed last for a long long long long time: link to specifics

As far as spam, Hormel has this to say:

What is the shelf life of a Hormel Foods product in an unopened can?
    The processing techniques utilized by Hormel Foods makes the canned product safe for use indefinitely if the product seal remains intact, unbroken and securely attached to a can that has been well maintained. It is suggested that all canned products be stored in a cool and dry environment to keep the flavor adequately preserved. For maximum flavor it is recommended that the product be used within three years of the manufacturing date. After that period of time, the product is still safe to use however, the flavor gradually declines.

Snopes has the dirt on Twinkies another link
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    In addition to Spam, don't forget the other essentials, for when the zombie apocalypse occurs:

And for the phobic among us:

• kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    The only thing missing from your Zombie Survival kit are the cigars.
  • The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    bandyt09:
    phobicsquirrel:
    Thats some funny stuff!!!
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    I can only envision a post-apocolyptic world where the only memories are that of a highly processed meat product and Monty Python...
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,836
    The Kid:
    bandyt09:
    phobicsquirrel:
    Hilarious!
  • CvilleECvilleE Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,177
    The Kid:
    bandyt09:
    phobicsquirrel:
    I think I swallowed some chunks for u not meaning to but....i've seen a lot of maggots in my day but this was sick...
  • JudoChinXJudoChinX Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 775
    CvilleE:
    The Kid:
    bandyt09:
    phobicsquirrel:
    I think I swallowed some chunks for u not meaning to but....i've seen a lot of maggots in my day but this was sick...
    *shudder*
  • CvilleECvilleE Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,177
    JudoChinX:
    CvilleE:
    The Kid:
    bandyt09:
    phobicsquirrel:
    *shudder*
    Exactly.....
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    Honey is the only food that won't decompose. Well, besides McDonalds French fries.
  • bearbbearb Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,044
    In case you have never watched Super Size me, this is an extra certainly worth watching. The results are a tad revolting, but the absence of breakdown in McDonalds foods is pretty interesting/disturbuing!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wmac-INoXg enjoy!
  • bdmauk24bdmauk24 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 74
    MickeyD's. Yeah, I know a guy who's got a burger going on 2 years now. He says it still looks edible!!