Home General Discussion

Cigars that really show off FILLER

ljlljl Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 819
So...I was thinking about some of my favorite smokes the other day and what I would order more of. I was going through the mental list and I realized the wrapper is really what makes these sticks stand out to me. Then I wondered, "what's my favorite cigar based on the the filler"? I couldn't think of any. Maybe some of my favorites are like that - I just can't appreciate the difference.

So here are the questions 1) Anybody got any smokes they love based on the filler (you can like the wrapper too, the filler has to be what makes it stand out)? 2) If you have some smokes that fill the bill for question 1, how were you able to tell the filler made it great? Always willing to try few sticks to see if they give me this impression. Maybe I've lost a little perspective because of my love of wrappers? Any and all opinions welcome...fire away!

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    DPG Blue in the A vitola.

ive smoked many DPG blues but the best size for me is the A.
    every vitola has its complexities and characters, but the A has a great journey. i know this has to be the filler because of how the A is rolled. almost the entire length of the leaf is used in the filler. you can really see what a filler leaf can do when the entire thing is in there.

the other cigar that i like for the filler is the LFD DL both the maduro and the regular. there are similar flavor elements in both of them and there are some differences. the things that are the same are caused by the filler. this cigar is one of the few cigars that i also like at a large or small ring. the larger ring, the more filler.
  • BigT06BigT06 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,899
    not to sound ignorant... but what is the A vitola? I can't seem to find it anywhere...
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    I agree with kuzi on the LFD DL, especially the 660 and 700 which really showcase the filler instead of the chisel for example, which showcases the wrapper more. The MOW Virtue is another that has more filler than wrapper flavor, to my disappointment though.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    BigT06:
    not to sound ignorant... but what is the A vitola? I can't seem to find it anywhere...
    An A is a reference to the size. In this case it might be the Exclusivos (Gran Corona). Not every brand calls it an A. Check out the Opus X A. It is a smiliar size to the Exclusivos (Gran Corona). I would say that the common factor in the A is the size. It is usually one big mother f u c k e r.
  • jkallen83jkallen83 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 142
    newbie question........how do u tell the difference in the wrapper and filler when smoking? how do u know since it all burns together? how would u truly know without peeling it and smoking separate that ur not tasting one or the other, or maybe a combination of both??
  • The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    I agree with Kuzi, The filler is pretty dominant when its ligero... I believe the binder plays a big role in cigars too, Cigars with an indonesian binder like the AB tempus, or a cameroon binder like the Gurkha legend , or a sumatra binder all interplay with the cigar's flavor, Its sitting down and trying to find those common denominators,,Sometimes you can just go with a blender like AJ or Pepin and trust their blending skills. Another difference although generic would be comparing cigars from Nicaragua vs Honduras.., Other countries tobacco like Brazil, Mexico, Peru all contribute to a cigars certain taste. Another example.. the Sol Cubano cuban cabinet,, now just from my notes it has a ecuadorian habano wrapper, and filler from Honduras and Nicaragua, I dont know what the binder is.. vs the AB Tempus which has a Honduran Habano wrapper and filler from Honduras and Nicaragua this has an indonesian binder.. Now on paper one could say theyre comparable, smoke em and see if thats the case.
    jkallen83:
    newbie question........how do u tell the difference in the wrapper and filler when smoking? how do u know since it all burns together? how would u truly know without peeling it and smoking separate that ur not tasting one or the other, or maybe a combination of both??
    For me this is sometimes very difficult, SMoking a shaggy foot cigar will help, also I can pick out cameroon in a cigar very well, So any other flavors can be attributed to the wrapper/filler/binder,, whatevers not cameroon, Not sure if this made sense. I think a good blender is more of an Alchemist than a Scientist or Botanist.. Not only does he marry all these components together, but as the cigar progresses throughout the burn, different flavors come and go.. Its actually pretty impressive
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    Many brands offer sticks with the same filler, but different wrappers. AF has the flor fina 8-5-8 series in Connecticut, Maduro, and Candella, all with the same filler. If you want to taste different fillers, compare a Fuente (Dominican tobacco) and a Nicaraguan (say, a Puro Authentico). You'll notice the different fillers.
    beatnic:
    Many brands offer sticks with the same filler, but different wrappers. AF has the flor fina 8-5-8 series in Connecticut, Maduro, and Candella, all with the same filler. If you want to taste different fillers, compare a Fuente (Dominican tobacco) and a Nicaraguan (say, a Puro Authentico). You'll notice the different fillers.
    That is a great suggestion!! I want to say one more thing about blenders, I bet AJ could tell you what region in Nicaragua (condega, esteli, jalapa) a tobacco leaf is from just by smelling it..Theyre truly amazing
  • wwhwangwwhwang Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,863
    I don't really know a cigar people really smoke just for the filler, but I will say that Padilla has some lines where the filler and wrapper are equally good. The criollo filler and binder from the Miami, 1932, and Dominus provide an earthy sweetness that work terribly well together with the Corojo wrappers, which provide a subtle spiciness.
    BigT06:
    the DPG "A" is 9.25 x 48.
    the "A" vitola is that size. it is a great size because of how it does show off the potential of a filler.
    jkallen83:
    this is an awesome question.

to understand what is what in a cigar, find a cigar that is classically blended (davidoff, Padron, Camacho, Fuente); and by that i mean, the blender does not tweak the blend to make each cigar size taste the same. buy the largest ring and the smallest ring of the same line/bend. smoke them at the same time. youll taste more flavor from the wrapper in the smaller vitola, and more flavor from the filler int he larger vitola.

but how do you tell just by smoking one cigar?

man... that is a difficult question.
    i have pretty much dedicated almost all of my spare time studying cigars and tobacco. i pay as much attention to cigars as i can. im not sure that 100% of the time i can tell what is wrapper and filler by taste. after years of experience and study, i get a feeling or an impression of what im smoking. How do i know a cigar has nicaraguan tobacco in it? i can feel it. i can just tell. its all kinda zen actually.
    beatnic:
    the 8-5-8 is a great learning tool. I actually sent one of each to a few of the brothers here in the past just for comparisons sake. im really glad you brought that up. you can learn about the filler from those too. there are some similar flavors in those as well. the similarities are the filler. the differences are the wrapper.

if you can find the inverse (same wrapper different filler) then you can compare the other way around. try the 5 vegas AAA and the Diesel Unholy Cocktail. same wrapper. different filler.

another good note that you hit on in this quoted block is the nicaraguan vs dominican. When i went to Nicaragua i was told not to bring any nicaraguan cigars on the trip, only dominican. we were handed 4-5 cigars per factory we visited that were all Nicaraguan puros. When Jose Padron hands you a cigar, you smoke it. when Johnathan Drew hands you a cigar, you smoke it. When AJ Fernandez hands you a cigar, you smoke it. we were smoking 3 Nicaraguan cigars a day. at night when we were on the roof of the hotel smoking what we wanted, those domionican cigars stood out. the difference was amazing. it was one of the most memorable Avo Domaines that i have ever had.
  • dbeckomdbeckom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,807
    kuzi16:
    BigT06:
    the "A" vitola is that size. it is a great size because of how it does show off the potential of a filler.
    The DPG Exclusivo (A-size) is one of the best cigars I have ever smoked!

dbeckom:
    kuzi16:
    BigT06:

...and longest. 4.5 hours.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    kuzi16:
    dbeckom:
    kuzi16:
    BigT06:

My B&M has the LFD DL in the A size. That thing looks mean. As soon as I have $23.50 burning a hole in my pocket that baby is all mine!
  • dbeckomdbeckom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,807
    kuzi16:
    dbeckom:
    kuzi16:
    BigT06:

Yessir...I think mine went for 3:45. It was delicious all the way to the nub!
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    Love A sized smokes. There aren't many on the market, but they always offer a great experience, and Kuz makes an awesome point about the full length of the filler leaf being able to be used.
  • BigT06BigT06 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,899
    dbeckom:
    kuzi16:
    dbeckom:
    kuzi16:
    BigT06:

Well I finally broke down and ordered some more DPG blue's yesterday... but I got the standard toro size. Maybe TW will have an A when we go sat. I hope so. I'd love to take a run at a 4hr DPG! DELICIOUS!
  • lcpleellcpleel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,447
    BigT06:
    dbeckom:
    kuzi16:
    dbeckom:
    kuzi16:
    BigT06:

Well I finally broke down and ordered some more DPG blue's yesterday... but I got the standard toro size. Maybe TW will have an A when we go sat. I hope so. I'd love to take a run at a 4hr DPG! DELICIOUS!
    I'm a fan of the A but even more of a fan on the lanceros. DPG Blue in lancero ranks up top!