Home Cigar 101

Good Cigars/ Tough Draws

mat4twampmat4twamp Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9
Hello, I am still pretty new to the whole cigar smoking. It seems like everytime I get a well constructed and thick (for the lack of a better word, by this I mean it feels really stuffed full of filler) cigar I always get a tough draw until the end. For instance last night I smoked a Padilla Obsidian, great taste but I though I was going to suck my cheeks into my lungs. I either use a punch or a clipper. On looser cigars my punch seems to take out more tobacco from the end and I get a better draw. I had to clip the Padilla last night as it was a Torpedo. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ryan

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Padilla torpedos have a pretty tight draw across the board. What you have to do is cut more than you normally would from the head. My advice is to do your normal cut, then test the draw....if it is too tight, cut off some more and test again.
  • mustluvcigarsmustluvcigars Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 686
    ive also learned, as I am brand new as well,,, the cigars nees to "rest" after being shipped...most here have said six weeks, I too have some really good cigar with the same problem, some worst than others, hoping was because they were just too fresh..
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    j0z3r:
    Padilla torpedos have a pretty tight draw across the board.
    I've never drawn one across a board. Doesn't that mess up the wrapper? (I slay me.)
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,384
    Most of us on here have had the Padilla Obsidian and the concensus is they have burn and draw issues, rather consistently. I have one left and i'm leaving it for a while, still wont buy any more though.
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947

urbino:
    j0z3r:
    I've never drawn one across a board. Doesn't that mess up the wrapper? (I slay me.)

Only if j0z3r doesn't get you first 'Bino

urbino:
    j0z3r:
    El Oh El. :) You funny guy.

Jet: I've had draw issues until I started cutting enough off of them, after that the burn issues I experienced went away as well. This specific cigar is probably the torpedo I've had to cut the most from, the opening ends up being roughly 1/2"-5/8" in diameter. Try that out the next time you smoke one and see if it works out. And if you ever need or want some more Obsidians, let me know as I have an unholy amount of them.
    The first one i smoked the draw was....ok....waaay tighter than it should have been but i ended up chunking it because the burn was atrocious. The second was damn near plugged. The third i gave away :), the fourth started off a torpedo and ended up a robusto....i got annoyed and just started chopping 1/8" at a time, that made the draw better. The fifth(of the fiver i got) is still in the humi in time-out. It's annoying as hell because from the puffs i've been able to take...it's a pretty good flavor.
    I agree, it is frustrating because it does have a good flavor. My experiences were pretty similar, the first one was tight, the burn was bad and I hucked it after a short struggle. The second one, same deal. Third one draw was tight, cut until it was right and then it tasted like burned crap. Finally at either the fourth or fifth, I got wise and started testing the draw and now I don't have problems with the Obsidian. All in all it amounts to a lot of trial and error, fortunately for me I didn't give up on it...probably because I have so many I was bound and determined to make it good. :)
    And to prove myself wrong, like that's so hard to do, I tried smoking an Obsidian tonight. Sure enough it had a tight draw...nothing cutting a bit more can't fix, right? Wrong, a resounding wrong. Oh, and sure enough it didn't want to burn well either.

I'm officially changing my stance here. I'm leaning towards thinking the Obsidian is a fundamentally flawed cigar...good when you get a good one, but maybe the good ones are harder to come by than I had thought. Oh well, I still like it even if it is a pain in the ass.
    After hearin that i'm calling it quits with that cigar. It seems consistent with the draw/burn problems. Probably some torcedor in the padilla factory who is a real a$$shole.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    cut the one you have left and try to draw off it. if it doesnt draw well, throw it in the bottom of your humi and let it sit. a year or two from now try to draw off it again. if it works smoke, if it doesnt...repeat.
  • mat4twampmat4twamp Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9
    Cool thanks for all of the info. I will try out the advice. I actually just got another Padilla Obsidian in a order I got so I will keep my fingers crossed! On a seperate note I smoked a Partagas Spanish Rosada "Familia" size. Ohhhh my goodnes, by far the best smoke I have had so far (which isn't saying a whole bunch). Perfect construction, great taste and burned awesome! I would recommend those to anyone!
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    The Partagas Spanish Rosado is a great smoke,,,I always keep a couple around...love the hint of cinnamon flavor ...