Home General Discussion

Cigars in Movies, Are they Smoking them Wrong?

phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
For the last couple of weeks my wife and I are watching the Sopranos. She's never seen the show and now we are half way through season 5. I've been wondering if any of the cast actually smokes cigars and if they do, do they know they are smoking them wrong? For example, I think in season one, Tony is BBQing and his cigar is tunneled the hell out of and he just puffs the hell out of it. Many other scenes through the show are this way. Pus-sy lights and puffs the hell out of them, as does jimmy. I've seen most if not all of the shots of Tony smoking his cigars wrong and or lighting them wrong. Maybe its me, maybe I like my cigars to burn even, or maybe I'm being a cigar snob. I'm not entirely sure, however most of the time when I see them smoking cigars in that show they are either going out or are horribly uneven.

Comments

• skweekzskweekz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,218
    I noticed that too. I remember reading somewhere that James Gandolfini is actually a cigar smoker for real. So I just chalked it up to he probably didn't notice when they were filming. How many times did they have to re-film the same scenes to get them right? That could start to get taxing after a while. He was most likely just pre-occupied with what was going on around to even notice.
  • BigT06BigT06 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,899
    Drives me crazy too! In Wall Street 2 Michael Douglas lights a Davidoff... Very wrong... And then snuffs it out in the ashtray after like 2 puffs... It made me angry!
  • lcpleellcpleel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,447
    BigT06:
    Drives me crazy too! In Wall Street 2 Michael Douglas lights a Davidoff... Very wrong... And then snuffs it out in the ashtray after like 2 puffs... It made me angry!
    Thats just showing that hes got the money to do that no?
  • lcpleellcpleel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,447
    How about Watchmen when the cigars torched with the flame thrower. LOL
  • The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    Got to mention Columbo, he smoked em!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vkKt7fGdt4
    LMAO
  • HaybletHayblet Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,400
    one of the dudes in Gold Rush Alaska on Discovery smokes Cigars too, what few times they show him looks like he's smokin 1961's can't really tell though
  • BigT06BigT06 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,899
    lcpleel:
    BigT06:
    Thats just showing that hes got the money to do that no?
    I don't care what the reason is! I've never even held a Davidoff in my hand! I have a lot of respect for that brand, and it makes me sick to see somebody do that to one. If he would've set a $20 bill on fire, it wouldn't have phased me... But not the Davidoff!
  • PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 739
    Some actors dont know how to light and smoke em, but thats not the main problem. The real issue is they have to do what looks good on cam for the reg person. Lighting a real cigar takes too long in a scene. And with smoking and tunneling, well, more smoke looks better on cam, and they have to do take after take of the same scenes. Even if they know how to smoke properly, they usually arent able to on set.
  • Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 843
    I've noticed the same thing while watching the Sopranos. I even remember one time, I think it was in the first season, Tony reaches up to a regular cabinet in the kitchen and pulls out a box of cubans as a birthday present for a neighbor. I was like WTF! How long have they been sitting with the pots and pans in the kitchen. They have got to be some dried up turds by the time he hands them to his neighbor.
  • The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    One of my favorite movies last year was the Expendables,, If you havent seen it I highly recommend it.. Anyhow Arnold makes an appearance smoking a fat stogie..nice
  • The SniperThe Sniper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,910
    I notice it a lot in movies and TV too. Makes me appreciate Ron Perleman even more - have never seen him butcher one, whether in Sons of Anarchy or in the Hellboy movies.

• ENFIDLENFIDL Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,836
    I've noticed this a lot. I figure it comes to them being an accessory not the focus. Whenever I do see it getting smoked correctly I have a greater appreciation for it because you can tell that actor doesn't care about it being an accessory they want to truly enjoy their cigar
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    PsychoSJG:
    Some actors dont know how to light and smoke em, but thats not the main problem. The real issue is they have to do what looks good on cam for the reg person. Lighting a real cigar takes too long in a scene. And with smoking and tunneling, well, more smoke looks better on cam, and they have to do take after take of the same scenes. Even if they know how to smoke properly, they usually arent able to on set.
    I sort of figured that too once I thought about it. It still drives me nuts.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,910
    ENFIDL:
    I've noticed this a lot. I figure it comes to them being an accessory not the focus. Whenever I do see it getting smoked correctly I have a greater appreciation for it because you can tell that actor doesn't care about it being an accessory they want to truly enjoy their cigar
    RESPECT! True dat my brotha! :-)

• HaybletHayblet Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,400
    I "think" in Independence Day both Will Smith (who doesn't smoke but will hold one effin retard) and Jeff Goldblume smoke them somewhat properly
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Lighting them wrong, smoking them wrong, Left side, right side, in the middle...what's the difference. I see people in shops and such who look awkward as helll smoking or lighting. My smoking style may seem odd to some ( but I doubt it ) I just think they must be enjoying them, good to see.
    On TV or movies they are not focused on selling the cigar in the scene, so it becomes a prop, so only cigar lovers focus on the mistakes. I was watching a movie and my wife said who the hell drinks red wine with lobster. I said people who like red wine.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    there was a picture of the "most interesting man in the world" at work. the cigar he was holding was tunneling and hardly smoked at all. it always bugged me.

• asianbiker8asianbiker8 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 551
    Just watched the movie, the girl next door, and saw them lighting a cigar with a zippo lighter. At least the older guy told the kid that he should rotate the cigar while lighting.
  • JSaintJSaint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,848
    lcpleel:
    How about Watchmen when the cigars torched with the flame thrower. LOL
    Now that was the sh!t. But the chemicals.......oh the chemicals lol!
  • HeavyHeavy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,590
    I used to have mad respect for this guy. Then I saw this travesty. Lighting a cigar with a car cigarette lighter?? (do they even make those anymore?) I mean come on! Plus, look at those unhumidified sticks sitting in the car. What a newb!!

• cooch36cooch36 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 711
    Some of you may think I'm a d!ck for saying this but reeeaaallly. It's a show Tony is not in the mob and doesn't really kill people either. It's a show. I love to smoke and sometimes I use a bic, sometime while driving I don't rotate just trying not to crash. No disrespect intended.
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    cooch36:
    Some of you may think I'm a d!ck for saying this but reeeaaallly. It's a show Tony is not in the mob and doesn't really kill people either. It's a show. I love to smoke and sometimes I use a bic, sometime while driving I don't rotate just trying not to crash. No disrespect intended.

And while we're at it ... There ain't no dayummm tooth fairy either ... it was your dayummm parents you little snot nose ... now I feel much better !!!