Home General Discussion

Half Smoked???

jkallen83jkallen83 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 142
ok im new to cigar smoking and some cigars are big or long and i just dont end up smoking the entire thing at one time, but i try to. after half smoked, they smell terrible. my question is, if anyone half smokes their cigars, what do u do with it till u finish it? i dont want that smell in my humidor i just replace it in its cellophane till i finish.. but is there anything special to do with them that yall do?

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    throw it out.

it isnt the same unless you can get it lit back up very soon. the longer it sits the more that smell will infuse to the rest of the cigar.

solution: smoke shorter cigars

• jkallen83jkallen83 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 142
    Yeah I found the 5x50 robusto to be really nice. I try to smoke all but noticed one long one in my sampler was a bit much for me, got busy lol. So just asking.
  • jj20030jj20030 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,448
    ive tried but seems like only 1 outta a bunch i was able to finish after it sat a day so, i toss them ,so now i pick by amount of time i know i want to spend so i can try finish the whole thing , also i have a tall planters peanut can with lid that i throw my oldies in to hold the smell of the old ones till i bag them up to take when i go out to the trash can.
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    Unfortunately, the real answer is... don't smoke a cigar if you don't have time to smoke the whole thing.
  • t_evan50t_evan50 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,725
    I first started trying coronas and petit coronas for this reason. Sometimes I just didn't have 2 hours to smoke. Then I ended up really liking them and now coronas and lanceros are my favorite vitolas. Point is experement and find what suits u.
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    docbp87:
    Unfortunately, the real answer is... don't smoke a cigar if you don't have time to smoke the whole thing.

Unfortunately , sometimes life interferes with this solution , thats just the way it is .

However , as you become more experienced with " your own " smoking speed , you will learn the size cigar and correct amount of time to allow for it . If you must put it down , about 20-30 minutes is as long as I'm willing to let one set before tossing it . Just my preference ... and you will develop yours . I think the most important thing to address though is that you should not put a half smoked cigar back in your humi in cellophane or otherwise for that matter . That smell is tough to unlock from the cedar in a humi and should be avoided at all costs IMHO .

Welcome to the forum , a great bunch of guys , and best cigar forum around !!!
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    Even after going out for 5 minutes, the cigar is never going to taste the same.
    what about cutting in half? anyone do that? take a long one and cut only what u want to smoke off it? i know if its a torpedo u wont have the taper, but just asking.
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    docbp87:

This is true , the flavor profile definitly changes for sure . However I do have some favorites ( AF Anejo # 77 , PSD # 4 and a few others ) those babies are getting re-lit after being out 5-10 minutes re-gardless of how many I have horded up LOL !!!

docbp87 PM to ya .
  • jj20030jj20030 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,448
    gmill880:
    docbp87:

However I do have some favorites ( AF Anejo # 77 , PSD # 4 and a few others ) those babies are getting re-lit after being out 5-10 minutes re-gardless of how many I have horded up LOL !!!

THAT'S FOR F-IN A SURE RIGHT THERE,LOL
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Before I light a PSD4 I am certain there is going to be enough time to smoke it at a relaxed pace.
    does anyone take larger/longer cigars and cut them in half? instead of lighting one u cannot finish? or would that even work?
    It would work, The wrapper may unravel on the top half.. It will change the intended profile of the cigar, but it will still burn. I wouldnt do it but there are some that would.
    .. Buy smaller cigars, set aside more time, or put it down when you are no longer enjoying the cigar. But never save it for later.
    lots of good info here.....reason i asked this question is because i LOVE the smell of my humidor, and last night i didnt get to finish a cigar...finished it today although, like mentioned, it wasnt as good. but its smell was bad and i didnt want to put it in my humidor.. so i put it back in its cello and put it in a ziplock bag. id rather be safe than sorry, so i did the right thing by NOT putting it back in the humidor. the sampler pack i had has all kinds and sizes so i've got to try different ones as well as sizes.. anything around the size of a 5x50 robusto seems to be perfect....its the right amount of smoking, but also easy to hold and handle... humidor is almost empty now but i have a great idea of what i like...now i can begin the hunt of cigars to refill.......
    I understand being frugal with cigars.. If you spend hard earned money on premium cigars you hate to have them go to waste, especially when you have a limited number of them. With time you will build a collection, and you will be okay with putting one down before you burn your lips. ( smoking it down to a nub )
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    Damn it! You do like the rest of us. Stand out in the freezing cold, or most humid and hot day, and smoke that puppy to the nub. Seriously, if you have to put it out for a short while, blow the smoke out and just rest it in the ashtray. Never, ever snuff a cigar.
    beatnic:
    Damn it! You do like the rest of us. Stand out in the freezing cold, or most humid and hot day, and smoke that puppy to the nub. Seriously, if you have to put it out for a short while, blow the smoke out and just rest it in the ashtray. Never, ever snuff a cigar.
    LOL
  • JudoChinXJudoChinX Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 775
    Yep, chuck it. Maybe focus on vitola's that better suit your time restraints.