Home General Discussion

Cigarttes and cigar smokers.

StrongStyleStrongStyle Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 221
Do you smoke cigarettes? I have to say I would usually bum some from my girlfriend when out and about but after smoking cigars on a semi regular basis I have noticed my taste for them has changed completely. They just taste bad now. Any one have any similar experiences?

Comments

• RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    I can see how that would happen. But I think they're a few BOTL's here that smoke cigarettes.
  • Flash318Flash318 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 49
    I smoke cigarettes I should quit but I just don't have the desire to. Its not like I even get pleasure out of smokeing them. Not like smokeing cigars. I have been smokeing cigars for less than 6 months and before I would smoke at least a pack a day. Now (somkeing 1-5 cigars a day) I smoke less cigarettes.
    I roll my own so the cost isnt enough motovation to quit. I havent bought a pack of cigarettes in over two years and prefer the ones I roll to store bought.
    I have been somkeing cigarettes for almost 20 years, about five years ago I was unable to smoke for almost 6 months but the first oppertunitity I started again Stupid! Right now I am not ready to commit to quiting
    I am glad this thread was started, although not really answering your question, It gives me something to think about
  • 90+ Irishman90+ Irishman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,868
    I can give perspective from a different angle.... I was a 2 pack a day smoker for 6 years.... quit cigs about 3-4 months ago now cold turkey. This past month my cigar habit has gone from 6 or so a month previously, to now 10-14 a WEEK. Had the whole nicotine thing licked... now I'm noticing I'm jonesing again on a somewhat daily basis. Not nearly as bad as when I was smoking cigs, but it is coming back and that is kinda a *** to say the least. The catch is though, I love my gars and really am not interested in cutting back to 3-6 a week or so. Dunno where I'll go from here but I do know that I sure as heck ain't changing my habits for at least the net 4-6 weeks. After that, we will see how I sit and go from there. Just my 2 cents, but figured it would be relevant to the conversation. -- Brett
  • JudoChinXJudoChinX Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 775
    I never smoked as any kind of a routine or anything, but I would have one ever few months while socializing. Even though my exposure to them was so minimal, after having picked up cigars, the very thought makes me feel ill. I can't stand the smell or flavor.
  • CvilleECvilleE Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,177
    I smoke both...my plan is to cut back and ultimently quit cigs and smoke a couple gars a day....but right now the desire to quit isn't there....
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    From what I've read much of the nicotine in cigars is lost during the aging process so it would stand to reason that if your jonesing for nicotine your cigar consumption would increase.
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    StrongStyle:
    Do you smoke cigarettes? I have to say I would usually bum some from my girlfriend when out and about but after smoking cigars on a semi regular basis I have noticed my taste for them has changed completely. They just taste bad now. Any one have any similar experiences?
    Very much so. I still smoke a couple pouches of various roll-your-own cigarettes a year, but not the manufactured varieties. They're just nasty!
  • CvilleECvilleE Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,177
    Rhamlin:
    From what I've read much of the nicotine in cigars is lost during the aging process so it would stand to reason that if your jonesing for nicotine your cigar consumption would increase.
    or your cigarette consumption in between...after some of the sticks I smoke I feel the need to smoke a cig after.....
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,707
    I used to smoke quite a bit starting in college. Never too hardcore, probably about 2 packs a week. I gave it up a couple of times, like a lot of people. Tried smokeless tobacco (dip) for a while, and eventually went back to cigarettes. Since I started smoking cigars, I'm smoking about 5 to 6 a week, and that pretty much satiates my nicotene cravings. Although, every now and then I'll be out with some friends who are smokers and have one of those, "what the f*ck" moments and smoke one.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    Every time I tried a cigarette (I've probably smoked 5 in my life) I feel the draw to have another one. I never liked that so I haven't touched them in years.
    With cigars it's always a journey for me I like the flavor.
    To me cigars are in the same category as tea, coffee, and wine. While I love those things I don't need to have them (shocking I know).
    Its got it's time and place and I enjoy them because I want to not because I have to.

• kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    i highly recommend those who smoke cigarettes and cigars that you stop smocking cigarettes. I cant make you do anything so you all do what you gotta do and i have no actual beef with cigarettes I just know that cigarettes have a way of burning out your palate unlike anything else. once you quit cigarettes you will be able to taste cigars better than you do now. you may say to yourself that you can taste them just fine, but i assure you, you will notice a difference after a few weeks.

...just sayin.
  • GrazuhGrazuh Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 164
    double post.. sorry.
  • GrazuhGrazuh Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 164
    90+ Irishman:
    I can give perspective from a different angle.... I was a 2 pack a day smoker for 6 years.... quit cigs about 3-4 months ago now cold turkey. This past month my cigar habit has gone from 6 or so a month previously, to now 10-14 a WEEK. Had the whole nicotine thing licked... now I'm noticing I'm jonesing again on a somewhat daily basis. Not nearly as bad as when I was smoking cigs, but it is coming back and that is kinda a *** to say the least. The catch is though, I love my gars and really am not interested in cutting back to 3-6 a week or so. Dunno where I'll go from here but I do know that I sure as heck ain't changing my habits for at least the net 4-6 weeks. After that, we will see how I sit and go from there. Just my 2 cents, but figured it would be relevant to the conversation. -- Brett
    I think I read somewhere here that you also inhale your cigars. I'm guessing that increases the nicotine entering your bloodstream by quite a bit.

I was a cigarette smoker off and on (mostly on) for about 14 years. I didn't smoke a ton - about 4 packs a week. The last time I tried to smoke a cigarette was a little over a year ago and it was gross. I couldn't even finish it.

My wife still smokes cigarettes and tries to convince me that it's the same as smoking cigars. I always disagree with her and she responds with an eye roll. I've tried using this analogy: Smoking a cigar is like drinking a good glass or two of wine. Smoking cigarettes is like swigging on a bottle of Mad Dog 20/20 all day.

• TapeWormZTapeWormZ Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 47
    Yea i been smoking for about 10 years now.. an recently cigarettes just taste bad...lol Im new to cigars but lately I've noticed my self trying to smell a cigarette like a cigar lol....fail. Im trying to quit cigarretes.. i don't know how you did it cold turkey. I honestly told myself i would quit starting yesterday. And found myself at a gas station buying a pack. Love the analogy..
  • lcpleellcpleel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,447
    I smoke both and still enjoy both. I guess it depends on what kind of cigarretes you smoke. I can honestly say that I have no problem with taste and have no desire to quit cigarretes.
    lcpleel:
    I can honestly say that I have no problem with taste ...
    told ya youd say that.

...just messin with ya
  • wwesternwwestern Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,386
    I got about 3 packs left in the last carton I bought after that I'm gonna try my best to quit. As far as altering the taste I would agree 100% cigarettes are horrible after a cigar. Sure do hope I can win the fight without resorting to the gum or patches... I refuse to try the pills that have side affects of homocidal thoughts about your family.
  • lcpleellcpleel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,447
    kuzi16:
    lcpleel:
    told ya youd say that.

...just messin with ya
    LOL Hows that new job @ PsychicNetwork?
    lcpleel:
    kuzi16:
    lcpleel:
    told ya youd say that.

...just messin with ya
    LOL Hows that new job @ PsychicNetwork?
    i can only speak from experience.
    but like i said... I cant tell you how to enjoy your life. you do what you gotta do