Home General Discussion

Untouchable Ten - Gurkha Crest

bigmatt72bigmatt72 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 89
I may be fairly new to cigars and I ordered the untouchable ten sampler, however I found myself truly enjoying the Rocky Patel Decade, both Cohibas, LHC Core, MOW Armada was excellent (I don't know if I'd pay that much for it for an everyday smoke), Padilla Miami, the others were good in comparison maybe not as good as the others, then it came time to smoke the Gurkha Crest and I guess I just don't get it. I don't understand what makes this cigar so great. I even managed to smoke out an experienced cigar smoker with it. Is it like infused with something really expensive that i just can't taste? I think the $20 price point on it baffles me even more. Could someone shed some light on this? Am I just missing something?

Comments

• docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    It's a Gurkha. That's why it is expensive. The cigars have to be priced to pay for the packaging, in typical Gurkha fashion. I'd pretty much rather smoke a fake Mexican beach Coheeba filled with newspaper and dirt than smoke a Gurkha cigar 9 times out of 10. Basically the brand feeds off of the internet n00b machine. Two of my local B&M's are nationally known, well regarded, large shops (one of them is included in the unlucky 13 Tat Wolfman shops this year, etc. and the other is Old Virginia Tobacco Co...) and neither of them carry Gurkha for this very reason. Piss-poor blends, tacky gimmicks, and over the top/hideous packaging. Welcome to Gurkha.
  • drpepperdudedrpepperdude Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 298
    bigmatt72:
    I may be fairly new to cigars and I ordered the untouchable ten sampler, however I found myself truly enjoying the Rocky Patel Decade, both Cohibas, LHC Core, MOW Armada was excellent (I don't know if I'd pay that much for it for an everyday smoke), Padilla Miami, the others were good in comparison maybe not as good as the others, then it came time to smoke the Gurkha Crest and I guess I just don't get it. I don't understand what makes this cigar so great. I even managed to smoke out an experienced cigar smoker with it. Is it like infused with something really expensive that i just can't taste? I think the $20 price point on it baffles me even more. Could someone shed some light on this? Am I just missing something?

Hey there,

Sorry about your disappointment at the Gurkha Crest.

I wouldn't worry about it so much; there are many different kinds of cigars and blends and flavors for all the different taste buds and palates we all have. The Gurkha Crest can be had for $4 right here on this website, so you didn't really fail to enjoy a $20 cigar.

The fact you enjoyed all those other cigars and really just had the one you didn't "get" is a good thing. Not all cigars are going to do it for you.

I've smoked a lot of Gurkha's, but the ones that I really like the most are the Gurkha Signature 1887 Red (mild to medium connecticut with some interesting tobacco in them) and the Grand Age which is a cameroon wrapper so it's a little on the sweet side if you are looking for something different. If you would like to try them, PM me your addy and I will gift some to you.

Just keep on trying different samplers and discover what you like and don't like.

This forum is full of extremely opinionated and passionate people - some of whom easily dismiss brands they don't like and strongly push what they do like; as if what we all enjoy smoking is some sort of contest or as if there is a "right" or "wrong" cigar to enjoy.

Make up your own mind and be wary of the pessimism towards some brands and over-glorification of others.

Welcome to the forums!

• MTuccelliMTuccelli Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,587
    drpepperdude:
    bigmatt72:

Hey there,

I wouldn't worry about it so much; there are many different kinds of cigars and blends and flavors for all the different taste buds and palates we all have. The Gurkha Crest can be had for $4 right here on this website, so you didn't really fail to enjoy a $20 cigar.

The fact you enjoyed all those other cigars and really just had the one you didn't "get" is a good thing. Not all cigars are going to do it for you.

I've smoked a lot of Gurkha's, but the ones that I really like the most are the Gurkha Signature 1887 Red (mild to medium connecticut with some interesting tobacco in them) and the Grand Age which is a cameroon wrapper so it's a little on the sweet side if you are looking for something different. If you would like to try them, PM me your addy and I will gift some to you.

Just keep on trying different samplers and discover what you like and don't like.

This forum is full of extremely opinionated and passionate people - some of whom easily dismiss brands they don't like and strongly push what they do like; as if what we all enjoy smoking is some sort of contest or as if there is a "right" or "wrong" cigar to enjoy.

Make up your own mind and be wary of the pessimism towards some brands and over-glorification of others.

Welcome to the forums!

+1 and welcome to the forum. I personally enjoy the Gurkha Regent, Symphony, Cuban Legacy and Sherpa Cafe. drpepperdude is correct in what he says. Have fun and try them all cause you will learn that what others think are horrible may in fact become a favorite.

• Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    drpepperdude:
    bigmatt72:

Welcome to the forums!

This sounds like excellent advice, and welcome!

I must say, however, that Gurkha's seem to be hit or miss, and that seems to happen even within any line of their cigars. Some have been fine, then others, same label, are not. I just smoked (tried, anyway) a Gurkha beast the other night, lit well, within 5 minutes it was swelling and the wrapper just split and fell apart. Very frustrating.

Come to think of it, they've certainly had more than their fair share of "too tight" & "unravelled". On the other hand, the Titans that I've had, the Empire V, Liga C-10, have been memorable smokes. (in a good way) Well, I'm rambling, it's early, all I have left is; for the price they're asking, you'd expect a LOT better quality control.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    there is more to the gurkha price tag than packaging. part of it is how the company works. Gurkha does not own fields that i know of. they do not own factories that i know of. the people at gurkha go out and find rare or small batch tobacco that is usually too small a batch for other factories to use and have a full run. they then blend it and hire a factory to roll it and then sell it as a rare cigar. for the blends that stick around (like the regent) they have a supply of tobacco they can keep consistant.

this way of doing things is expensive, and it does produce some unique cigars. "unique" and "good" arent always the same thing, but i cant tell you what you will and wont like.
    i just know that they dont produce many cigars that i like anymore.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    kuzi16:
    there is more to the gurkha price tag than packaging. part of it is how the company works. Gurkha does not own fields that i know of. they do not own factories that i know of. the people at gurkha go out and find rare or small batch tobacco that is usually too small a batch for other factories to use and have a full run. they then blend it and hire a factory to roll it and then sell it as a rare cigar. for the blends that stick around (like the regent) they have a supply of tobacco they can keep consistant.

this way of doing things is expensive, and it does produce some unique cigars. "unique" and "good" arent always the same thing, but i cant tell you what you will and wont like.
    i just know that they dont produce many cigars that i like anymore.
    I think Gurkha has placed themselves in an interesting spot business wise.
    From what I can see on the internet an in shops it would seem Gurkha attempts to play to two audiences the guy who's trying to impress with fancy high end luxury items, and the guy who's trying to impersonate the guy with the high end luxury items.

I don't see this as a bad thing however. Gurkha have carved out a niche with this something for everyone approach and I don't see that demographic changing anytime soon.

• denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    +1 with Stephen. I must admit though, there are some good Gurkha blends out there. Beauty and Legend are tasty as are Black Dragon and Park Ave.
  • KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    dennisking:
    +1 with Stephen. I must admit though, there are some good Gurkha blends out there. Beauty and Legend are tasty as are Black Dragon and Park Ave.

I agree on the Legend and Black Dragon. I have about 12 more Gurkha Legend Perfectos which is a smoke I really like. The Black Dragon Robusto (of which I have one left) is a nice smoke as well (IMHO). As others have said before, have fun & try em. You will eventually find out what your favorites are. For me I have become a Huge fan of almost antyihng Fuente and I like a lot of Alec Bradley smokes (esp. The Tempus).
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    There has not been a Gurkha that I hated.. but there are several that I won't search out as a must have. ( Regent, Micro, Park Ave,) I recently had mt first Titan that was three years old and I enjoyed very much. At one time I really loved the Symphony, Blue Steel, Legend, and Sherpa ( a very affordable stick ) and will re-visit them. I still have many Gurkhas in my humidor and expect them to deliver a positive experience. The Black Dragon ( new blend of course ) is one that I would buy in bulk.
    I have found that every brand has something that will appeal to me.
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    FYI to OP - none of those you listed were "everyday cigars" - you're smoking some very fine premiums there :)
  • bigmatt72bigmatt72 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 89
    xmacro:
    FYI to OP - none of those you listed were "everyday cigars" - you're smoking some very fine premiums there :)
    I've been smoking premiums everyday sometimes more than one in a day since I've been able to get these at what I think is a low price to what I used to pay before I found cigar.com samplers. I probably need to find some everyday cigars.
  • RCY CigarsRCY Cigars Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,346
    MTuccelli:
    drpepperdude:
    bigmatt72:

Hey there,

Welcome to the forums!

+1 and welcome to the forum. I personally enjoy the Gurkha Regent, Symphony, Cuban Legacy and Sherpa Cafe. drpepperdude is correct in what he says. Have fun and try them all cause you will learn that what others think are horrible may in fact become a favorite.

+2 Everyone's palate is different my friend. I don't agree with the price myself. But the Gurkha Crest is by far one of my morning smokes every once in a while. Samplers are a good why to go. That's how I got a lot of premium cigars.
    Photobucket

• 90+ Irishman90+ Irishman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,868
    RCY Cigars:
    MTuccelli:
    drpepperdude:
    bigmatt72:

Hey there,

Welcome to the forums!

+2 Everyone's palate is different my friend. I don't agree with the price myself. But the Gurkha Crest is by far one of my morning smokes every once in a while. Samplers are a good why to go. That's how I got a lot of premium cigars.
    Photobucket

Perfectly said my friend.... We all have different palates, just enjoy what you enjoy and we should all be grateful that more people are getting into the hobby regardless of what they enjoy smoking :)