Home General Discussion

Lighting up that special cigar

2»

Comments

• KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    BigT06:
    I smoked a Cohiba Black gigante right after my wedding... I gave 1 to my dad (who performed the ceremony), and I am saving the last 1 for my 5 yr wedding anniversary... still got a couple years for that one...
    Great stick, I was graciously bombed with one of these. Great stick, good flavor and nice and oily wrapper.
  • BigT06BigT06 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,899
    Krieg:
    BigT06:
    I smoked a Cohiba Black gigante right after my wedding... I gave 1 to my dad (who performed the ceremony), and I am saving the last 1 for my 5 yr wedding anniversary... still got a couple years for that one...
    Great stick, I was graciously bombed with one of these. Great stick, good flavor and nice and oily wrapper.
    I agree. The Gigante is def my favorite vitola in the blend... which is odd because I don't smoke a lot of really large cigars. I enjoy them when I do, I just don't have that kind of time usually... plus I just love coronas; the way they burn, the concentration of the flavor, and the fact that you get more wrapper to filler ratio...

wow. I got way off point there... lol

but yes, the Cohiba Black is a phenomenal cigar.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    I did have some special occasion cigars, but I found too many special occasions. Dang it!
  • ctschirgictschirgi Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 63
    I had an Ashton VSG purchased in 2009 and well seasoned by two trips across the Pacific, three times through the Panama Canal and quite a few miles logged in between. My goal was to baby it for ten years or so and smoke it at retirement from the CG. Pulling the dumbest move ever, I flew with it in my small travel humidor with humi-care gel in an open jar in my suitcase. Bottom line, gel came out, cigar ruined and I'll I had to do was close the jar. Lesson learned, but still sad at losing a stick with so much sentimental value.
  • grannejagranneja Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 382
    Rough story cts, rough story.
  • The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    ctschirgi:
    I had an Ashton VSG purchased in 2009 and well seasoned by two trips across the Pacific, three times through the Panama Canal and quite a few miles logged in between. My goal was to baby it for ten years or so and smoke it at retirement from the CG. Pulling the dumbest move ever, I flew with it in my small travel humidor with humi-care gel in an open jar in my suitcase. Bottom line, gel came out, cigar ruined and I'll I had to do was close the jar. Lesson learned, but still sad at losing a stick with so much sentimental value.
    I am sorry to hear that man!! The humipacks or boveda pack work great for travel humidors, no spill concerns. Been really wantin to try beads as I think they do a better job reducing humidity for those high humidity climates.
  • danielruasdanielruas Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 778
    I have a very important business meeting tuesday morning. If all goes well I move into the getting funds together stage and may be buying my own business. If that all works out I will be smoking something very special, I've got a few cigars I've been saving the only hard part will be deciding which to smoke.
    danielruas:
    I have a very important business meeting tuesday morning. If all goes well I move into the getting funds together stage and may be buying my own business. If that all works out I will be smoking something very special, I've got a few cigars I've been saving the only hard part will be deciding which to smoke.
    All of em. Morning, noon, night, latenight... so 4 of em, anyways... lol.
  • HaybletHayblet Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,400
    Only "super rare" I have would be an AVO LE 05' that I will either smoke my wedding night or the night I propose, not sure yet. Other than that one don't really have anything super special, was thinking of saving the PJ 40th I have for my 40th, but that's 9 years away...
  • MonteWhiteMonteWhite Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 200
    Here's something I'm curious about. I don't smoke those super expensive sticks, simply because they are in fact expensive. Opus X, VSG, GOF, etc. But just how much better are these special occasion cigars than your other cigars that you still thoroughly enjoy such as MOW, San Lotano, EPC, Diesel, or Tat Havana VI? Is it really so night and day that makes them obviously set aside for special occasions? What do you guys think?
  • 415415 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 951
    hmmm... i guess i would have to think twice befor lighting up my sand shark or the don carlos shark.

everything else i wouldnt give a second thought to lighting up tomorrow
  • lcpleellcpleel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,447
    Sell me your Don Carlos shark!!!!
  • MarkerMarker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,524
    The 2009 Oliva V maduro I have lit right now. The perfect end to a great day.
  • 415415 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 951
    lcpleel:
    Sell me your Don Carlos shark!!!!
    lol. sorry. i will be smoking it sometime in the next year or so. but if i do find another ill let you know
  • RCY CigarsRCY Cigars Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,346
    I guess I can add my two cents to this thread. I have a special cigar. I had a Oliva Serie V maduro from 2008 that I smoked after a long day at work. Thing is, before smoking that cigar, I didn't look at having a cigar on a special day. I would smoke a premium cigar whenever I felt like. Even gave them away as gifts. Only time I did't was if the cigar is a limited edition or a hard to find cigar. While I was smoking the cigar, I finally had that wow factor that some of you guys talk about. Sad thing is, the cigar was gifted to me. So I went on a search for that cigar and it's year. I must have had an angel looking over me. Because FTG decided to off load some in a trade. He sent me three of them from 2008 and 2010 each. I'm real thankful for that and now I have 6 of them. I found a box from 2008 about a month ago. But waited to long to puchase them. So, for now I have the three I got from FTG along with three from 2010. FTG, your the man.......
  • ltherronltherron Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 60
    Smoked one I had been saving for a special occasion and thought I would share. A few years ago i was in a motorcycle wreck resulting in a broken back, shattered femur, and a few other injuries. The surgeon did wonders in putting me back together and even gave me some internal aftermarket parts. Needless to say my fitness level plummeted afterwords and has never been quite the same. I could still run when I had to but I just could not run the times I could before. 2 months ago I set a goal to run a 5k in under 26 min and 2 miles in under 15min before October. I got the 5k knocked out last week and this morning got 2 miles in 14.14.

I can say that I had a little extra motivation as the “special cigar” was the only one I had left with me and I was not going to let myself smoke it until I met the goal. I have set some new goals for October and I have a MOW Armada on its way for when I get there
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    ltherron:
    Smoked one I had been saving for a special occasion and thought I would share. A few years ago i was in a motorcycle wreck resulting in a broken back, shattered femur, and a few other injuries. The surgeon did wonders in putting me back together and even gave me some internal aftermarket parts. Needless to say my fitness level plummeted afterwords and has never been quite the same. I could still run when I had to but I just could not run the times I could before. 2 months ago I set a goal to run a 5k in under 26 min and 2 miles in under 15min before October. I got the 5k knocked out last week and this morning got 2 miles in 14.14.

I can say that I had a little extra motivation as the “special cigar” was the only one I had left with me and I was not going to let myself smoke it until I met the goal. I have set some new goals for October and I have a MOW Armada on its way for when I get there
    That's a great story, You're gonna love the Armada. Nice avatar btw.
    MonteWhite:
    Here's something I'm curious about. I don't smoke those super expensive sticks, simply because they are in fact expensive. Opus X, VSG, GOF, etc. But just how much better are these special occasion cigars than your other cigars that you still thoroughly enjoy such as MOW, San Lotano, EPC, Diesel, or Tat Havana VI? Is it really so night and day that makes them obviously set aside for special occasions? What do you guys think?
    It's all about the enjoyment factor... typically if you light up a $15-20 cigar, you will take more time and pay more attention to it, dedicating the experience to solely the cigar.

When a cigar like that is smoked after a special occasion, it elevates the experience even more, because you are already in a good mindset.

that being said, there are great cigars (like the ones you mentioned) that can be had for less than $7-8 bucks... so it's really just personal preference. I've never had an Opus X personally, so I can't speak for them or the GOD, but I can say that the Ashton VSG is surely one of the best full bodied smokes I've ever enjoyed.
  • The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    BigT06:
    MonteWhite:
    It's all about the enjoyment factor... typically if you light up a $15-20 cigar, you will take more time and pay more attention to it, dedicating the experience to solely the cigar.

When a cigar like that is smoked after a special occasion, it elevates the experience even more, because you are already in a good mindset.

that being said, there are great cigars (like the ones you mentioned) that can be had for less than $7-8 bucks... so it's really just personal preference. I've never had an Opus X personally, so I can't speak for them or the GOD, but I can say that the Ashton VSG is surely one of the best full bodied smokes I've ever enjoyed.
    I agree with the whole mindset and focus factor. I'd also like to throw in that sometimes I find myself creating unrealistic expectations from the more expensive cigars, Wanting them to just blow me away, when they dont as was the case with a La Aurora Emerald I recently smoked, I find myself let down. Now it was a good cigar, it just didnt meet the high benchmark I set. I got them at about half of retail, so it wasnt a total disappointment. Maybe I should of accompanied it with a favorite wine or smoked it earlier in the day. IDK... but I do know some times, not often, I hit a serendipitous cigar and cost usually isnt the main contributing factor.