Home General Discussion

hydrometer

J.S.J.S. Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 751
So a couple of days ago I noticed that the RH in my small humi was slowly falling. After adding some PG it continued to fall. So I did a salt test. after 24 hrs. it was reading 62% so I recalibrated and left it for 4 more hrs. Everything looked good, reading 75. So I put it back into the humi. This morning I opened it to grab a smoke and notice the RH was at 92! I was about to have kittens until I noticed that the temp read 174! I think I will get a new battery. lol

Comments

• Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,971
    that's weird, must be a battery issue.  I would reset the humi and then re-salt test it
  • The SniperThe Sniper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,910
    I think I would have pissed myself! LOL

• Gurkha Man!Gurkha Man! Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 232
    That's awesome
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    Your hygrometer may be broke

• jj20030jj20030 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,448
    well, decided to check all mine with the salt test, i have 5 of the accu-rite a bunch talked me into buying from walmart awhile back, and 1 hygro-set round one like these , just put them in the bag a couple hours ago and the square ones read 61, 62, 63, 65 and 69 and the round one reads 70, the round one can be calibrated and the others cant, ill check them in the morning but what do i do it these dont change? batteries are all new,can i just add/subtract to use them etc? throw away and what are the best everyones had luck with? imageimage
  • The SniperThe Sniper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,910
    My suggestion is you put a piece of masking tape on the square ones, with the percentage and degrees they are off written on the tape in Sharpie. That way you dont have to try to remember which one was how far off from correct.

• AJGARLETTAJGARLETT Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 648
    I have several Caliber III's and they are all within 2% of eachother, no calibration needed. ...I wont use any other hygro.
  • jj20030jj20030 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,448
    humidity is coming up ill check them tomorrow,lol
  • J.S.J.S. Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 751
    Xikar makes good ones. They have a lifetime warranty. If changing the battery does not work I will be sending mine in. You can find their newest model online elsewhere for 20.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    xmacro:
    Your hygrometer may be broke

exactly
    a hygrometer measures humidity.
    a hydrometer measures specific gravity in liquids.

if your Hydrometer is broken you can calibrate it by filling a tall cylinder with distilled water and placing the ball of the hydrometer into it until it is neutrally buoyant. the point where the water line hits is the 1.000 mark.

if your hygrometer is off you can calibrate by using the salt test. the ratio of salt to water is 4 parts salt to 1 part water. it should be a paste like consistency. in a sealed, dark environment, after 72 hours or so the reading should be exactly 75% rh. if it is not you can adjust or mark how far it is off.
    I don't think that it would be broken with the temp reading like it is. I am more inclined to think that it is a battery issue. I ran to a couple of places to try to pick one up but it looks like I will have to make a trip to Radio Shack. I will let you all know the outcome.
    OK, the update I said I would provide. Changed the battery today the new salt test is about 12 hrs in and it is reading 73% RH. The temp number is down so everything looks good.