Home General Discussion

Exploding Gurkha......

KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 908
So I'm enjoying a Titan last evening, things are going fine, needed a minor touch-up and the end of the first 1/3, no big deal.
Approaching the midway point, I notice the stick is starting to swell, sort of like a hot dog in the BBQ, for about 1+ inch past the cherry. I'm kinda checking it out, somewhat puzzled, and then "SNAP!" - I mean, it was like a tiny fire cracker, the wrapper pops open with a 1 inch tear

Then it really started swelling up - I wrestl4ed with it, it still smoked OK, but I had to give up by the fijnal 1/3.

What happened?
Was I smoking too fast?
Bad roll job?
Thanks

Comments

• stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    I think it's typically humidity that does that.

• KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 908
    You mean humidity in the air?
    It was foggy, and I was smoking outside.
    I had dry boxed this Titan, like I always do for that stick..........hmmm
    ,br>
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    I had the same thing happen with a Cohiba a few weeks ago, by the time I got to the last 1/3 I was having to hold it together.
  • edelrionycedelrionyc Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 312
    Was this a Gurkha Titan or Gurkha Titan II? It's basically the same cigar but the Titan II didn't pass inspection to go out so it was sold as Seconds. I had a bit of a swelling and cracking of the wrapper two weeks ago and it must be due to poor construction. It happened while i spoked a Titan II. How did you get your Titan?
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    edelrionyc:
    Was this a Gurkha Titan or Gurkha Titan II? It's basically the same cigar but the Titan II didn't pass inspection to go out so it was sold as Seconds. I had a bit of a swelling and cracking of the wrapper two weeks ago and it must be due to poor construction. It happened while i spoked a Titan II. How did you get your Titan?
    Where did you get that? links?

• The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    KingoftheCove:
    You mean humidity in the air?
    It was foggy, and I was smoking outside.
    I had dry boxed this Titan, like I always do for that stick..........hmmm
    ,br>
    Not usually from outside conditions, its from an overhumidified stick, As the cigar got hot the humidity within the cigar causes the cigar to expand and swell
  • VulchorVulchor Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,176
    Happens to all Gurkhas...luckily many of us dont have the problem since we cant stomach the brand:).....lol, sorry man couldnt resist with my least favorite brand.....sucks a$$ to lose a good size stick like that though.
    It was a regular Titan.
    I figured it might have something to do with humidity - no other explanation really that I can think of.
    My humi stays at 65/66, AND I dry boxed this stick 24 hrs......maybe it needs longer.....or.....
    maybe my dry box isn't a dry box at all!
    With all the fog and natural humidity in the air (I'm close to the ocean - 500ft or so) - maybe my stick is picking UP humidity in my "dry box"?? (it's a small cheapo 20ct humi you get with a sampler pack, etc.)

Or it's simply a random event, which is what I'm leaning towards......not gonna worry until it happens one or two more times, especially if it happens with other sticks.

Vulchor:
    Happens to all Gurkhas...luckily many of us dont have the problem since we cant stomach the brand:).....lol, sorry man couldnt resist with my least favorite brand.....sucks a$$ to lose a good size stick like that though.
    ha! that's a good one - I really only have experience with the Titan, actually do not own any other Gurkhas.........this was the first time it happened........although I had one other Titan that went south on me earlier in the year (was too moist).......but since I've been dry boxing them...... no issues..... until last night that is...............

Vulchor:
    Yep every single one ever made explodes,,,, The guy on the band is a reprensentation of someone who wants their money back.. LOL cmon,,I'd rather smoke a gurkha than many other brands..
  • Gurkha Man!Gurkha Man! Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 232
    these things happen no one is perfect but hey it must have been a fun sight in the end right?
  • The SniperThe Sniper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,910
    stephen_hannibal:
    I think it's typically humidity that does that.

+1. We have some pretty wild humidity here in Missouri... often very high in the summer, and very low in the winter. Ive noticed when the humidity is seriously out of whack with the 68-70% RH I keep my humidors at, I tend to have burn issues - but Ive never had one EXPLODE on me! Thats a new one.

Have never had a burn issue with a Titan OR a Titan II, but I HAVE had trouble with the majority of the Gurkha products Ive tried - which is why I generally dont purchase them anymore.

• fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    I would attribute it to the fact that you had dry boxed the stick and then exposed it to very high humidity. As you drew the super moist air into the filler it swelled it and with heat applied it expanded more. JMO
  • MTuccelliMTuccelli Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,587
    Wow I have never had this happen to me with any of the Gurkhas I smoke. I do however have this happen ever time i burn a Morrow Castle.
  • Knoxca1Knoxca1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 147
    I had the same thing happen with my first two MOW Puros. I almost gave up on that line but thought I would give it another go and havent had an issue since. They were in the humidor with other sticks that smoked fine and was smoked in two different locations. It was pretty weird, it bulged up right next to the band and then there was loud pop when the wrapper split. I took a picture of it, I'll have to see if I still have it.
    fla-gypsy:
    I would attribute it to the fact that you had dry boxed the stick and then exposed it to very high humidity. As you drew the super moist air into the filler it swelled it and with heat applied it expanded more. JMO
    ahh...you might be on to something!
    I remember, with this stick, that I took it out of the dry box, unwrapped it, looked at it, gave it a quick sniff, clipped it, and walked into the back yard and fired it up. About 3 or 4 minutes max from dry box to flame.
    Typically I let them (Black Bears, Titans, GH Vintage 2002s) sit for at least 20 or 30 minutes after I take them out of the dry box.
    That may have been the cause.........or not.
    Sounds plausible though........

• kaelariakaelaria Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 572
    It was a Ball-Park Gurkha :)
  • The SniperThe Sniper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,910
    kaelaria:
    Plumped when you cooked it. LOL

kaelaria:
    Thats funny
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    fla-gypsy:
    I'd say this is it.... Dry boxing may not always be the answer to every smoking situation... If you dried it out and then it hit really humid air that can cause it... It also could have just been a flaw in the cigar rolling... My advice... SMOKE ANOTHER ONE!
  • Gurkha Man!Gurkha Man! Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 232
    i say when in doubt smoke 2 or 3 or 4 more just to see what you for sure think!
  • BigT06BigT06 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,899
    Lasabar:
    fla-gypsy:
    I'd say this is it.... Dry boxing may not always be the answer to every smoking situation... If you dried it out and then it hit really humid air that can cause it... It also could have just been a flaw in the cigar rolling... My advice... SMOKE ANOTHER ONE!
    BINGO! Very sound advice indeed.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    edelrionyc:
    I want to know where you got this info? The Titan and Titan 2 are nothing alike from what I understand. The Titan uses a Costa Rican Maduro wrapper and the Titan II uses a Domican Maduro Wrapper. Size is different too. 6.2 x 56 as opposed to a 7ish X 52ish size. I don't remember exact sizes though. Blend is supposed to be different too. The Titan II was limited. I won't say it was better or worse but I remember being able to get a box of 10 for $100 I think. I still have a few of each left with the Titans having 3+ years on them.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    i have never had a gurkha explode on me.
    the conditions were right for a splitting wrapper though.
    the low humidity of the wrapper due to the dry boxing, and the high humidity of the ambient air can combine to make a wrapper explode like that... especially if you smoke on the fast side.

it is easy to pile on gurkha when something like this happens. some of it may be construction but if this exact same thing happened to a DPG blue everyone would say it must be a dud or the humidity or a combo of both.
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    fla-gypsy:
    I was thinking this same thing when you mentioned you dry boxed it and then smoked in the fog. Although living in SC your gonna seriously limit your smoking days if you only wait till sunny days. haha. So, if its never happened before and you've been smoking pretty regularly for a little while now, I would ease up on the use of the dry box like Lassy said, but all in all I wouldn't sweat it.
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,971
    KingoftheCove:
    So I'm enjoying a Titan last evening, things are going fine, needed a minor touch-up and the end of the first 1/3, no big deal.
    Approaching the midway point, I notice the stick is starting to swell, sort of like a hot dog in the BBQ, for about 1+ inch past the cherry. I'm kinda checking it out, somewhat puzzled, and then "SNAP!" - I mean, it was like a tiny fire cracker, the wrapper pops open with a 1 inch tear

Then it really started swelling up - I wrestl4ed with it, it still smoked OK, but I had to give up by the fijnal 1/3.

What happened?
    Was I smoking too fast?
    Bad roll job?
    Thanks
    ==>WOW, that's the coolest thing I've ever heard! All Gurks should be torched
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    Vulchor:
    lol... funny guy. I really only like a few of their blends but I haven't had this happen to any gurkhas actually. I've had burn issues with some of them but never exploding.