Home General Discussion

cigars deconstructed

Stryker808Stryker808 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 269
Sorry if this is a repost, I couldn't find anything on a search. I recently saw the Sam Adams beer deconstructed 12 pack, which they basically took a 5 hop beer and made 5 individual beers each with one of the hops found in the original IPA. They packaged it together so you could taste each of the components separately and then the original beer with everything put together. I think its a great idea, and would like to see this applied to cigars. I did see something similar at a Davidoff tasting several years ago, where they had a little 4 pack with 1 original cigar, then one cigar each made completely of the filler, one with all binder leaves, and the last with all wrapper leaves. Therefore you can taste all the components separately. However, they were only giving them to reps and no the general attending public. Does anyone know if any other cigar makers do this, and if so are they available to the general public? Ive never been to any of the factory tours, but do they have anything like this down there. Id love to try something like this. I think it would be popular if some makers (AJF, Tats, LFD, etc) did a little 4 pack deconstructed with some brands.

Comments

• docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    I know that Jose Blanco (formerly of La Aurora) has hosted seminars considered to be some of the most informative around, where something similar was done. At IPCPR I think he did a tasting seminar where a single cigar had a bunch of wrappers, in sections, allowing the smoker to taste the different wrappers, while being guided through the cigar by Blanco. I have also heard about the tastings Davidoff does, which sound phenomenal.
  • Stryker808Stryker808 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 269
    That single cigar with several wrappers sounds cool.....probably more interesting that a typical barbor pole that blends the flavors. Id really like to see something like this more readily available. I did also try the Viaje 50/50 which change the filler tobacco half way through. Wasn't the best smoke, but it did hold my interest and there was a definite change in profile from front to back. Maybe Alex can toss that idea around with the guys from Studio Tobac. They are supposed to be the cutting edge of cigar innovation.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    the Davidoff/Kelner tasting is available to the public. they are just hard to come by because they have to be lead by a Davidoff trained rep. if you have a Davidoff appointed merchant in your area, ask about them. it isnt unheard of, especially if they are holding an event in your local B&M.
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    La Aroma De Cuba has a cigar with a different wrapper on top than on the bottom.
    I purchased 3 AF 585 Flor Finas. All have the same filler (dominican) with different wrappers (Cameroon, Maduro, and Candella. Lit all three at once. Interesting experience.