Home General Discussion

Oh, how I hate UPS.

JudoChinXJudoChinX Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 775
So, still waiting on my box of Est. 1844's. They've been in the mail since July 29th with delivery supposed to happen last Friday. It was out for delivery, but never showed up. I contacted their support (I know, it was an act of desperation that didn't really get me anywhere), and they assured me that the package would show up on Monday... or Tuesday at the absolute latest. They told me to contact them if that wasn't the case. Since tracking hadn't updated for a bit, the last thing I saw was that it should have been delivered on Friday, but nothing since then. Check out my updated tracking information. Looks like my beloved package went on a road trip to the West Coast:

link to tracking...

Someone on the board mentioned that it might be possible to have cigar.com use only USPS for my packages (at a small additional fee), so I've emailed The Beard to see what he can work out.

Thanks for letting me vent. I invite you all to share your shipping horror stories with everyone!

Comments

• grannejagranneja Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 382
    Hmm, never had that problem. (Knock on wood). I have had success catching the trucks at their dispatch point if you know the driver or if you set it up with customer service. You might try this if they are not dropping without signatures.
    Good luck getting your package Judo.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    I only about 2hrs form ccom so I get everything next day.
    The one time I had a problem was with USPS the package went to the processing center 20mins from my house out for delivery... next day delivered in Louisiana.
    I went to the post and asked them what was going down the lady said the box was lost and wasn't coming back. This was on a Friday... on Tuesday it shows up on my door step.

• JudoChinXJudoChinX Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 775
    granneja:
    Hmm, never had that problem. (Knock on wood). I have had success catching the trucks at their dispatch point if you know the driver or if you set it up with customer service. You might try this if they are not dropping without signatures.
    Good luck getting your package Judo.
    My drivers are very very good about not requiring a signature. ;) Not an issue though. Never had a package stolen. This thread is going to be a ton of people jinxing themselves. *pounds on wood*
    stephen_hannibal:
    The one time I had a problem was with USPS the package went to the processing center 20mins from my house out for delivery... next day delivered in Louisiana.
    I went to the post and asked them what was going down the lady said the box was lost and wasn't coming back. This was on a Friday... on Tuesday it shows up on my door step.

How does that sort of thing happen? Like, each box is labeled with its destination, right? Don't the boxes need to be scanned or something to ensure that they're actually going to the right place?
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    JudoChinX:
    stephen_hannibal:

How does that sort of thing happen? Like, each box is labeled with its destination, right? Don't the boxes need to be scanned or something to ensure that they're actually going to the right place?
    I have no idea they are all bar-coded so I'm not sure where the mix up is.
    My theory is it got tagged for a random safety inspection. LOL

stephen_hannibal:
    JudoChinX:
    stephen_hannibal:

I have no idea they are all bar-coded so I'm not sure where the mix up is.
    My theory is it got tagged for a random safety inspection. LOL

I can picture the drivers now... "Do these cigars taste safe enough for you?"
  • skweekzskweekz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,218
    I'll play the part of FanBoy for UPS on this one. I can practically set a watch by the UPS guy's delivery. It's always next day between 4 and 5pm, without fail. USPS, on the other hand, comes down to when they feel like bringing it around. I've had a package sitting in the mail truck right outside my house that the mailman "forgot" to get out and put it on my porch. The tracking info even said it was delivered. I chalk it up to "Government efficiency."
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    stephen_hannibal:

"Give it up Dad...Piggy ain't coming back!" - Bart Simpson
  • jj20030jj20030 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,448
    had one sent to me from caili. to texas once and vacationed in puerto rico before getting to me,, too bad they didnt add som isom's in there for me , lol
    jj20030:
    had one sent to me from caili. to texas once and vacationed in puerto rico before getting to me,, too bad they didnt add som isom's in there for me , lol
    You've officially beat me. If that were my shipment, it would have seen more of the world than I which is kind of sad.
    Oh, and Tim got back with me and helped me out with this entirely. Sounds like I won't be complaining about this for too much longer.
  • jsnakejsnake Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,037
    skweekz:
    I'll play the part of FanBoy for UPS on this one. I can practically set a watch by the UPS guy's delivery. It's always next day between 4 and 5pm, without fail. USPS, on the other hand, comes down to when they feel like bringing it around. I've had a package sitting in the mail truck right outside my house that the mailman "forgot" to get out and put it on my porch. The tracking info even said it was delivered. I chalk it up to "Government efficiency."
    I have this happen all the time. We live in a rural area and when our regular driver is off we get some jack a$$ guy. Jerk won't pick up mail when you leave it out with the flag up. If he is working the package always says delivered but I never get it until the regular driver shows up because he is too freaking lazy to get out of the truck and bring it to my porch. I even had a package that was sent from Indiana, arrived in Kansas City, shipped back to Indiana, and finally sent back to KC for delivery. And we wonder why the USPS is a money sucking failure.
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    I agree that USPS is a flop but bureaucracies are like that. As for the BOTLs who have good experiences with UPS, let me tell you a lot has to do with where you live. In my area, although they won't admit it, UPS only does residential deliveries on Thursday. And they only get to my neighborhood at around 5:30 - 6:00pm. I've seen numerous instances where their tracking info shows the package arrived at their warehouse - the last one before it gets put on the truck to my house - on a Friday but it still doesn't get delivered to me until the following Thursday. I never have this problem with priority mail.

I personally believe it's all computer-generated cost efficiency that drives their system. I think their delivery routes and schedules are dependent on historic demand for any given area.
  • BombayBombay Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,207
    jlmarta:
    I agree that USPS is a flop but bureaucracies are like that. As for the BOTLs who have good experiences with UPS, let me tell you a lot has to do with where you live. In my area, although they won't admit it, UPS only does residential deliveries on Thursday. And they only get to my neighborhood at around 5:30 - 6:00pm. I've seen numerous instances where their tracking info shows the package arrived at their warehouse - the last one before it gets put on the truck to my house - on a Friday but it still doesn't get delivered to me until the following Thursday. I never have this problem with priority mail.

I personally believe it's all computer-generated cost efficiency that drives their system. I think their delivery routes and schedules are dependent on historic demand for any given area.
    Where at in No Cal.? Live there myself and considering the amount of UPS Warehouses in the area I am suprised they would only deliver on one day of the week.
    I live in Yuba City. How about you?
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    JudoChinX:
    Oh, and Tim got back with me and helped me out with this entirely. Sounds like I won't be complaining about this for too much longer.
    haha, right on man, yeah the beard knows magic and can solve any cigar related problem. I email order, he always ships USPS and I couldn't be happier. I'm roughly 3000 miles away from Ccom and I get my orders like clockwork the evening on the 2nd day. Ok sometimes if I send the email late its the third day, but thats on me. Order on a Tuesday and its always on my doorstep Thursday evening between when my wife picks up our boy at 5:00 and when I get home at 6:30 or 7:00.

Never had a shipping issue before, but I sure am happy with USPS.
  • JonathanEJonathanE Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 401
    I had an order deliver to Puerto Rico about two weeks ago. The military base there realized the mistake and reshipped it to me in Qatar. Bad USPS, awesome military!

JDE

• BombayBombay Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,207
    jlmarta:
    I live in Yuba City. How about you?
    Right outisde Sacramento. The UPS plant is in West Sac. so it seems those guys would be up your way a lot more than once a week.
    They may be, in other parts of town, but they're never seen in my part of town except on Thursday. Also, I'd guess that deliveries to businesses have completely different schedules out of necessity, changing the mix.
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    jsnake:
    skweekz:
    I have this happen all the time. We live in a rural area and when our regular driver is off we get some jack a$$ guy. Jerk won't pick up mail when you leave it out with the flag up. If he is working the package always says delivered but I never get it until the regular driver shows up because he is too freaking lazy to get out of the truck and bring it to my porch. I even had a package that was sent from Indiana, arrived in Kansas City, shipped back to Indiana, and finally sent back to KC for delivery. And we wonder why the USPS is a money sucking failure.
    Worse yet, some people want these same morons to run health care.