Home Trades, Passes and Bombs

Movie Trivia Pass

Comments

• ENFIDLENFIDL Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,836
    absolutjer:
    The Strangers
    That is correct. You're on the good traders list right? I believe you are if I'm not mistaken. PM me your info and I'll get something out to you
  • absolutjerabsolutjer Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 120
    PM Sent. You are correct, I am on the Good Traders List. Thx
    OK, here we go...

This movie premiered at the Astor Theater in New York's Times Square. The lead actress was almost not cast because she was 10 years older than the age of the character she was playing.
  • gripnripgripnrip Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 406
    The Wizard of Oz
    gripnrip:
    The Wizard of Oz
    Nice try with so little information, better than I was expecting for a 1st answer.

Thats not it though.

next clue

The story takes place in 1917, during World War I
  • DSWarmackDSWarmack Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,426
    I am guessing we are talking about the Astor Theater that was reduced to rubble the year after I was born? Sergeant York?
    DSWarmack:
    I am guessing we are talking about the Astor Theater that was reduced to rubble the year after I was born? Sergeant York?
    Correct Theater, wrong movie. Looks like a good old movie though I am going to have to check that one out.

Next Clue

The director got the lead actor drunk before shooting one of the key sceens for this film that "almost" stared Marlon Brando
    New clue

The film setting was Monterey, California
    Sergeant York was an excelent movie, Dad always made me watch classics and i guess helped me develop a taste for them. I think I found the answer, but I had to google it. I am just curious to see what it is.
    DSWarmack:
    Sergeant York was an excelent movie, Dad always made me watch classics and i guess helped me develop a taste for them. I think I found the answer, but I had to google it. I am just curious to see what it is.
    Yeah it looks good, I watched a 5 minute clip of it on YouTube and just added it to my NetFlix que.

My dad had me watching a lot of old war movies from the 60's & 70's when I was a kid also. The Great Escape, The Dirty Dozen, Von Ryan's Express, Papillon and so many others.

These are some of my favorite movies now that I find myself watching over and over. This also has me lately getting into even older movies from the 40's so it looks like Sergeant York will be right up my alley.

New Clue coming soon, I am trying to get easier with the clues now, but it sounds like you're Google search may have found it! I have been trying to be careful with the answers to make them hard to Google!
  • HeavyHeavy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,590
    I don't have a clue about the movie (lol), but just wanted to chime in about Sgt. York - absolutely great movie - based on a true story too. Saw it as a kid and will always watch it when it comes on. That and "Shane" are probably my two favorite classic flicks. They don't make em like that anymore.
    Heavy:
    I don't have a clue about the movie (lol), but just wanted to chime in about Sgt. York - absolutely great movie - based on a true story too. Saw it as a kid and will always watch it when it comes on. That and "Shane" are probably my two favorite classic flicks. They don't make em like that anymore.
    Agreed, they don't make em' like they used to!
    This was the first of only three Major Motion Pictures the lead actor stared in before his tragic death turned him into an Icon.

It was the only Picture of the three he starred in released before his death.
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    And that was my guess via google.
    Winner, Winner, we have a Winner.

East of Eden (1955)
    Directed by Elia Kazan

Starring:
    James Dean
    Julie Harris
    Raymond Massey
    Burl Ives
    Richard Davalos
    and Jo Van Fleet

PM me your address beatnic and I will get a nice little care package sent right over to ya!
    DSWarmack:
    I figured you had it, thank you for the honesty! Hard not to Google sometimes huh!
    yea, google kind of spoils things. But, I've got one up my sleeve next. Post in a few.
    Steve McQueen is in this movie. He doesn't carry a weapon in it.
    absolutjer:
    DSWarmack:
    I figured you had it, thank you for the honesty! Hard not to Google sometimes huh!

well, the theater was demolished the year after I was born, so I knew the movie was old.The only one I could think of off the top of my head was SGT York that was from around that time frame. Dad always said that was the 'marker' for when I was born for him, amazingly hes normaly only off by one year on my age!
  • HeavyHeavy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,590
    The Towering Inferno
  • PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 739
    Not yet.
    I love The Blob!
  • mbetotmbetot Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 10
    new clue
    He wore a pair of blue-tinted Persol sunglasses in the movie
    Nice, one of my favorite McQueen movies. I actually have a copy of this one on 16mm film. Super cool to watch on a projector. I know I can not guess, just wanted to chime in on what a great movie this one is!
    absolutjer:
    Nice, one of my favorite McQueen movies. I actually have a copy of this one on 16mm film. Super cool to watch on a projector. I know I can not guess, just wanted to chime in on what a great movie this one is!
    16 mm? Damn. Hard core movie buff.
    beatnic:
    absolutjer:
    16 mm? Damn. Hard core movie buff.
    Yeah, a bit... I started collecting 35mm and 16mm prints about 10 years ago but then got out of it. Too much space needed for storing them. Now I have not even watched any of the titles I collected in years. It was fun for a while, but now that money is better spent on cigars!
    New Clue! He drove a dune buggy in it and the movie was nominated for 2 Oscars.