Home General Discussion

robusto's vs toro's

NightHawkNightHawk Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 246
heres a question someone might be able to answer for me. are robustos and toros of the same rg the same exact blend in a particular line? ie are they the same exact primings of the same exact leaf, or are they just they different for the vitola? i was wondering this bc maybe the leaves that werent long enough for toros are made into robustos. ive noticed mostly the same flavors in same rg robustos and toros, except maybe slight flavor development variations? maybe its just me.. what do u guys think??

Comments

• LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    NightHawk:
    heres a question someone might be able to answer for me. are robustos and toros of the same rg the same exact blend in a particular line? ie are they the same exact primings of the same exact leaf, or are they just they different for the vitola? i was wondering this bc maybe the leaves that werent long enough for toros are made into robustos. ive noticed mostly the same flavors in same rg robustos and toros, except maybe slight flavor development variations? maybe its just me.. what do u guys think??
    It depends on the blender, but what I recall the same actual brand/blend are all the same leaves just in different ring gauges and lengths. You will get different flavors for the wrapper/filler ratio will change, also the coolness of a longer cigar or the heat of a shorter cigar.

I've heard some cigars/blenders will make a different blend for each vitola (I have no examples, though) but mostly you try all the vitolas of a certain marca and find the one you like best, but it's all the same tobacco
  • NightHawkNightHawk Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 246
    what i meant to ask i guess was about cigars of the same brand/blend and RG, but different lengths. are the leaves just longer?
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    longer length leaves i believe, more filler for bigger ring gauges...etc. There are certain cigars out there that I prefer in certain vitolas. I'm not a big fan of the 6x60s, too me they just don't taste as good as the smaller ring gauges. I usually stick w/ robustos, toros and torps and don't smoke anything over a 54 ring gauge.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    Lasabar:
    I've heard some cigars/blenders will make a different blend for each vitola (I have no examples, though)
    padron.
    NightHawk:
    in theory, a robusto will be the same as a toro in flavor. in reality the leaves are cut differently to make that size. cigars are all rolled to be the exact ring and length that they are. they do not make a long cigar and cut it down to length. most blenders and manufacturers will make each size in a line taste as much like every other size as they can. other more traditional blenders wont. they will let the size influence the flavor.

ever read my blending 101 thread? you should. pay a good amount of attention to page two. there are a few posts on that page that have a ton of good info on it, not just the top one.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    JMO, but I am firmly in the robusto over toro camp now.
    fla-gypsy:
    thats funny. im in the toro camp over the robusto.

but only because i feel that it is the most "middle of the road" vitola out there.
  • The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    used to be torps then robustos now toros
  • BigT06BigT06 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,899
    fla-gypsy:
    Me too, but only because I typically have less than 45 min to smoke. If I have a lot of time, I'm a fan of big torpedos and churchills
    BigT06:
    fla-gypsy:
    Me too, but only because I typically have less than 45 min to smoke. If I have a lot of time, I'm a fan of big torpedos and churchills
    takes me over an hour to smoke a robusto... usually closer to 1:20