Home Ratings & Reviews

Arganese Maduro Toro

kaelariakaelaria Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 572
This 6×50 stick offers a very dark brown first slightly toothy wrapper with minimal veins, tight seams, a double cap and damp sweet musty aroma. First light reveals a very snug draw with minimal smoke output and medium body flavors of a damp bitter tobacco. The first third actually mellos a bit towards mild, with much the same flavors, just a bitter earth taste. Burn is good although the whole stick is going hot and mushy, the cheery feels like it’s a good couple inches below the burn. This is also a cheap dyed cigar, with the dye actually running down the side and staining my lips and fingers. 25 minutes in the ash drops off at the start of the 2nd third, flavors adding a touch of a dry chocolate, the draw opening up just a bit and smoke output up a bit. Burn is perfect, almost razor sharp. The ash holds on in third length chunks but I ended this stick 55 min in at the start of the last third where it just went very hot and mushy. http://cigarobsession.com/2011/08/06/arganese-maduro-toro-cigar-review/

Comments

• kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Hmmm. I smoked a couple of these a few years ago when I bought some "Cigar of the Year" type packages. This was in contention as one of the best new releases.. I don't know what happened since then, but I thought it was a decent stick that I never got around to re-visiting. Thanks for updating on this one.
  • RBeckomRBeckom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,099
    I've had several of these and found them very enjoyable. If yours was bitter tasting you might need to let them rest A while. This should mellow it somewhat.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    RBeckom:
    I've had several of these and found them very enjoyable. If yours was bitter tasting you might need to let them rest A while. This should mellow it somewhat.
    And whats the deal with these being a buck a stick cigar. I think that when I first saw them they were more like 7-8 bucks. I wouldn't buy any cigar at a dollar because a price that low says " Crap" in my opinion.
  • kaelariakaelaria Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 572
    I let all my submissions rest at least several weeks. If they need more than that they should not have been sold, so it's a manufacturer's issue and a valid concerns so far as the review goes. Someone picking one up in a shop is there to smoke it, not stash it away. The brand has had several blends and the more expensive ones I believe are different and no longer made.
  • The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    Thanks for the reviews, Just letting you know my thoughts. I smoked a arganese maduro that I picked up in a sampler. I probably let it rest 3-5 days if that. I was suprised by this cigar as I wasnt expecting much from it but I thought it was a fairly good cigar, actually it prompted me to pick up a couple arganese connies. I felt the maduro burned well, with a good draw, ample smoke and a pretty decent flavor, while it wasnt anything dynamic or exciting I wouldn't have any hesitation in trying another. I only have smoked the one. Perhaps the blend or production is inconsistent. IDK I'd have to try more.
  • dbeckomdbeckom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,807
    Gene Arganese makes several very good premium cigars in addition to their standard lined. If you get the chance to pick up a couple Arganese FDW (First Draw Wrapper), you won't be disappointed. They come in Milan Marble, Santiago Sweet, and Ruby Red...all are great cigars!
    If A cigar is A good smoke and A good deal I see no reason not to try them. I smoke one off the truck and let the rest sit for A while to see how the flavors merge and mellow. The FDW Ruby Red is A cigar everyone should try.
  • VulchorVulchor Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,176
    uH oH-----Im calling you out here too lol. Had a box of these about a year or so ago...thought they were mild and fairly one dimensional---but for the price they would shoot way up in quality conidering. I likeld them enough to buy a box of the Arganese ML-3 which I thought was a damn decent stick, and great when again the price was considered. This is what I love about the hobby btw....same stick, likely a similar batch....but 2 different people and 2 toally different tastes. It either makes cigar smoking great or maddening...either way its a good time.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    This was my first box purchase... I don't know what happened to the brand but a few short years ago it was considered a premium cigar.

• The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    kaelaria:
    I let all my submissions rest at least several weeks. If they need more than that they should not have been sold, so it's a manufacturer's issue and a valid concerns so far as the review goes. Someone picking one up in a shop is there to smoke it, not stash it away. The brand has had several blends and the more expensive ones I believe are different and no longer made.
    I do agree with this!! Sometimes I think there is a little too much emphasis on aging cigars.. I love to do it, but I dont have any qualms about smoking them either. I also will agree with the arganese maduro becoming a little hot and bitter, but for me it wasnt until the "bitter end" and I was pretty much finished with it anyway, cant smoke em all down to nothing. Although I do make note when I have to breakout my toothpick,lol
    Vulchor:
    uH oH-----Im calling you out here too lol. Had a box of these about a year or so ago...thought they were mild and fairly one dimensional---but for the price they would shoot way up in quality conidering. I likeld them enough to buy a box of the Arganese ML-3 which I thought was a damn decent stick, and great when again the price was considered. This is what I love about the hobby btw....same stick, likely a similar batch....but 2 different people and 2 toally different tastes. It either makes cigar smoking great or maddening...either way its a good time.

If all cigars tasted the same to everyone we wouldn't need reviews in the first place. I now am looking forward to smoking A ML-3 on your recommendation.
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    Had a handful of Arganese cigars... never a good one.
  • VulchorVulchor Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,176
    Same way I feel about Padilla.
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    Had a few of the naturals but not the maddies. I didn't like the taste profile on these and find them too mild.