Home General Discussion

cigars still good or not ?

jj20030jj20030 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,448
sent wayne a bomb to canada on may 9, i forgot and wrote cigars on box. box was refused and today just got the box back almost 3 months later from out there in the us mail land, will probably just chunk them but wanted to see what all you would do, the one on the right has the wrapper peeling apart,lol, the rest look ok, image

Comments

• Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    Pop 'em back in low humidity and gradually bring it up? Or just try one.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    How was the humi pillow? Was it completely dried out? I've had mine last a year or more.
  • jj20030jj20030 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,448
    rwheelwright:
    How was the humi pillow? Was it completely dried out? I've had mine last a year or more.
    / nope plenty moisture was left , guess ill just mark them with a note to remember what they are when i try them,lol
  • zeebrazeebra Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,166
    add em to the crap pass....lol.
  • The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    Send em to me,,lol I think they are smokeable,especially since you had a humi pillow in there. Barber poles are finicky to begin with. Throw em back in the humi for a couple weeks.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    Id try one and see, if the pillow wasn't dry as a bone, then you might have a good chance of the cigars still being ok. If it's not, then let them rest in your humi for awhile.
    jj20030:
    rwheelwright:
    / nope plenty moisture was left , guess ill just mark them with a note to remember what they are when i try them,lol
    My suggestion then would be to put them in your smoking humi and leave them for maybe 2 months so that the humidity will come back down to where you like it.
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    rwheelwright:
    jj20030:
    rwheelwright:
    My suggestion then would be to put them in your smoking humi and leave them for maybe 2 months so that the humidity will come back down to where you like it.
    Sounds right to me
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    If they were in a bag or something.... They are fine... I'd be more worried about beetles than anything else. For the past two months the United States has been around 55-80%Rh Nationwide... So basically even where they were sitting the bad thing would be temps, but they shouldn't be bone dry and lost
  • t_evan50t_evan50 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,725
    Bring em back slow and smoke the hell out of em. If ur to scared , send em to me. ;)
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    There are passes out there that traveled with just Pillows for a long time.. I don't think they are junk, just get them back to the way you like through a long rest in proper conditions.
  • JudoChinXJudoChinX Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 775
    Dang. Looks like you had some nice cigars in there. Hope they survived.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,863
    Hey JJ. Wow. I never knew that they were bouncing around the postal system for that long. In any case, if the humi pillow wasn't dry and the cigars don't look or feel dried out, they should be ok. Just give them a gentle squeeze. If the tobacco feels hard and cracks when you squeeze it, it's too dry. If it's too dry, then slowly bring them back up in humidity.

If they're not dried out, then I would still isolate them for a couple of weeks. It's been hot all across North America, so watch out for beetles. Hope they're still ok. That's a beautiful attempted bomb.
  • jj20030jj20030 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,448
    wwhwang:
    Hey JJ. Wow. I never knew that they were bouncing around the postal system for that long. In any case, if the humi pillow wasn't dry and the cigars don't look or feel dried out, they should be ok. Just give them a gentle squeeze. If the tobacco feels hard and cracks when you squeeze it, it's too dry. If it's too dry, then slowly bring them back up in humidity.

If they're not dried out, then I would still isolate them for a couple of weeks. It's been hot all across North America, so watch out for beetles. Hope they're still ok. That's a beautiful attempted bomb.
    yup just the mention of beetles yesterday made me throw them in the freezer yesterday so what the best way to mess with them when i take them out and how lond should i freeze them?
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    From what I've read 48 hours in the freezer then put them in isolation for a bit to watch them before adding them to your humi.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,863
    Actually, if I remember correctly, it's 48 hours in freezer, then another 48 hours in the fridge before putting them back in the humi or isolation. This way, the cigars won't be damaged by a sudden change in temp and humidity (if you just went directly from freezer to humi).
    I think that if the cigars were in the bag for 3 months with the humidity high and temps high that a beetle outbreak would have already happened if it were to happen at all. Just my guess and opinion.