Home Non Cigar Related

Watcha reading

Comments

• jeep edsonjeep edson Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 826
    read game of thrones last week and am now on the second book. mad i never knew about the series before now. great read.
  • Fritz the CatFritz the Cat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 27
    ^ My son got me into the series now I am on book 4 and renting the videos too. Good reading
  • The buffalonianThe buffalonian Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 919
    jeep edson:
    read game of thrones last week and am now on the second book. mad i never knew about the series before now. great read.
    love this series and the show's great too
  • BombayBombay Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,207
    Condoleeza Rice's No Higher Honor. Not to bad, lets you in on a little bit of the back story of decisions that were made, probably the best line so far has been, "Today's headline and history's judgment are rarely the same." Which I think may just sum up a majority of political careers, either way, either party.
  • *Petey**Petey* Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 375
    bandyt09:
    *Petey*:
    bandyt09:
    The Haunted by Bentley Little.

Any Koontz or King fans out there need to read this guy. Stephen King wrote about him saying "When I want to be scared I read Bently Little", that was enough for me. Koontz helped his local brother out in helping him get published I believe (Koontz is in Newport Beach and Little is in Fullerton) and both write about their surroundings. It is really kind of neat to be able to drive around and see "scenes" from both of their books.

Anyway, check out Bentley Little if you like King or Koontz.
    Thanks for the tip on this one Todd, looks like i'll be trying out a new author soon, thanks man.
    Boyd, Bentley is quite an interesting read. Both Joe and I did find "The Haunted" just a little creepy. "The Disappearance" was a good read also.
    Cool deal will check em out. I pulled him up on amazon and read through a few descriptions of his stuff and he's got a lot out there over the last 20 years. Never even heard of this guy, will have to check those two out to start. I liked a lot of Stephen Kings early stuff and have read a few Koontz novels over the years, but have been on a Noir Detective novel kick for a while, so this is good stuff. I'm excited to get back to the creepy . . . .

Thanks man.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,910
    I cant read. This thread hurt my feelings. :-(

• xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    Reading a manga, Deadman Wonderland - haven't finished it yet, but I will soon. Incredible story, makes me ecstatic just thinking about delving into another volume, but there's only 12 and the author went on hiatus in January this year, so it might be awhile before more stuff comes out - still, an amazing story and plot; I'm jumping around my seat right now thinking of what could come next
  • rzamanrzaman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,604
    The CIA and the Cult of Intelligence by Victor Marchetti and John Marks
  • The buffalonianThe buffalonian Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 919
    xmacro:
    Reading a manga, Deadman Wonderland - haven't finished it yet, but I will soon. Incredible story, makes me ecstatic just thinking about delving into another volume, but there's only 12 and the author went on hiatus in January this year, so it might be awhile before more stuff comes out - still, an amazing story and plot; I'm jumping around my seat right now thinking of what could come next
    i love the anime and just picked up the first two volumes.
  • robbyrasrobbyras Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,487
    just started The Pillars of the Earth... I'm about 2% of the way through...
  • jsnakejsnake Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,037
    Black List by Brad Thor complete

Thinking about the 5th Dark Tower book by Stephen King tomorrow.

I have almost 1000 books on my nook.
  • HeavyHeavy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,590
    jsnake:

Just read Stephen King's 'Wind Through the Keyhole'. It's part of the Dark Tower series, but SK wrote it after the series was completed. I guess you'd call it kind of a side story. It was excellent and it was good to read another Dark Tower story. I'm thinking about reading the whole series over again soon.

Currently reading Gregg Allman's autobiography 'My Cross to Bear".
  • MarkerMarker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,524
    Finished the 13th book of the Wheel of Time series. Waiting for the (supposedly) last one in March. Moved on to the Sword of Truth series and on the 4th book. Shocking how much Goodkind ripped off Jordan.
  • jsnakejsnake Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,037
    Heavy:
    jsnake:

Just read Stephen King's 'Wind Through the Keyhole'. It's part of the Dark Tower series, but SK wrote it after the series was completed. I guess you'd call it kind of a side story. It was excellent and it was good to read another Dark Tower story. I'm thinking about reading the whole series over again soon.

Currently reading Gregg Allman's autobiography 'My Cross to Bear".
    I have that one lined up too. I have every book written by all my favorite authors. Sometimes I get stuck on a certain author for a while. Vince Flynn and Brad Thor can't write fast enough for me. I also like discovering new authors (new to me). I carry a nook and nook color with me at all times and read a couple books a week usually.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Marker:
    Finished the 13th book of the Wheel of Time series. Waiting for the (supposedly) last one in March. Moved on to the Sword of Truth series and on the 4th book. Shocking how much Goodkind ripped off Jordan.
    Have you read R.A. Salvatore Jamie? I'm really into his fantasy novels...waiting on the next WoT book leaves a big black hole inside me, I just can't get enough epic fantasy.
  • MarkerMarker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,524
    j0z3r:
    Marker:
    Have you read R.A. Salvatore Jamie? I'm really into his fantasy novels...waiting on the next WoT book leaves a big black hole inside me, I just can't get enough epic fantasy.
    Read the winters night 4 book set. I would like to read more Salvatore but since a friend turned me onto the SoT series I have to finish it. Then I am going on to a set of Aikido books. Then I can get back to Salvatore stuff.
  • The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    j0z3r:
    Marker:
    Been thinkin bout tryin the Salvatore series,, but wasnt sure,, your response is encouraging
    Curious how do you guys acquire your books,, Book stores,,Online??? Do you guys do Kindle/ e-books???
    The Kid:
    j0z3r:
    Marker:
    Been thinkin bout tryin the Salvatore series,, but wasnt sure,, your response is encouraging
    Curious how do you guys acquire your books,, Book stores,,Online??? Do you guys do Kindle/ e-books???
    For the Salvatore books, since there are so many, I've been buying used omnibus collections on Amazon. I paid as low as $.46 for one omnibus...usually I buy Nook books, but it gets expensive with these big fantasy collections.
  • TheedgeTheedge Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 316
    I really enjoyed The Hidden City by Michelle West, and am currently reading the second book, City of Night. It's off to a bit of a slow start for me. I got in the new Terry Brooks book yesterday titled Wards of Faerie. So far so good, typical Brooks I guess. I also received Ecstatic Poems by Kabir - I always figure I should try and learn something I guess. Plus it will look snooty on my bookshelf.

I still like the look, feel and smell of a real book.
    Theedge:
    I felt that way too until I got used to my Nook. I still like a real book, but the Nook has its advantages...for one, you can carry many books with you, which is quite handy if you read a lot and don't have the room for a ton of books. Another thing is the ease of getting a new book...simply search and buy, no driving to the nearest book store or library. I don't regret the transition to the Nook.
  • ToombesToombes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,451
    Just finished the Tarzan series by E. R. Borroughs and now on to The Breath of God by Jeffery Small.
  • illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,507
    Going to start the Night Trilogy by Elie Wiesel tonight, does anyone know anything about this series? Anyone read it?
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    j0z3r:
    Theedge:
    I felt that way too until I got used to my Nook. I still like a real book, but the Nook has its advantages...for one, you can carry many books with you, which is quite handy if you read a lot and don't have the room for a ton of books. Another thing is the ease of getting a new book...simply search and buy, no driving to the nearest book store or library. I don't regret the transition to the Nook.
    Our library offers ebooks (supposedly) but I've never tried it out. Have you, or any other e-reader folks, ever tried out something similar with your library? If so, how does it work? Is there a good selection?
    jgibv:
    j0z3r:
    Theedge:
    Our library offers ebooks (supposedly) but I've never tried it out. Have you, or any other e-reader folks, ever tried out something similar with your library? If so, how does it work? Is there a good selection?
    I've never tried that myself, I don't know if my library has anything like that set up.
  • RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    Rereading (for the 10th time) The Stand.
  • deejmemixxdeejmemixx Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,064
    Odd Thomas by dean koontz
  • pnaylonpnaylon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 214
    I just read a book called "Unbroken: a world war II story" by laura hilldenbrand, and it was phenomenal! It's about an olympic sprinter who joins the air corps during world war II, gets taken as a POW by the Japanese, and survives and makes it home. Really inspiring!
  • marineatbn03marineatbn03 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,634
    pnaylon:
    I just read a book called "Unbroken: a world war II story" by laura hilldenbrand, and it was phenomenal! It's about an olympic sprinter who joins the air corps during world war II, gets taken as a POW by the Japanese, and survives and makes it home. Really inspiring!
    Then you should read 5 years to freedom by Col. James Rowe. Survived 5 years as a POW and then became the father of what is now known as SERE school.
  • nickiamnickiam Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 603
    Currently reading: a very large book about Al Capone, the cigars for dummies book, and a book called "learning to eat soup with a knife"
  • webmostwebmost Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,131
    Cuba Libre by Elmore Leonard. Not his best work, so merely awesome.