Home Non Cigar Related

What are you reading tonight ...

Comments

• dutyjedutyje Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,263
    Puro, that thing hasn't even hit the shelves yet! Damn internet... people leaking my books before I can get them published. I'm pulling that one.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    dutyje:
    I'm pulling that one.
    Thats what he said!
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    madurofan:
    Hey Urbs. I finally picked up Blood Meridian. I got the new millenium edition and started reading throught the prelude of book written by some professor of something or another and right there on the first freaking page he tells you how the book ends. Pissed me off so much I haven't picked the book back up yet. I will read it very soon I'm sure but just not until my anger subsides.
    That sucks, maddy. OTOH, that book is more about the journey than the destination. I'll be interested to hear what you think of it when you get back around to it. BTW, is that forward by Harold Bloom?
  • smbrinksmbrink Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 406
    Im thinking about picking up The Complete Hitchhikers Guide again.
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    urbino:
    madurofan:
    Hey Urbs. I finally picked up Blood Meridian. I got the new millenium edition and started reading throught the prelude of book written by some professor of something or another and right there on the first freaking page he tells you how the book ends. Pissed me off so much I haven't picked the book back up yet. I will read it very soon I'm sure but just not until my anger subsides.
    That sucks, maddy. OTOH, that book is more about the journey than the destination. I'll be interested to hear what you think of it when you get back around to it. BTW, is that forward by Harold Bloom?
    Not sure, I'll have to double check. I know one of the forewords was by bloom but I can't remember if it was that one.

SPOILER ALERT He tells you how Kid dies and goes into detail and all right there on the first page. It really pissed me off.
    Yeah. That's a shame, but honestly, you see it coming from a long way off, anyway. It's not a plot-driven book.

Bloom wrote the foreword for the Modern Library edition I have, and is generally known to be a huge fan of the book. That's why asked. I think he even includes it in his literary canon.
    urbino:
    Yeah. That's a shame, but honestly, you see it coming from a long way off, anyway. It's not a plot-driven book.

Bloom wrote the foreword for the Modern Library edition I have, and is generally known to be a huge fan of the book. That's why asked. I think he even includes it in his literary canon.
    Yea thats the same edition I have so that must be it.
    Oh. I thought you said yours was a special edition of some kind. (Good rule of thumb for future reference, btw: never read forwards until after you've read the book. IME, you don't really get much out of them if you don't know the book. Which suggests doody was right, and nearly all forewords should be afterwords.)
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    I've been reading an odd book this week, The Face by Dean Koontz. His books always have a quality of grabbing you and pulling you right into the strange webs he weaves, and this one is not different, rather it is a key example. Nothing particularly deep going on, but entertaining all the same.
    The Last Theorem has a few preambles and postambles. The preambles are relevant to the book, and it helps if you read them first. Some of the postambles are referenced within the book, and ohers are to be read after the book is finished. The organization makes it nice and easy to read what you're supposed to read, in the right order.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    j0z3r:
    I've been reading an odd book this week, The Face by Dean Koontz. His books always have a quality of grabbing you and pulling you right into the strange webs he weaves, and this one is not different, rather it is a key example. Nothing particularly deep going on, but entertaining all the same.
    Brother Joe, ..I am reading Odd Hours by Dean Koontz right now.. I have read almost everything by Koontz. The guy has probably 50 books out by now. Odd Thomas and Chris Snow are two of my favorite characters in his novels.
    I haven't read the "Odd" books yet...it's actually been quite a while since I've read a Koontz book, don't know why because I always enjoy them with the single exception being Icebound. I think I'll start with Odd Thomas after I finish this one.
    Anybody tried any of the e-readers, like Amazon's Kindle?
    Not me, I can't read more than 5-10 pages on a computer, at that point I become distracted and lose interest.
    j0z3r:
    I haven't read the "Odd" books yet...it's actually been quite a while since I've read a Koontz book, don't know why because I always enjoy them with the single exception being Icebound. I think I'll start with Odd Thomas after I finish this one.
    A good choice joe, odd is a quirky guy, you will like the series. Let me know what you think. The book that got me started on Koontz was Whispers. (creepy) I was on vacation and someone left a copy in the hotel I was at. It was a rainy day in Florida, and I read it in one afternoon. Been a fan ever since.
    For me it was Night Chills when I was 15, found it among my Dad's other books and got so wrapped up in it, I was done a couple nights later. I like his writing style because it really pulls you into the story and doesn't let go until it is finished, not like some writers who spend, in my opinion, too much time developing the plot instead of letting it unfold as the story progresses.
    j0z3r:
    For me it was Night Chills when I was 15, found it among my Dad's other books and got so wrapped up in it, I was done a couple nights later. I like his writing style because it really pulls you into the story and doesn't let go until it is finished, not like some writers who spend, in my opinion, too much time developing the plot instead of letting it unfold as the story progresses.
    Then you will love the Odd Thomas story. Koontz drops you right in the middle of the fire so to speak..on page one. I have stayed up all night many time with his books. I do like developing a plot and the characters as well. A perfect example would be King's " The Stand"... 75% of that book was developing plot..Short story about a guy in California, Short story about a guy in Texas, short story about two kids in Maine, short story about a guy in Vegas, short story about a guy in New York.. All so very different. You travel the entire country meeting all these people Each remarkable.. and you just know that they are all going to cross paths very soon. One of my favorite Fiction Novels.
    Indeed, that stands (no pun intended) as my favorite novel by King, and I've read most of them.
    j0z3r:
    Indeed, that stands (no pun intended) as my favorite novel by King, and I've read most of them.
    The Stand is my favorite by him, followed by Dead Zone and The Shining.. I have also read nearly everything by King, so I would venture to guess you to be a James Patterson fan as well. ?
    HA! Yes, I love the Alex Cross novels but have not read any more recent than Roses Are Red. I seem to recall Jack and Jill as being my favorite. Aside from those though, I'm not sure I've read anything else by Patterson, although my mother is a huge fan of his books, she gets a new one when they come out and reads through it almost as quickly. As for fiction, I'm also a big Crichton fan and also a Robin Cook junkie, I like Grisham too, but his books have been a bit hit or miss for me.
    j0z3r:
    Not me, I can't read more than 5-10 pages on a computer, at that point I become distracted and lose interest.
    I'm exactly the same, but these things are nearly like reading off paper -- extremely low glare, ink-like, etc.

The Stand is dual use. After you've read it, you can stand on it to reach the canned goods in that cabinet above the fridge.
    urbino:
    The Stand is dual use. After you've read it, you can stand on it to reach the canned goods in that cabinet above the fridge.
    Haha. Pun intended I'm assuming? :)
    Seems so glaringly obvious, but on the internets...who knows. :)
    urbino:
    More or less.
    A little more more than less?
    Rather the opposite, really. I was remarking on the length of that book; the pun was just there.
    I couldn't find my copy of Odd Thomas, so I started reading Intensity, also by Dean Koontz. This book is intense, just launches you right in with scarcely a warning.
    I read The Good Guy by Koontz and was impressed. Very good book, a little twisted (which I enjoy) and fast paced. The first chapter of Odd hours was in the back of the book as a teaser. Seemed good. WHen I'm through my McCarthy kick I may pick up a few Koontz books.

I've recently rediscovered the library, its working well for me because my two 6 foot bookshelves are already packed.
    The Ascent of Money, by Niall Ferguson.
    madurofan:
    I read The Good Guy by Koontz and was impressed. Very good book, a little twisted (which I enjoy) and fast paced. The first chapter of Odd hours was in the back of the book as a teaser. Seemed good. WHen I'm through my McCarthy kick I may pick up a few Koontz books.

I've recently rediscovered the library, its working well for me because my two 6 foot bookshelves are already packed.
    Check out The Face, Strangers, The Funhouse, Dragon Tears...just to name a few. Koontz is a really addictive writer, and the pace of his books makes them hard to put down.

I've been reading Fatal Cure by Robin Cook this week. Interesting book. If you guys aren't familiar with Robin Cook, he's a doctor who writes fictional medical thrillers, ie thrillers that deal with some facet of medicine or the medical industry. An interesting twist on the standard thriller.