Home General Discussion

La perla black pearl troubles

d-robd-rob Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 61
Smoked a black pearl tonight for the first time and had the wrapper coming apart all over. Got the sticks about a two weeks ago and they have been sitting in the humi since then. Did I take it out to soon? I'm fairly certain my cut was good and the wrapper was coming apart at both ends and cracking in the middle. Any suggestions?

Comments

• AJGARLETTAJGARLETT Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 648
    Fire up another one. Bad sticks happen, unfortunately it happens on your first smoke
  • The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    Wow, Im suprised I have smoked many of those, One of my go to sticks. Ive never had a problem. Actually thats why its my go to... never any surprises with that one...In my experience dryness is usually a contributor in sticks that unravel. Not sure if thats the case or you got a bad one. Things happen. Did it explode like say from too much humidity? That happens too, Was the wrapper dry and brittle or soft and spongy?
  • amz1301amz1301 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,287
    I've smoked probably 10 - 15 of these, never had a problem with one either. If you bought them here and think you got some bad ones e-mail or call one of the reps., they'll take care of you.
  • d-robd-rob Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 61
    Dryness may have been the issue. Only let them sit for two weeks. I may give the rest a couple more then go back to them. The flavor was good so I don't want to give up just yet.
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    I buy them by the box. Great deal. Never had one unravel. I like the Morado Toro
  • The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    Two weeks is plenty of enough time for the cigars to be smokeable. I'm assuming you bought them from a reputable retailer like Cigar.com Next question is have you calibrated your hygrometer and what are you using for humidification?
  • RBeckomRBeckom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,099
    I've smoked several varieties of Black Pearls without any problems. It sounds like dryness might be your main issue. A digital hygrometer might serve you well.
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    d-rob:
    I'm fairly certain my cut was good
    Since the bum stick theory, and the dryness theory have already been discussed, I'll throw out the 3rd reasons cigars unravel . . . .

Cutting off the entire cap. you said the cut was good, but if it unraveled on both ends, did the cap fall off, or had you snipped too much? I bring it up just becuase this has been the cause for me more often than not when I'm not paying attention. The cap on a cigar is also to keep the wrapper secure on the end your pulling off, while you smoke it. But I guess you said the lit end uraveled too . . . . so maybe it was the bum stick theory. I don't know, jsut thought I'd bring up the cap thing. is also why brands that have a triple cap are sure to include that fact in the write up of the cigar. it REALLY makes a difference.

so I agree with what everyone else said. try another one, but when you do, make sure you leave as much cap as you can while still getting a decent draw. Or punch it. I actually really like my punch, becuase there's no room for user error on my part.
  • d-robd-rob Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 61
    The hygrometer was calibrated is reading around 71. The stick spent the last couple of days in my herfador with boveda packs. The only reason I even bring it up is that it had a good flavor and I don't want to give up on it just yet.
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    If it's just one stick then I wouldn't sweat it. Sticks in that price range aren't always going to be perfect. Hell, sticks in a higher price range won't always be perfect.
  • mfotismfotis Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 720
    I buy these by the box as well and never had any problems.
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    I've occasionally had the cap to unravel a little, even with a good cut, but only once the whole cigar, and it was after only about 2 weeks of rest. Since then, I've always given them a good 30 days, no problems.

I didn't notice, but did you take it outside into the heat and humidity and fire it up? This happens to me here in TN in the summer, especially when it's 99 F and 99% humidity, like now.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    I had my Cohiba bust on me the other day while soming and it was real humid. Still smoked well tho didn't try to unravel till it got to a big split but it held. Barely.