Home General Discussion

What cigar mags do you read ?

vegassparkyvegassparky Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 365
I usually read Smoke and Aficionado. Just wanted to throw this out to see if there are other mags i am not aware of ?

Comments

• kaelariakaelaria Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 572
    None. I will peruse them at a lounge but I don't find much of value inside them. The reviews are nothing but marketing BS in most cases, the articles fluff or press releases - if they are related to cigars at all in the first place.
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    I read CA, not because it is particularly insightful, but occasionally the interviews are interesting, the lifestyle stuff, while beyond my means, is interesting, and because I got a free subscription.
  • ug danug dan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 375
    Have'nt seen you on here in awhile Vegas! I read CA but I won't be re subscribing. Half thier cover people don't even smoke cigars and while it's fun to read reviews on Ferraris and rolexs, I can live without it
  • vegassparkyvegassparky Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 365
    I have been working alot at work and home...my wife and i are having a baby girl due in sept, so i have been getting things ready instead of enjoying the brotherhood here. I got Smoke mag from my wife and there was a small article about plum and mold. CA never really has any articles worth reading.
  • rossdavey2rossdavey2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 979
    euro cigar journal. Every quarter. Other than that I will flip through CA at the store but wont buy it.
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    CA. I got it for free with my airline miles. I like the whole "finer living" aspect as I would like to "live finer" someday
  • jacketsrulejacketsrule Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 401
    Check out Cigar Snob magazine. Good info and even better pics.
  • skweekzskweekz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,218
    ug dan:
    Half thier cover people don't even smoke cigars

Agreed, for the most part. Although I really enjoyed the newest issue story with Joe Montegna. He's an avid smoker and a fantastic actor. I'd love to sit down and shoot the breeze with him over a stick or two.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 846
    CA only because it ws the first cigar mag I came in contact with. But now it seems overly posed toward marketing for things I cannot afford. At first I thought the articles were good but now they seem to be only mediocre. Looked at the Euro mag a couple of times but only when I could get it for free. (BTW it was more interesting than CA) One of the Brothers mentioed Cigar Snob, I may give it a look. when I first started out i tired to read everything I could...books on top of books until it started to become repetitive and it didn't take long for the new material to run out.
  • bearbbearb Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,044
    While I enjoy scanning many, I generally agree that the reviews, ads and 'lifestyless presented are not within most of our means. The reviews can be easily had online, gleaned from others reasonably easily. However, while a life filled with bags of endless money, allowing purchases of the extreme 'want' apparently isn't everything in life.... I'd still like to try it for awhile just to be sure before I totally dismiss it :)
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    vegassparky:
    I usually read Smoke and Aficionado. Just wanted to throw this out to see if there are other mags i am not aware of ?
    What's smoke? Never heard of that.

So. I really don't read much in the way of magazines. CA annoys me for all the reasons mentioned already, but I really do enjoy the top 25 every year. So if i can find it, I'll try to pick up that december issue, and read it through. A lot of those cigars are out of my price range or illegal, and obviously sometimes the reviews could shorter if they just typed "my pallate is better than yours and I like this, therefore, its better than what your smoking. . . . so there." But, I really do have to agree with quite a few on that list every year. Remember the year DPG got 5 landed in the top 25 (Blue, Black, San Cristobal, La Aroma De Cuba, and Tat Havana VI). was that 2009? Yeah, their all fantastic smokes. . . . So when I combine that list with the chatter here, I usually get the short list of new cigars that I want to try every year. Aside from that I tend to stick with what I know I like.
  • cleakecleake Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 21
    Two enjoyable "under the radar" mags that I enjoy are "cigar snob" and "The cigar network"- check them out- VERY different then CA
  • james40james40 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,450
    My wife got me a subscription to CA for xmas, so that's it but I will be checking out the others mentioned here. I'm curious as to what the smoke one is as well.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
  • RoyalCigarsRoyalCigars Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 106
    Hey Vegas
    Check out European Cigar Cult Journal, thats a great publication! Its written in one half German and the other in English. Informative articles and tips you can actually use. Also i have been sent the odd Cigar Magazine included in my last few shipments from Ccom and that mag is a pretty good too. Smoke is generally OK, but... its hit and miss. The trouble with Cigar Mags is, unless there is a pile of exciting new releases or Joe Blows cigar company is getting bought by Davidoff there isn't much to print without covering redundant material. If the info these magazines offer are things you have already read or know about its gonna be tough for that company to sell you their mag.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    I used to read Cigar Aficionado but then I realized that I didn't know how to read and just looked at the pictures and rating. Hooked on Phonics didn't work for me.
  • grannejagranneja Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 382
    The online version of CA.