Home General Discussion

New to Cigars

SkibrettSkibrett Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1
I'm very new to the world of cigars, just smoking my second one today. Very enjoyable and relaxing though. Wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks one good cigars and getting started. Thanks

Comments

• t_evan50t_evan50 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,725
    Welcome to our world. Id stick to the milder sticks at first or at least have a full stomach for the stronger ones. Maybe pick up Ccoms house blend sampler, most of their blends are excellent and it provides a great platform to see what you like. Oh yea.....buy the biggest humidor and/or cooler you can afford....
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    Honestly, send Tim Blythe, one of the senior account managers or whatever his fake title is here (his real title is His Highness The Royal Lord of Beard), and tell him you are new to cigar smoking, and don't know what you like, and want to learn. Get him to build you a sampler or whatever with a great variety. Tell him what you want to spend, and the man will do wonders for you. He does this crazy funny math where somehow you get a bunch of cigars for a price that just doesn't make sense. I think it must be calculus or algebra or whatever they call that number doin' stuff. Anyway, just try everything you can. There is no way that anyone here can tell you what you are gonna like, or hate, but the sales folks here at CCom are really helpful putting together orders, and getting you great deals, and they really do know their stuff. Anyway, email Tim, and mention his Beard, and he will get you all set up. Tblythe@cigar.com is his email addy.
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,647
    +1 for contacting the man and welcom to the fourms.
  • e6specialke6specialk Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 216
    I concur with calling Tim, he will do wonders for you. And welcome to the forum or should I say welcome to the family.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    Welcome to the wonderful world of cigars! Just curious which two cigars have u tried so far ?
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
    Krieg:
    Welcome to the wonderful world of cigars! Just curious which two cigars have u tried so far ?
    +1. Welcome to the forum. If we knew what you smoked so far and what you liked about them, we could steer you in a more specific direction. Otherwise, just try what looks good to you. That's how I started. Honestly, if a cigar looked good (construction and packaging wise), I tried it. Needless to say, I've tried a lot of fantastic smokes. Some duds. And very few dog turds. It's easy to spot dog turds. You'll know them when you see them.

Another good thing to have is the Ccom catalog. Get one today. Look at the pretty pictures. Read the suggestions from the experts. Circle everything that looks good to you and just start trying them.
  • millennium115millennium115 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 839
    welcome papa!!!! thisis an awesome forum, amazing people,!!!!!!
  • Poker SlobPoker Slob Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 996
    Welcome to the cigar family!
  • bipbip Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 483
    Welcome to the forum and world of cigars brother. You'e come to a place with a great bunch of people full of knowledge and experience. I for one just started buying everything that looked, sounded or was told was a pretty good stick. I've only come across one I can't stand. Another good way to try a variety of sticks is to set up a couple of trades. Again Welcome
  • RBeckomRBeckom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,099
    Research and then buy. You can save A fair amount of money and time this way. And welcome to the forums.
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    docbp87:
    Honestly, send Tim Blythe, one of the senior account managers or whatever his fake title is here (his real title is His Highness The Royal Lord of Beard), and tell him you are new to cigar smoking, and don't know what you like, and want to learn. Get him to build you a sampler or whatever with a great variety. Tell him what you want to spend, and the man will do wonders for you. He does this crazy funny math where somehow you get a bunch of cigars for a price that just doesn't make sense. I think it must be calculus or algebra or whatever they call that number doin' stuff. Anyway, just try everything you can. There is no way that anyone here can tell you what you are gonna like, or hate, but the sales folks here at CCom are really helpful putting together orders, and getting you great deals, and they really do know their stuff. Anyway, email Tim, and mention his Beard, and he will get you all set up. Tblythe@cigar.com is his email addy.
    Seriously good advice.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    Welcome to the group, buy a big humidor, you will need it shortly
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,539
    Welcome to the forum. You will quickly want to try everything new and start collecting get a big humidor and let the fun begin.

I have a suggestion for the Tech guys at ccom, make an email accout thebeard@cigar.com and have it forward to tblythe@cigar.com, just saying.
  • skweekzskweekz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,218
    Welcome to the boards!

ShotgunJohn:
    I have a suggestion for the Tech guys at ccom, make an email accout thebeard@cigar.com and have it forward to tblythe@cigar.com, just saying.

I've been trying to reach him telepathically, but so far, nothing. How awesome would I be to just "think" an order to The Beard?
  • The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    docbp87:
    ....+1
  • The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    Skibrett:
    I'm very new to the world of cigars, just smoking my second one today. Very enjoyable and relaxing though. Wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks one good cigars and getting started. Thanks
    ....... I would suggest getting a few essential items. A decent guiollitine cigar cutter, a good cigar lighter, and at least a 100 count humidor, The humidor is a storage unit for your cigars and when used correctly will maintain the cigars at the proper humidity level. The standard for storing cigars is 70 deg F and 70% RH (relative humidity) you will need a digital hygrometer to keep inside your humidor this will read both the temp & rh. Buy one you can calibrate. A 100 count may seem too much at this point but believe me it fills up fast and youll be happy you didnt get anything smaller. another item you will need with your humidor is something that will help balance the humidity, There are several methods but at this point Ill reccomend Humicare gel crystals. Pretty simple stuff. just add water. But remember whenever using water for your humidor to only use Distilled water. other types of water have minerals and are no good. You can talk to Tim about all of these items and he will help you get on your way. As another brother mentioned do some research and try to learn by doing some homework, search engines are a wonderful thing.. Take Care and Welcome.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,608
    Welcome to the forums. First you want to get a good humi and season it, check past posts and videos if you don't know how. Absolutely agree with docbp87, give Tim a call, "The Beard" can piss wonders and sh*t miracles. They will set you right up my friend.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    It's great to see new people discover the Brotherhood of the cigar. When I first started out all I bought was samplers to see what my tastes were. Took about 6 months before I really started to figure out what I liked. Also, one more piece of advice...stay away from thompson cigars.
  • RCY CigarsRCY Cigars Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,346
    Amos Umwhat:
    docbp87:
    Seriously good advice.

+1 Welcome to the forum....
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    What they said. Welcome abaord.
  • Lakota72Lakota72 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,267
    t_evan50:
    Welcome to our world. Id stick to the milder sticks at first or at least have a full stomach for the stronger ones. Maybe pick up Ccoms house blend sampler, most of their blends are excellent and it provides a great platform to see what you like. Oh yea.....buy the biggest humidor and/or cooler you can afford....
    +1 Welcome to the forum.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    +2 Welcome to the forum.