Home Non Cigar Related

Casey Anthony Verdict - FINAL QUESTION

2»

Comments

• Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    I think she did it and I'm proud of her. Its not often in this country people will take ownership of their mistakes and then do something about it! Now she's gotta do the right thing and get a hysterectomy so it never happens again. You know that child would have turned out to be nothing close to sane.

Come to think of it, didn't Mrs. Cartman on South Park try to get a 42nd trimester abortion on Eric? Same thing here, no? :)
  • amz1301amz1301 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,287
    Lakota72:
    Only thing I am wondering is how much this cost the tax payers?
    This is from an article I read yesterday "As of March 2011, this trial was expected to cost Florida taxpayers $361,000. Now that the trial is over, some estimates put the cost at $600,000."
  • zeebrazeebra Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,166
    To sum it up...

Media > God
  • LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
  • Lakota72Lakota72 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,267
    amz1301:
    Lakota72:
    Only thing I am wondering is how much this cost the tax payers?
    This is from an article I read yesterday "As of March 2011, this trial was expected to cost Florida taxpayers $361,000. Now that the trial is over, some estimates put the cost at $600,000."
    That's just sickening. If you want to prosecute someone, you damn well better have the funds to do it. The people shouldn't have to pay for a verdict that many didn't even care about. No wonder the economy sucks.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 846
    Cost to taxpayers $600,000. Most likely there will be a book and movie deal. I don't believe the police or the prosection did a very good job. Thirty days before reporting your two year old missing. Lying and saying she left with a baby sitter that doesn't exist... I could have prosecuted this better and I don't have a law degree.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,910
    A quote I read on an internet article this morning, and the real question behind this thread....

"After the verdict, one juror told ABC News that there was not enough evidence to convict Casey but stopped short of saying she was innocent."

Final question for this thread - has America fallen too far towards the LETTER of our laws, and too far away from the INTENT of our laws?

Ready.... GO!

• cabinetmakercabinetmaker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,561
    Definately maybe.
  • skweekzskweekz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,218
    The Sniper:
    Final question for this thread - has America fallen too far towards the LETTER of our laws, and too far away from the INTENT of our laws?

I think we've created a legal system where the letters of the laws have restricted the intent of the laws to the point where a "good" lawyer can get a client freed of anything. How many innocent people are sitting in prison, and how many guilty people walk the streets after committing crime after crime? There are way too many technicalities anymore. The whole system is broken. Our Forefathers are rolling in their graves after seeing what we've done with our country.
  • Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,048
    skweekz:
    The Sniper:

I think we've created a legal system where the letters of the laws have restricted the intent of the laws to the point where a "good" lawyer can get a client freed of anything. How many innocent people are sitting in prison, and how many guilty people walk the streets after committing crime after crime? There are way too many technicalities anymore. The whole system is broken. Our Forefathers are rolling in their graves after seeing what we've done with our country.
    I think you got it wrong bro...a good lawyer can't get any client free....all depends on evidence of a trial.....simple as that....and people always hate the lawyers who are defending the "criminal"...a good student once asked a Lawyer "How do you protect and defend a murderer and go to sleep at night peacefully?"............her answer was this, "I dont defend the murderer.....I look for flaws that the law upholds such as proper handling of evidence, motives, etc...I dont defend the murderer, I only am there to find holes in the law where there shouldnt be holes...." I loved her answer and am completly on her side.....I dont care whether she murdered her own baby or not....NOR am i saying what she did/didnt do was right either...im just saying if they couldnt come up with enough evidence to convict her then stop saying she is guilty....if she is so guilty then why did she get off the hook? OOOOh thats right, the state screwed up the evidence thats how..... Evidence is there to "Prove or disprove a fact within a trial." Like i said, our legal system isnt perfect....but its working the way it should.
    The Sniper:

Joeyjoe21_8:
    ...and as a criminal justice student myself,

Joeyjoe21_8:
    .....I dont care whether she murdered her own baby or not.....

And there you have it folks, in a nutshell.... pretty much says it all.

• VulchorVulchor Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,176
    lolllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
    The Sniper:
    The Sniper:

Joeyjoe21_8:

Joeyjoe21_8:

Lol...I know it sounds selfish and stupid on my part...but honestly....I have way to much going on in my life to sit there and watch a case that she may or may not have been guilty in. And besides..99% of people that are pissed she was not convicted....didnt bother to watch or follow the case at all, only caught the headlines in it.
    Joeyjoe21_8:
    The Sniper:
    The Sniper:

Joeyjoe21_8:

Joeyjoe21_8:

Lol...I know it sounds selfish and stupid on my part...but honestly....I have way to much going on in my life to sit there and watch a case that she may or may not have been guilty in.
    And there you have it folks, in a nutshell.... pretty much says it all, part two.

I know it seems like Im ripping on Joey (sorry about that brother, not intended that way). But, IMHO, this Casey Anthony murder verdict is a microcosm of the reasons this country is falling apart at the seams. Everyone is too caught up in their own stuff to give even the slightest pinch of sh*t about anyone or anything else - until it affects them.
    xmacro:
    I just . . . do not care in the slightest. I never cared about this trial - I have no idea what the verdict is, and honestly just do not care.

Kid is killed by parents? Happens all the time!!!

A great example of what Im talking about. When we start feeling this way as a society, ABOUT our society, we are officially crumbling. Fellas, Im telling you in no uncertain terms, xmacro is an educated man with a good heart. A good man. Ive talked to him enough to know this. And when our society beats us down to the point when good men start saying things like this and feeling this way... it aint good boys, it aint good. (Again, not ripping on xmacro personally, simply illustrating a point).

My next door neighbor lost his job 18 months ago and just had his house foreclosed on? Who gives a d@mn about the economy? Ive still got my job and my house.

Shoddy police work and or poor prosecuting lets a murderer of children get away with the crime? Screw it, wasnt my kid!

Until it IS your job.

Or it IS your kid.

Then its time to jump up and start caring. "How could something like this happen???" And usually with the word VICTIM attached to it.

Want to know how to avoid being a VICTIM? Maybe we as a nation need to start giving a crap about something greater than ourselves.

OK, stepping down off the soapbox now. Time to start the ripping of ME. :-)

Ready.... GO!

has nothing to do with me not caring about her.....has to do with the fact that there was not enough evidence to convict her, so why is everyone complaining on a daily basis about how she is soooo "guilty"....thats the point i was trying to make...too many people try to be the jury on their couch and it doesnt work that way cuz 99% of people have no clue how a case works little lone how the court system runs......
  • ScottCScottC Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 38

Innocent until proven guilty....the prosecution failed to prove she did it.

The media is there to report the news. The media isn't there to declare the truth or make up the news. They just need to report the facts. However, facts often times don't make the story juicy enough so they throw in personal opinion and a lot of bias to make it good TV or a good read. Casey Anthony was "guilty" the day she was hauled in and this case aired on TV. She was a true suspect. Too often the media turns it into "Guilty until proven Innocent" and that is what most people believed. Most people believed she was a shoe in for the Death Penalty even.

As far as facts and what we know; Casey Anthony lied, partied while her daughter was missing, acted very weird and didn't exactly cooperate with police....that is enough to say she was guilty in my eyes (and the medias and it should have been enough for the Jury) but prosecution couldn't prove it for some reason. The jury apparently didn't have enough to convict her so she walks....guilty or innocent? who knows? The difference of those two words once anyone is considered a "suspect" is very, very cloudy.  

• wwesternwwestern Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,386
    It's amazing to me how when a case fails due to a sloppy investigation and lack of evidence everyone screams how the legal system is flawed and we need more rules and regulation. It's a tragedy that the child is dead. Did this horrible *** have something to do with it? In some shape or form undoubtedly yes, but was it intentional? Impossible to tell from the evidence that I saw.

I watched probably 15-20 hours of this trial which is alot more than anyone I know. I saw nothing that would indicate she intentionally killed that child. Hell some of the prosecution's witnesses talked about how she was a good mother.

In short I'm saying it's pretty short sited to call for a reform in the legal system because someone you convicted on an hour or two of tv, out of a trial that went from 5-24-11 to 7-5-11 wasn't found guilty.
  • BlueRingsBlueRings Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 367
    "Victim" is the key word here. The best way for a not guilty verdict is to make them out to be the victim. It was her parents fault, it was her brothers fault, it was everyone else's fault except her own and for her to claim no responsibility for her actions in the murder of her daughter and not pay for it, is the very fabric of America tearing. Even her own attorney couldnt come to terms she didnt have some involvement in it. There wasnt a smoking gun but what everyone failed to note, even the jurors, that child abuse or neglect is a murder 1 conviction if it lead to the child's death, and her neglect was obvious by riding around for 31 days with her lifeless child in the trunk. I guess someone as selfish as her could even think about taking her child to the hospital when found face down in the pool..? Plain and simple but some missed that, even the ones that say there isn't enough evidence to convict.

Truth is everyone feels a sense of entitlement even those that are guilty but hardly does the sense of responsibility ever enter the equation. She walks away from all of this with a smile on her face and a " you too can get away with murder" attitude.
    Entitlement=Victim
    or
    Victim=Entitlement
    or Both???
    BlueRings:
    Watch it from closing arguments on. 31 days you know your daughter is dead and in the trunk of your car???She didn't plan to kill her so it wasn't premeditated. It was a accident from drugging her child so she could go enjoy a night out with friends. She thought that she was still alive returned home and found her dead. There was no evidence she killed her, yes, but she neglected her and tried to sedate her so she could go out??? She murder that child, not murder in cold blood, but murder through child abuse and neglect. That still deserves Murder 1 according to the judges instructions and the jury couldn't do it. Weak and an obvious picture of how desparate things have become in our society.

Funny, this morning they are talking about the judges instructions and how the jury did not listen. They are wondering why she wasn't charged with something even manslaughter.
  • rossdavey2rossdavey2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 979
    Sinper I agree with your last post. It does seem that a lot of people are becoming inward looking.

Maybe this little story will cheer you up. So I got laid off about a month ago, so I have spent more time running around the streets near my house. Saying hello to people out walking the dog or in the yard. Yesterday I was passing a guy who works from home and is always out getting his mail when I pass. We have maybe said hello 3 times. He waves me down and said "I've seen you more this last month than the lasst 2 years. I know you must have lost your job or something". "Yes" I say we talk a little then I am off to finish my run. Later that day as I am driving by he waves me down again. "Man I got this weight bench that I don't use anymore. You want it".

Good people are still around.
  • GoldyGoldy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,636
    Apparently I live under a rock because this is the first I have heard of this trial.
  • wwesternwwestern Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,386
    Goldy:
    Apparently I live under a rock because this is the first I have heard of this trial.
    Nothing to special. Just a story sensationalized by Nancy Grace and her dutch boy haircut.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,561
    Goldy:
    I wish I was you...