Home General Discussion

Humidor at 64-65%...add water pillows?

ZAPZAP Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 164
In my never ending battle with my humidor...just when I thought I had it sitting around 68-69 it seems to have settled at 64-65?   Any thoughts on if I'm best off leaving it there or trying to get it back up to the upper 60's...or just toss them back in the ziplocks where they sit at 72?  Any thoughts appreciated.

Comments

• The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    ZAP:
    In my never ending battle with my humidor...just when I thought I had it sitting around 68-69 it seems to have settled at 64-65?   Any thoughts on if I'm best off leaving it there or trying to get it back up to the upper 60's...or just toss them back in the ziplocks where they sit at 72?  Any thoughts appreciated.
    I would leave them Id rather them be at 65 than 72, May I ask what your using for humidification if anything and how large your humidor is?
  • bipbip Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 483
    Is your hygrometer reading correct? I just checked one of mine today and found out that it is 4% off on the low end
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    I try to keep mine around that %Rh... But you make your own decision...

My Humidor has spiked to about 68-70%Rh but I've let it sit there for my Ambient Rh in Wisconsin is now up as well.

My Fourth of July Smoked swelled up and the wrapper started to burst... It tasted great and smoked the whole way through, but it just looked ugly. I find that when you smoke a cigar that is quite off from the ambient Rh the cigar can go a little goofy...
  • ZAPZAP Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 164
    repost...sorry
    The Kid:
    ZAP:

Just one of those cheapie cherrywood ones..probably a 25 count....it uses that circular humidification piece that came with it...you soak it in distilled water and then it is good for a few weeks...hope that helps...thanks

I would leave them Id rather them be at 65 than 72, May I ask what your using for humidification if anything and how large your humidor is?
    bip:
    Is your hygrometer reading correct? I just checked one of mine today and found out that it is 4% off on the low end

Yeah I've tested it before with the salt test and it is right on..
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    whats your humidification device?

the foam pucks that come with humidors are damn near useless.
  • t_evan50t_evan50 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,725
    The Kid:
    ZAP:
    +1 I'm a fan of the lower RH setting.
  • The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    kuzi16:
    whats your humidification device?

the foam pucks that come with humidors are damn near useless.
    +1 I would suggest using gel crystals/beads/boveda packs... .just something else that performs better in regulating the RH. My personal suggestion would be to score some of the boveda packs (69rh) and with a 25 counter you probably only need one for bout 3 months, Depending on how humid/dry the location is. Take care
  • wwhwangwwhwang Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,863
    If you're comfortable with the lower rh setting like some people are, then just leave it be. Personally, however, I'm more comfortable with my sticks around 67 or 68. The flavors seem to be more prominent around there for me without serious burn problems.

That said, if you're leaning more towards the 67 to 70 range, I highly suggest switching your humidifier to gel or beads if you haven't already. The green foam humidifiers are crap with humidity distribution and are very prone to growing mold.

If you're still having issues getting it up to a comfortable range, then adding humi-pillows or humi-care gel jars will help. That got my sticks through the dry Canadian winter.

Also, before doing any of this, check the seal on your humidor with the dollar bill test. Nothing will help if your humidor is broken.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    The battle is never ending.. Mine sometimes range from 65-70 in a week and they always seem to be enjoyable. Don't lose sleep over them if they stay in that range.
    Hey thanks for all the great advice everyone...time to make some changes and ditch the foam device.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    Whats the dollar bill test? Never heard of this.
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    Rhamlin:
    Whats the dollar bill test? Never heard of this.
    Put a dollar bill on the rim of your humidor and shut the lid on it. Then pull the dollar through. If there is some resistance to you pulling the bill out then the humi is sealing well. If your dollar just pulls right out with no effort then there's a leak in your humi and it will be hard to maintain humidity.

Just be sure to test all sides of the humi with the bill test
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    kaspera79:
    The battle is never ending.. Mine sometimes range from 65-70 in a week and they always seem to be enjoyable. Don't lose sleep over them if they stay in that range.
    BIG +1 here. I think everyone forgets that the RH reading on your hygrometer is what the present RH inside the humi is. However that does NOT mean that this is the RH level of the stick you are smoking. If your RH drops or increases by a few points one day... it will still take time for the sticks inside the humi to reach that RH level, it is not instant.

I always strive to keep my humi within a range and not on a magic number. I really think over thinking this hobby can take away some of the enjoyment of it. There are too many variables to try to control to keep your humi's stable all the time.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    If your humidity varies wildly right now and if your using foam...just wait till winter. Definitely get some beads and a digital rh meter
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    Thanks for the dollar bill test info, I'll have to check that out when I get home just out of curiosity .