Home General Discussion

Spice or Cream

sailingaliensailingalien Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8
While I am still a novice I have realized that cigars generally fall into two categories: Spicy or Creamy. The former provides actions (red pepper and earth) while the latter provides smoothness (milk and thickness). I've always subscribed to the idea that the two cannot coexist in the same cigar and that each of us has our own taste buds. Is a creamy-spicy smoke what we're all after or do each of us really want one more than the other? Do Cuban smokes really ride the middle here? 

Comments

• docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    Cuban smokes tend to be far milder, cleaner, subtle, and smooth than their non-Cuban counterparts, which tend to have darker, spicier flavors, and a lot more strength. The constant NC marketing tactic of calling spicy cigars "Cubanesque" is total BS, when really very few Cuban cigars have the kind of high nicotine, all spicy heat profiles that so many Non-Cubans (especially Nicaraguans) have. I like both spicy and creamy cigars. To say that cigars either fall into one of these categories or the other is... very inaccurate. A cigar can be both, neither, or one then the other as the burn progresses. Tasting cigars is far more complex than simply spicy or creamy.
  • dbeckomdbeckom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,807
    sailingalien:
    While I am still a novice I have realized that cigars generally fall into two categories: Spicy or Creamy. The former provides actions (red pepper and earth) while the latter provides smoothness (milk and thickness). I've always subscribed to the idea that the two cannot coexist in the same cigar and that each of us has our own taste buds. Is a creamy-spicy smoke what we're all after or do each of us really want one more than the other? Do Cuban smokes really ride the middle here? 
    One particular cigar that combines both creamy and spicy flavors is the 601 Black Label Connecticut. I really enjoy this stick and make it a part of my regular rotation.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    dbeckom:
    sailingalien:
    One particular cigar that combines both creamy and spicy flavors is the 601 Black Label Connecticut. I really enjoy this stick and make it a part of my regular rotation.
    That's a good one for sure. Smoked one a couple days ago that had a couple years on it, it held up quite nicely compared to a lot of Conns.
  • dbeckomdbeckom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,807
    j0z3r:
    dbeckom:
    sailingalien:
    That's a good one for sure. Smoked one a couple days ago that had a couple years on it, it held up quite nicely compared to a lot of Conns.
    The 601 Connecticut is definitely one of my favorite Connies. I wasn't that fond of the flavor profile right off the truck, but after a month or so of rest the flavors settled very well...now after several months they're wonderful. Through a little experimentation, I've found that RH levels between 71% & 74% on my 601's and some other Connecticut wrapped cigars really brings the flavors out better than <70% RH.
  • drpepperdudedrpepperdude Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 298
    j0z3r:

Just a heads up Joe, any 601 Blacks you have are now a bit more rare and special. Apparently the 601 Connie has been re-blended and is now the 601 White Label.

I'm so pleased I just picked up a 5-er of Blacks on a jam the other day just in case the re-blends aren't as yummy.

EDIT: Oh, and to stay on topic to OP... I don't know all the different flavors of classifications that cover all cigars... but part of the fun is to get the different experiences and learn which experience you want from day to day and to get better at knowing which stick satisfies the profile you're going for... whatever kind of adjective that might be. So none of this, "yer doin' it wrong" or anything... just experience and enjoy.

• kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    sailingalien:
    interesting.

in nicaragua our group was given the opportunity to blend our own cigars. while heading to the Plasencia factory we were told to think about the flavor profile we would want to go for.

when we got there my wife informed me that she wanted a creamy cigar with spice notes on the finish. she also wanted it to be mild.

we actually spent way more time blending her cigar than we did mine. i feel that we got it there.
    the only problem is that the thing was so mild that im sure after a year those qualities will be gone.
  • JonathanEJonathanE Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 401
    I smoked a cigar last night the exmplifies the fact that a cigar can transition from creamy to spicy. It was an El Baton Torro. I might do a review on it because I was impressed with it even if it's something of an "off brand" from what I've seen.

Anyway, it was AMAZING smooth at first and, after an impressive transition, finished off with just the right amount of spice.

JDE
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    docbp87:
    Cuban smokes tend to be far milder, cleaner, subtle, and smooth than their non-Cuban counterparts, which tend to have darker, spicier flavors, and a lot more strength. The constant NC marketing tactic of calling spicy cigars "Cubanesque" is total BS, when really very few Cuban cigars have the kind of high nicotine, all spicy heat profiles that so many Non-Cubans (especially Nicaraguans) have. I like both spicy and creamy cigars. To say that cigars either fall into one of these categories or the other is... very inaccurate. A cigar can be both, neither, or one then the other as the burn progresses. Tasting cigars is far more complex than simply spicy or creamy.
    I like most of what you said here as I have felt the same way many times when I've heard a cigar was "cubanesque". I did want to clarify that when you say they tend to be milder, you don't mean they tend to be MILD just MILDER than their NC counterparts. They are still more often than not Medium - Full in Body but you will likely never have a ridiculously full bodied Cuban.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
    Here's a "ridiculously full bodied Cuban":

Vida Guerra.... homina homina.
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    JonathanE:
    I smoked a cigar last night the exmplifies the fact that a cigar can transition from creamy to spicy. It was an El Baton Torro. I might do a review on it because I was impressed with it even if it's something of an "off brand" from what I've seen.

Anyway, it was AMAZING smooth at first and, after an impressive transition, finished off with just the right amount of spice.

JDE
    Nice man, I'd be really interested to hear a review on the el baton. and FYI its not really an off brand, but still B&M only I think. I could be wrong, but I think they are a line that is owned by the same people who own Brickhouse which Ccom just started carrying. Its been on my list to try since I enjoy the brickhouse.

So get that review up there man.
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    I find spice to be more of a flavor characteristic, and creamy to be more of an aspect to the aroma and smoke. Cigars can contain one or the other, or both. That's just based on my personal definitions, which are going to vary from person to person. As already mentioned I think cigar flavor is a bit more complex.
  • JonathanEJonathanE Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 401
    boydmcgowan:
    JonathanE:

JDE
    Nice man, I'd be really interested to hear a review on the el baton. and FYI its not really an off brand, but still B&M only I think. I could be wrong, but I think they are a line that is owned by the same people who own Brickhouse which Ccom just started carrying. Its been on my list to try since I enjoy the brickhouse.

So get that review up there man.
    Copy that, sir. I will start on the review when I get off shift tonight.

JDE