Home General Discussion

dead mini-fridge as coolidor?

KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 908
I was out delivering and saw a 'free" sign on a "mini fridge" on the sidewalk. Most likely a broken compressor or something.
30 minutes later the idea hits me, I race back there, and the thing is gone - dang it!

Anyone build a "mini-fridgidor"?
Seems like it could work really well. I like the idea of the vertical orientation, built in shelving, etc. Simply ditch all the electrical components.

And, it would look "nicer" than a cooler - might blend in a bit better.

I'm going to give it a shot next time I come across a freebie/cheapie.

Comments

• skweekzskweekz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,218
    I never thought of this. I have a min-fridge at my parents' house, just sitting there taking up space. I'd love to hear some input on this and if/how it would work.
  • robbyrasrobbyras Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,487
    I've seen threads for Wine fridge humidors... is a regular fridge any different? I mean you can't control the temp, so that could be a problem... but if you don't plug it in it may work... the seal might be too air tight though... someone with more knowledge than myself should be able to answer
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    Should work; if you're handy, you might try replacing the compressor with a thermoelectric cooler, and you'll have yourself a wineador
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,121
    I have a mini-fridge in my garage thats empty!! You just changed my outlook on that fridge! I was going to take it to work since I need a fridge for my lunch...but...my addiction wins this round. Someone needs to chime in and say its an excellent option and I'm in! I bet you can wire in a digital thermostat to have better control of the temp! Throw in some rH beads and BAM...room for more cigars!
  • wwesternwwestern Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,386
    You just need to make sure it moves air. I'd put an oasis or something of the like in it. If you keep it in a climate control area you won't have to worry about temp.
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    Smells left over would be the major issue, but I don't think it's insurmountable. My Dad has a friend who does this, so it can work. I don't know how well though. I've never talked to him about it. I just know that he has a few and that's how he stores his sticks.
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 908
    Defintely doable I'm thinking.
    Moving air - a few options here - they make those little battery operated fans for RV fridges - about the size of a small apple - pretty cool. Other ideas here come to mind as well - small 12 volt hard-wired fan - pretty easy set-up. Computer tower fan would work to and you can pick up a cheap power supply.

I would not use any of the fridge components. Temperature isn't an issue in most applications I'm thinking cause it will likely be in your house somewhere.

The air seal being too tight? - I need to think about that one for a day or so- but I'm pretty sure that's not an deal breaker for me.

Smells? Unless someone let smoked salmon rot in there for a month while it was unplugged, I'm sure a good solid week being left open on your back porch, following a good cleaning, will eliminate almost any odor.

Just think of it - it's sitting on an end table - you walk up, and open it like a fridge door, reach in - grab a stick, life is good.
    For me, it's gonna be a better option than a cooler down the road.
    I see issues with having a cooler in the house - no place to "hide" it.
    Mini fridge a different story.

• blurrblurr Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 962
    I'd say its doable, search wine frigidoor setups on puff or some others to get a good idea how to set this up. This is no different than a wine cooler humidor other than the fact you can't use the cooling aspect. Lots of people have their wine cooler humidors unplugged and its just a fridge with cedar and beads. I'd do it if I had a spare fridge, I've actually been looking around to locate one. I'm going to line the walls with cedar planks after cleaning and airing out for a week, then just use conservagel beads for humidity. You may have to open it at least once a month to let out some air and excess ammonia/gases but I think its going to be a good humidor.
    After excitedly telling my wife all about this new project idea, she informs me that she also has an old minifridge sitting in her parents' basement as well. So she suggested I make two! (what a woman!) I'm in the process of googling fridgidors at the moment.

I'm just wondering how well this would hold up against high humidity levels in a basement. I'd have to keep both of them down in my basement, and it's a humidity trap down there. I'm assuming it'd be okay since the fridge would have an air-tight seal. I have a de-humidifier down there but I hate to keep it running because it kills my electricty bill. Anyone have any experience with keeping coolidors and the like in a humid basement? At the very least, I could get it set up down there and keep an eye on the RH levels inside the fridge for a week or two before moving sticks inside...
  • JonathanEJonathanE Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 401
    Sounds like a good idea to me! Plenty of space and not too high maintenance. Out here in the desert I set the mni fridge to its lowest setting to get the temp down. It's a little on the chilly side but it's sure better than 100 °F!

I keep a humidor inside the fridge to better control the humidity.

JDE
  • HeavyHeavy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,590
    Just thinking out loud here re: the air seal being too tight. Do you think you could instert a couple of small straws or tubes through the exterior seal? You could keep them flush with the rubber seal so they're not sticking up and wouldn't really be visible.

I'm not sure if I'm describing this very well, but I think you could drill a little hole through the rubber seal from the top, insert a small straw/tube and make sure it is flush with the seal to create a little air exchange. Now if it would be too much air or not enough would be a shot in the dark and probably take some experimenting. Not sure if that would work or if it's even really feasible - just a thought.
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    skweekz:
    After excitedly telling my wife all about this new project idea, she informs me that she also has an old minifridge sitting in her parents' basement as well. So she suggested I make two! (what a woman!) I'm in the process of googling fridgidors at the moment.

I'm just wondering how well this would hold up against high humidity levels in a basement. I'd have to keep both of them down in my basement, and it's a humidity trap down there. I'm assuming it'd be okay since the fridge would have an air-tight seal. I have a de-humidifier down there but I hate to keep it running because it kills my electricty bill. Anyone have any experience with keeping coolidors and the like in a humid basement? At the very least, I could get it set up down there and keep an eye on the RH levels inside the fridge for a week or two before moving sticks inside...
    Man, if you got two, and if even one is functional and large enough, I strongly suggest researching converting one to a keggerator.
    Ken Light:
    Man, if you got two, and if even one is functional and large enough, I strongly suggest researching converting one to a keggerator.

Both are functional, but sitting in the basement, unplugged, taking up space. Neither would be big enough to convert though; they're the small dorm type. And I already have a full size fridge with a tap in it :0)
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    skweekz:
    Ken Light:

Both are functional, but sitting in the basement, unplugged, taking up space. Neither would be big enough to convert though; they're the small dorm type. And I already have a full size fridge with a tap in it :0)
    Oh, nice, you're way ahead of me then. Great to have a tap in your house, isn't it? So much less trash and hassle at parties. Unfortunately my keggerator isn't quite wide enough for most full width barrels so I usually end up getting sixtles.
    Yeah it's pretty nice having it nearby. Although I have to admit, it gets to be a pain hauling the keg down the steps, then carrying mugs/pitchers of beer back up. It's probably been six months since I've had a keg on.

So my plan for converting these things to fridgadors is to clean and air them out for a few days to remove any smells and whatnot. Then I'm gonna get some conservagel 65% beads and keep in plastic containers on the trays that are on the doors. Obtain and calibrate digital hygrometers. Then put it all in the basement for a couple weeks of a trial period to see how they do with temperature/RH down there. If all goes as planned, I should be able to start adding stock to them after that. I'd like to be able to just use a couple of oust fans in them for air circulation. Any other ideas or suggestions (keeping in mind, I'd like to keep this as budget-friendly as possible)?
  • blurrblurr Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 962
    Don't forget several boxes or pieces of Spanish Cedar, you will have a much easier time controlling a steady RH, I wouldn't do it without a few good size chunks of wood.

I think its going to work a lot easier than you are preparing for, when you get those beads in and realize its holding steady for over a month without fluctuations at 65%. In my opinion you may not even need oust fans but it won't hurt to have one or 2 to turn on a couple times a day. Keep us informed once you get it up and running, & include some pics.