Home General Discussion

Hypothetical Question/Situation

JCizzleJCizzle Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,910
Consider a place where cigarette smokers take frequent smoke breaks at work. For example, some guys here smoke 1.5 packs per day. Mutiply 5 minutes or so by X smoke breaks, you can see how it adds up. What if you took an hour or so to smoke a cigar? If anyone said anything about it you could just say "well, so-and-so spends 1.5 hours per day smoking, why can't I take 45 minutes?"

Thoughts?

Comments

• mfotismfotis Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 720
    Sounds good to me, I sorta already have that same policy. I'll take longer lunchs leave a little earlier etc.
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    I like your thinking, but, reality sets in and they'd just come down on the cigarette smokers and everyone would be more unhappy than they are now :( and blame you :c
  • skweekzskweekz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,218
    I agree with you wholeheartedly. But how many people go out for that "quick smoke" and only take a few drags off of their cigarette then throw away better than half of it? Once I settle in with a cigar, I'm typically into it until it starts to burn finger prints off.

And Amos has a good point, they'd use the excuse to blame you/us as cigar smokers for "abusing the system."
  • xIcedGuardianxxIcedGuardianx Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 873
    Also.. With small and frequient breaks, most people don't count how many breaks or notice they are gone. With a whole 45 min., it's obvious. Not saying it's right but there's something psychological behind it all I'm sure.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    I used to work at this place where more than half the employees were cigarette smokers. They would take a 5 min break almost every 30 mins.
    I got sick and tired of trying to handle all the clients and do all the floor work while they smoked. It usually meant I didn't get a break.
    So one day I caught on go outside with them and and pretend to poke around on my phone in the corner while they smoke.

It was the only way I got a break.

• kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    Amos Umwhat:
    I like your thinking, but, reality sets in and they'd just come down on the cigarette smokers and everyone would be more unhappy than they are now :( and blame you :c
    exactly.
    When someone points out a waste of time at work with the intent of joining in on it, the waste of time gets fixed.
  • mfotismfotis Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 720
    At 4-5 dollars for pack cigarettes, I’ve never seen someone go out take a few hits and then run back in. Usually it’s “hmm smoke break time” then they saunter on down to their smoking buddies desk and ask if they wanna go burn one, and of course they do but they weren’t ready so they take time to lock their computer, arrange their stuff and grab their smokes. After this it’s on down to the smoking area where there is 50 % smoking and 50% gossiping and then they saunter on back to their desk. I’ve never seen a smoker power walk to the door, kill a cigarette then power walk back to work. No, it’s a 10-20 minute ordeal at least once if not twice an hour. When I want to smoke a cigar at work I just tack in on to my lunch break but this is me.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
    JCizzle:
    Consider a place where cigarette smokers take frequent smoke breaks at work. For example, some guys here smoke 1.5 packs per day. Mutiply 5 minutes or so by X smoke breaks, you can see how it adds up. What if you took an hour or so to smoke a cigar? If anyone said anything about it you could just say "well, so-and-so spends 1.5 hours per day smoking, why can't I take 45 minutes?"

Thoughts?
    Unfortunately in the work place perception is what its all about....most people don't think about how much time cigarette smokers take in a day, cigarettes seem like a 5 min thing and people just don't add it up....with a cigar, you're looking at much more time and that is what the perception is...
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    JCizzle:

Thoughts?
    See, this is why math is evil. Your numbers work out, but your productivity will probably take a bigger hit than theirs will. The attention span of a worker isn't all that long, so frequent short breaks work fairly well to let you drift and come back working hard again. Not saying that's what all your co-workers do, but theoretically it is possible. Your one long break will damage your focus when you get back, and if you sacrifice small breaks the rest of the day that performance will degrade as well. Sorry, but sometimes 5 minutes x times doesn't equal 5x minutes.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    Ken Light:
    JCizzle:

Thoughts?
    See, this is why math is evil. Your numbers work out, but your productivity will probably take a bigger hit than theirs will. The attention span of a worker isn't all that long, so frequent short breaks work fairly well to let you drift and come back working hard again. Not saying that's what all your co-workers do, but theoretically it is possible. Your one long break will damage your focus when you get back, and if you sacrifice small breaks the rest of the day that performance will degrade as well. Sorry, but sometimes 5 minutes x times doesn't equal 5x minutes.
    Agreed. It is actual policy some places that workers take a 5 minute break every hour for just this reason, it increases productivity, at least in theory.
  • JCizzleJCizzle Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,910
    Thanks for the input, everyone. For the record, this is not a problem where I work, but I have observed it throughout the various jobs I've had.

I would never expect a company to pay me for a cigar break, although I do it, I just don't abuse it and the work gets done. I could also see a situation where the "waste of time gets fixed" but purposely. Like Stephen's example, if everyone was constantly taking a break and I finally got fed up and lit up a double corona for 90 minutes, then management would "ruin it for everyone." However, I'd venture to say that cigar smokers don't need to take a cigar break and can go without. You all get what I'm saying.
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,121
    Amos is upper management material. As soon as you point out how much time they are wasting, it will become obvious to management and everyone will pay. So you wouldn't be joining in on "smoking" time. You'd be cutting back the "smoking" time for everyone else. You're trying to catch a break, but coiuld end up spoiling things for everyone. Just be careful how you approach that subject if you decide to bring it up at the next meeting!
  • Unthought_KnownUnthought_Known Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 454
    Ken Light:
    JCizzle:

Thoughts?
    I was going to post the same thing. Short, frequent breaks are much different than a long break when it comes to productivity.

As for the actual breaks, if I wanted a cigar during work I'd do it on my lunch break when I have an hour to spare. I've never actually done it though - I'd rather not smell like smoke when I go back to the office.
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    Imagine how productive you would be if you could have that cigar, at your desk, while you work.
    I'm fortunate enough to have my own office, and a window immediately next to my desk. I'll crack the window, light a big ole stoggie and visit it all morning, while I'm being productive.
    beatnic:
    Imagine how productive you would be if you could have that cigar, at your desk, while you work.
    I'm fortunate enough to have my own office, and a window immediately next to my desk. I'll crack the window, light a big ole stoggie and visit it all morning, while I'm being productive.
    If only academia was still a place where people wore tweed jackets with elbow patches and carried pipes to puff on thoughtfully...sigh...
    Ken Light:
    beatnic:
    If only academia was still a place where people wore tweed jackets with elbow patches and carried pipes to puff on thoughtfully...sigh...
    Hmmm, I see.
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    beatnic:
    Now THIS makes sense!
  • JonathanEJonathanE Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 401
    JCizzle:
    However, I'd venture to say that cigar smokers don't need to take a cigar break and can go without. You all get what I'm saying.
    Concur
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    JonathanE:
    JCizzle:
    However, I'd venture to say that cigar smokers don't need to take a cigar break and can go without. You all get what I'm saying.
    Concur
    I often tell people that in the future, when I'm teaching, I will find a school that will allow me to smoke inside, or my class will be held al fresco - in other words, I will definitely have the tweed jacket and pipe-in-hand either way.
    Hays:
    JonathanE:
    JCizzle:
    Concur
    I often tell people that in the future, when I'm teaching, I will find a school that will allow me to smoke inside, or my class will be held al fresco - in other words, I will definitely have the tweed jacket and pipe-in-hand either way.
    Man, if you find that school, check and see if they want a neuroscientist/biopsychologist!
    NO! No! Not the tweed jacket. We've evolved!! LOL
    In 1973, smoking was still allowed in the auditorium classrooms at LSU.
  • JCizzleJCizzle Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,910
    Hays:
    JonathanE:
    JCizzle:
    Concur
    And I will be registering for your classes.