Home General Discussion

newbie growing pains...............

KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 908
Back in the 70s/80s/early 90s when I was into this stuff - I never had more than 20 or co cigars lying around in my smallish humidor. Then I quit for 15 years, and now that I've started up again recently I got this horrible growing obsession that my supply of sticks is too small.
It really sucks, because I'm already feeling guilty about how much I'm spending on sticks.

So now I have 73 sticks, with 23 more coming next Tuesday, and it's simply a painfully inadequate supply of stock - at least that's my perception nowadays.

My humi is rapidly nearing capacity, and my cheapo small humi is my emergency dry box, and my nice Ashton Travel humi only holds 15-20.

So I'm at the usual second humi/cooler cross-road - nice!

I'm wondering "when" I'll have that satisfied feeling that I don't need to order any sticks.
My preliminary guess is 200.................................am I close??

Comments

• xIcedGuardianxxIcedGuardianx Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 873
    It never goes away... Sometime the voice in your head will talk at a lower volume, but he will NEVER shut up. I'm in between 200 and 300 I think and even though I feel guilty everytime I open my Coolidor, I will always have amnesia when I'm on this website. It is like Im completely out of cigars.
  • MTuccelliMTuccelli Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,587
    KingoftheCove:
    Back in the 70s/80s/early 90s when I was into this stuff - I never had more than 20 or co cigars lying around in my smallish humidor. Then I quit for 15 years, and now that I've started up again recently I got this horrible growing obsession that my supply of sticks is too small.
    It really sucks, because I'm already feeling guilty about how much I'm spending on sticks.

So now I have 73 sticks, with 23 more coming next Tuesday, and it's simply a painfully inadequate supply of stock - at least that's my perception nowadays.

My humi is rapidly nearing capacity, and my cheapo small humi is my emergency dry box, and my nice Ashton Travel humi only holds 15-20.

I'm wondering "when" I'll have that satisfied feeling that I don't need to order any sticks.

NO I don't think you are close at all. Welcome to the club, the same thing happened to me and after several humidors I moved to a coolidor. My only mistake was not buying the biggest cooler out there.
  • robbyrasrobbyras Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,487
    KingoftheCove:

you have a PM
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 908
    crap! I need to stop at 200 - the $$ situation dictates that.
    I also did some "cigar math" - figured I will stick to Fr-Sun smoking only, so that's gonna be about 25 sticks a month for me - 5-10 for friends - call it a stick per day habit.

So then you figure they need to rest 60 days or more, and so on, etc.
    Yep - I'm figuring 200 is my magic number. When I get down to 170-180 or so, order 20 to 30 more.

Cooler or bigger humi is my next issue - everything I've read here says BIG cooler...........................I have one.......................already designed the thing in my head....but if I can "steal" a large humi off Craisgslist, I might go that route. (Picked up my nice Ashton travel humi real cheap that way)
  • DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
    Im probably sitting around a thousand and if there wasn't a god@mn postal strike I would have added another 14 lol my thirst is never quenched (I usually smoke 3 a day so I have to stock). You seem to be battling a demon within, my advice for what its worth....sit back and enjoy the ride and don't worry about the "rules"...
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    im around 500 and i struggle to not buy more.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
    My addiction fluctuates.... I was up to about 500 at one point. Now I'm around 125. Money has been real tight lately, so I've been cutting down on purchases.

I think once my financial situation turns around and I build that walk-in humi in my basement someday, then the sky is the limit.....
  • big chunksbig chunks Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,607
    I'm about 4 months into this hobby i have about 120 sticks in my humi, and planning a lot more
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    xIcedGuardianx:
    It never goes away... Sometime the voice in your head will talk at a lower volume, but he will NEVER shut up. I'm in between 200 and 300 I think and even though I feel guilty everytime I open my Coolidor, I will always have amnesia when I'm on this website. It is like Im completely out of cigars.
    This is my exact thought. Well stated.
  • Poker SlobPoker Slob Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 996
    I have maybe 700 or 800 sticks, and I keep buying more and more. I try them and if i don't love them, they either go out in bombs or I age them for a year or two. It never, ever ends! But I'm ok with that.
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,121
    I'm in the same boat. I want more sticks, money gets tight with all the house projects, and my humdior is swelling. I thought about a new coolidor but then I'd have an eye swore red cooler hanging out in my bedroom. I guess if my addiction gets any worse...there'll be a bright red symbol of my dedication right next to my side of the bed.
    Holy crap!
    I refuse to go that far down the gopher hole - I will exercise discipline!!!!

(I'm lookin at the Don Pepin Garcia 90+ Rated Sampler flier offer that came in with my smokes..............$29.95!!!!................................I typing here and I keep looking at the damn flyer!!

I'm done for.......................
  • DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
    KingoftheCove:
    Holy crap!
    I refuse to go that far down the gopher hole - I will exercise discipline!!!!
    Hang out here long enough and you will meet the tour guides who'll show you down the hole! lol
    Bwaahhhaaa!!!
    I know that's a fact - there's at least a dozen tour guides I know already - and I've barely been here!

I give my wife grief about her being on Facebook too much (I don't do Facebook).
    This is probably WORSE than facebook!!!
    Now I'm a hypocrite too..................damn cigars...............
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    I'm at around 650-700 now, and I still feel inadequte sometimes. I think I will be happy with a stock of 1,080, then a few to smoke on without going into that stock.
  • HeavyHeavy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,590
    big chunks:
    I'm about 4 months into this hobby i have about 120 sticks in my humi, and planning a lot more
    First, welcome!!

Second, run for your life!! Or, just prepare to enjoy a life of insurmountable debt and great cigars. The cigars kinda take the edge off of the insurmountable debt thing. But whatever, the choice is yours.
  • big chunksbig chunks Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,607
    thanks, the way i see it when I "catch up" to all the cigars i want to try then I guess ill only spend half my money on cigars, lol
  • mfotismfotis Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 720
    To answer your question, I would go with a cooler. Its cheaper, easier to maintain and will hold ten times more cigars then any liked priced humi.

I have a full 100 CT a full 20 CT and a full cooler, all in all prob 500-650 sticks. Since i've filled the cooler i've slowed down dramatically. Now I buy the must haves and the COTM only. Hope this helps.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,377
    I'll give you the same advice I give everyone new here... Buy a bigger humidor and get a second job!

Welcome aboard.
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    Easy solution: stop counting...math is the crutch of idiots anyway. Just upgrade and improvise space as necessary. :)